Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Off Season Boat Projects - What Are You Doing?

Murphy8166

Had to put the boat up a bit earlier this year with the up coming birth of our first child here in a couple weeks. As most of us do, I have already started working on a list of things I'd like to do over the winter. Here is my list!

Ballast Upgrades:

• Upgrade to 1100's in the rear compartments and a 370 under the passenger side seats
  • Plumb sacs in with Johnson reversible pumps
  • Reinforce engine divider panels
  • Upgrade from Acme 537 to 1235

Bimini Upgrades:

• Sew in large pockets on top of bimini top to hold surf boards

Stereo Upgrades:

• Upgrade interior speakers to the Wet Sounds XS-650's (this is pretty low priority_

Probably wont get started until after Turkey Day but looking forward to making it all happen.

What are your upgrades and plans for over the winter.

Vertical trim tabs for surfing, upgrading Pro 80"s to Rev 10"s, tinting glass, raise seat, in boat mister system with water tank (trying to buy more time on lake when it is 105 all weekend).

Upgrade to 750's in lockers with piggy back system. Add one more hot tube, an Exile ZLD, an Ipad w/mount, maybe add some carbon fiber here and there, some led's in the cup holders, and an F2 tongue jack. I doubt I will be able to get all these upgrades, but never the less, they are on my to do list. :)

My list is daunting:

-Replace cutlass bearings

-Replace rudder bushings

-Replace rub rail

-Rebuild carb

-Replace fuel pump

-Remove/repair engine lid strut mounts

-Repaint tower

-Repaint trailer & add new decals

-Repair & reinforce rear seat supports

-Install HU and sub

-Repair/replace 1 speaker

-Install depth guage

-Fab some sort of gate type thing that will help the surf wake

Getting started this weekend.

As far as some surf sacs for the bimini - I have found some pictures that a guy over on the tige forum did.

He used a mesh netting in order to keep the moisture trapping down. His upholsterer not want to put a large piece of Sunbrella on top of the bimini for mositure/mold related issues. The corners of the mesh metting are bound as you can see but the pocket opening is bound with elastic binding so that it can give a little and hold the board in. The black patch is textured neoprence which provides great grip action when the pad of the surf board and the neoprene mate.

The only think I am going to add is a small piece of sunbrella stiched to the bimini where the mose of the board is so that more rockered boards will have not tear up the original binimini material.

The place that did the blue one is Jospehs Upholstery in WA state but I have some pretty good shops in DFW that I am going to give them a shot at trying this out.

Here are some pictures.

biminiempty.jpg

2biminiclose.jpg

• Like 3

SWEET idea.

I am not tracking that the fabric on our G3 biminis is removeable...unless you dissassemble all the pole and bracket assy or cut along the stitch lines??

I have actually been playing around with the idea of adding some type of way to be able to carry a big standup paddle board on the tower. always a BIG hit when we are out on the water for a full day. was thinking along the lines or modifying a car roof carrier to the top of the G3 or modifying a kneeboard/surf tower rack so its much wider.

Edited by nyryan2001

I have actually been playing around with the idea of adding some type of way to be able to carry a big standup paddle board on the tower. always a BIG hit when we are out on the water for a full day. was thinking along the lines or modifying a car roof carrier to the top of the G3 or modifying a kneeboard/surf tower rack so its much wider.

HEhe, I am anxiously awaiting seeing what you come up with here.

Because the paddleboards are so big & cumbersome, we rarely do both the paddleboard & the boat at the same time. They are a huge PITA to haul around.

However..... I am thinking that a boat I've posted in the past would easily do the job. This MC with the trampoline tower was built by some guys I know of down in Houston. Although it was not built with this purpose in mind, it would easily haul a number of paddleboards on top, and have plenty of shade underneath for everyone.

264809893107_0_BG.jpg

HEhe, I am anxiously awaiting seeing what you come up with here.

Because the paddleboards are so big & cumbersome, we rarely do both the paddleboard & the boat at the same time. They are a huge PITA to haul around.

However..... I am thinking that a boat I've posted in the past would easily do the job. This MC with the trampoline tower was built by some guys I know of down in Houston. Although it was not built with this purpose in mind, it would easily haul a number of paddleboards on top, and have plenty of shade underneath for everyone.

