Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs. LSV23

reastwood79

I'm curious what is the difference between the two wakes? Which one is better and why? What is a ballpark price for a lsv with a 383? I'm close to purchasing one and I just have some questions I need help answering. Is the hammerhead a good engine for that boat? What problems if any has anyone experienced with it?

I'm curious what is the difference between the two wakes? Which one is better and why? What is a ballpark price for a lsv with a 383? I'm close to purchasing one and I just have some questions I need help answering. Is the hammerhead a good engine for that boat? What problems if any has anyone experienced with it?

I have rode behind both and I can't tell the difference. The LSV is just a 1-1/2' longer version of the VLX, IMHO.

I have the Hammerhead 383 in my LSV and it is awesome. Yahoo.gif No problems at all. Plenty of power everywhere. Definitely worth the extra $$.

If you want to buy used, I have an 05 LSV with the Hammerhead 383 for sale HERE. The boat is in excellent condition. We are just in the process of ordering another boat, different style.

year models would be helpful

I assume he is referring to an 05 or 06 since those are the only models that had the Hammerhead 383 available.

I assume he is referring to an 05 or 06 since those are the only models that had the Hammerhead 383 available.

You sure ?

You sure ?

Positive :)

Welcome to the site!

Assuming that you're talking about the '06 models, the wakes are very similar, the biggest difference between the boats being that the VLX will need a little less weight to achieve the same wake vs. the LSV (LSV is longer & wider = more surface area to sink). If you're trying to decide between the 2 boats, figure that the VLX is very comfortable with up to 8 people. Beyond that the LSV will be more comfortable with more people, so think about how many you'll be taking with you regularly.

As for the engine, I have the 383 in my VLX & I've spent some time in Stewart's boat. After having mine, I wouldn't go back. This thing is awesome! When you load it down is where it really shines.

Friendly wager posistive ?

Definitely. :) But, were talking true model years for the 383. Not some bastard 04 that blew a 380 and got a 383 replacement. :lol:

Welcome to the site!

Assuming that you're talking about the '06 models, the wakes are very similar, the biggest difference between the boats being that the VLX will need a little less weight to achieve the same wake vs. the LSV (LSV is longer & wider = more surface area to sink). If you're trying to decide between the 2 boats, figure that the VLX is very comfortable with up to 8 people. Beyond that the LSV will be more comfortable with more people, so think about how many you'll be taking with you regularly.

As for the engine, I have the 383 in my VLX & I've spent some time in Stewart's boat. After having mine, I wouldn't go back. This thing is awesome! When you load it down is where it really shines.

I would also add that the LSV has less bow rise than the VLX and handles rougher water better. If you cruise around on smoother lakes the VLX is just fine, but if it gets rough the LSV is a better choice.

Again, both boats are very similar. Just some subtle differences.

Ether way, get the 383, you won't be sorry.

Good call on the bow rise, it's the one significant thing about my boat that I would change if I could (well, that & the lack of Power Wedge, but that one's my fault).

Sounds like Tracie needs a new boat! Tongue.gif

Friendly wager posistive ?

Definitely. :) But, were talking true model years for the 383. Not some bastard 04 that blew a 380 and got a 383 replacement. :lol:

Sorry I guess you meant 383 not "Hammerhead" no more arguement. Notworthy.gif

I have rode behind both and I can't tell the difference. The LSV is just a 1-1/2' longer version of the VLX, IMHO.

I have the Hammerhead 383 in my LSV and it is awesome. Yahoo.gif No problems at all. Plenty of power everywhere. Definitely worth the extra $$.

If you want to buy used, I have an 05 LSV with the Hammerhead 383 for sale HERE. The boat is in excellent condition. We are just in the process of ordering another boat, different style.

Stewart,

I have not heard what is next!!! Could you let us in on the "different style"? Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

He is looking at a triple pontoon complete with a pirate flag....

My bet is a WS 247

I don't know, the X45 is looking pretty sweet :)

I agree with Tracie's comments on the wake. To me the shape is very similar but the stock VLX wake will be a little bit bigger. The diminished bow rise on the LSV is nice though.

I don't necessarily agree that with a crew less than 8 most of the time that you should get the VLX. We don't always have a crew of 12, but we really like the extra space to stretch out when we just have 6 or 7 in our LSV. There are plenty of seats in the VLX for 6 or 7 but spending all day on that boat the area seems to become really tight. When taking our carpet insert out and laying it on the ground...it almost makes me panic thinking how much little room you even have to walk around even in the bigger boat. It is so much less space than you think while you are on the boat.

Also, when you are comparing apples to apples (standard LSV item that are VLX options) then the price really isn't that different. When we did the math the $4K difference in MSRP dropped to just over $1K after they were similarly equipped.

Either way they are both awesome boats!

I agree with Tracie's comments on the wake. To me the shape is very similar but the stock VLX wake will be a little bit bigger. The diminished bow rise on the LSV is nice though.

I don't necessarily agree that with a crew less than 8 most of the time that you should get the VLX. We don't always have a crew of 12, but we really like the extra space to stretch out when we just have 6 or 7 in our LSV. There are plenty of seats in the VLX for 6 or 7 but spending all day on that boat the area seems to become really tight. When taking our carpet insert out and laying it on the ground...it almost makes me panic thinking how much little room you even have to walk around even in the bigger boat. It is so much less space than you think while you are on the boat.

Also, when you are comparing apples to apples (standard LSV item that are VLX options) then the price really isn't that different. When we did the math the $4K difference in MSRP dropped to just over $1K after they were similarly equipped.

Either way they are both awesome boats!

I was amazed going from a an LSV to a VLX how much bowrise the VLX had. I had never given it prior thought.