264809893107_0_BG.jpg

Ah yes, I recall this boat from earlier pics. I think I have an old school printed pic of an old style (big) windsurfer stuffed onto a 17' Bayliner Mutiny I/O (my family's boat as a teenager) maybe I'll scan it and post if for grins.

BTW - Bill that link is to a private photo album.

Upgrade speakers (exile or wetsounds, havent decided yet), install amp, add a battery.

Put on a 515 prop

Insulate the engine cover

Re-teak the rear deck

Install depth gauge

Repair the rear hatches, hinges, struts...I hit the garage with them up :cry:

I think that is all on the boat. I also want to upgrade some ski equipment...maybe a Senate C or Carbon V???? I have to sneek that one past the wife!

Fully plumb in additional ballast bags similar to what Brett B. did using Johnson reversibles

Replace tiller arm with weighted tiller arm, replace steering cable and possibly the tilt mechanism (REALLY want that rattle in my steering wheel gone!)

Get 1235 prop

Fix tear in vinyl (board flew off rack last week :Frustrated: )

Make some cover modifications for cleats, less poles, etc.

Edited by Love2Ride

Ah yes, I recall this boat from earlier pics. I think I have an old school printed pic of an old style (big) windsurfer stuffed onto a 17' Bayliner Mutiny I/O (my family's boat as a teenager) maybe I'll scan it and post if for grins.

BTW - Bill that link is to a private photo album.

Sorry, changed it.

I can imagine that using a ladder rack from a pickup truck, added to an exisiting tower, could be a similar setup. Not sure I'd want a bimini that big though. And I'd have to be doing it to an older boat like that 205. Not sure I'm ready to mod the Vride that much yet. :Doh:

Heres a pic of us loaded up after a week on a floating campsite on Oroville for the NorCal WOW a couple years ago. It ain't pretty but got the job done.

IMG_2307.jpg

1235 Prop

750's in the lockers

Finish Upholstery

Bow Ballast

Create a removable Surfgate

Popup Cleats

Install Transom Remote

Fix Perfect Pass

Maybe build another surfboard?

Edited by CincyVLX

For those who are buying new props - it might be worth your wait b/c it sounds like D-Goose will be putting together a group buy on this in the Spring. The more props we buy, the better deal we can get

Edited by Murphy8166

For those who are buying new props - it might be worth your wait b/c it sounds like D-Goose will be putting together a group buy on this in the Spring. The more props we buy, the better deal we can get

I'll hold off. Looking forward to a group buy!

1. Purchase/install a Polk Audio D5000.5 to run my in-boats and sub
  2. By doing the above, rewire my tower speakers from 2-channel 2-ohm off my D4000.4 into 4-channel mode. This will add an additional 25 watts RMS for each tower speaker.
  3. Install new sub and enclosure
  4. Do a whole bunch of re-wiring to clean up the wire mess I currently have
  5. Purchase/Install an Alpine Imprint box to better tune the audio
  6. Purchase/Install either Clarion or Exile zone controller
  7. Purchase/Install two dry cell batteries to relocate under the observer seat with a Perko switch + associated wiring
  8. Hopefully someone will have a manual surf-gate for sale...purchase/install that
  9. If #8 happens, re-plumb the Y-valve that feeds my underseat port bag to run off the bow pump instead of the starboard locker pump
  10. Might do a ski locker bag. If so, bag + another reversible pump. Or not do #9 and Y-valve the ski locker bag with the front pump.
  11. Replace skin on rear port seat as it has a tear in it
  12. If I've got spare cash after all of this (probably not), replace manual wedge/bracket with a floating unit
  13. Recarpet my bunks. Might replace the wood, need to replace the fasteners.
  14. Interior LED upgrade. This is a mod for the wife...who I also informed will be funding that project. May do an underwater LED as well...again, funded by the wife if I do it.
  15. Replace two of my broken bearing buddies. Likely have to replace the bearings on that axle as well.
  16. Maybe do LED lighting on the trailer. Again, if cash is burning a hole in my pocket.
  17. Maybe do 18" wheels with new fenders on the trailer. This may wait another year...I do have use for the current wheels/tires on the trailer for use on my car hauler though.

I'm sure there is more I will edit/add to this list.

Edited by Nitrousbird

I am adding a surf gate. My son is always trying to surf from side to side. Once I showed him the video clip form Malibu he said he has to have one of those.