Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota for tow vehicle?

Steve B.

63k is just nuts. At the same time Q7 pricing is insane if you ask me, and I'm a die-hard Audiphile.

CPO Sequoia's are the way to go if that's the path you're on. I bought my 2008 Tundra CPO last March, 2.9% financing through Toyota. It was about $15k less than a fully loaded new equivalent. 18 months later I've had -0- problems with it, towed the Buzer probably 30+ times, including at least a dozen trips over the mountains, and it's worth almost as much today as it was the day I bought it. It has depreciated almost nil. And (save for perhaps a little to be desired in the fuel mileage dept.) I still love driving it. It's a very capable vehicle.

Audi (and others) also do CPO warranties. For me, Toyota has become the most lacklust, bland brand out there. They used to make vehicles people desired. Supra, MR2, Celica All-Trac, 4-Runners that weren't soccer mom turds, etc. Now they are the blandest A to B machines going. Have to upgrade to a Lexus to buy something with a heart beat, yet Toyota thinks they still deserve to charge premium price for all of their stuff.

If the Q7 doesn't cut it for the same money as that Toyota, there is always the BMW X5 xDRIVE35d. Don't need to haul as many passengers? Mercedes Benz ML550 will get it done. Or a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. All of these will also tow better than the Toyota.

I like American vehicles as well. For that low 60's Toyota wants to load up theirs, I'd consider an Escalade or a Yukon Denali. For me, I wouldn't buy any of the above new, but CPO warranty used.

To help bring this back on topic for the OP as jk13 is trying to do.... another question, along with year, is which v8? I know in 07 (first year of the larger body styles) and maybe beyond they put the 4.7 and the 5.7 in them. The 4.7 was mated to a 5 speed and I got 14.4 mph at 70 mph on the interstate!! I would say it was just barely adequate to pull my vride. On the other hand the 5.7 is mated to a 6 speed which equals way better gas mileage and way more hp and torque for towing. Jm2c

Edited by Ndawg12

On the other hand the 5.7 is mated to a 6 speed which equals way better gas mileage and way more hp and torque for towing. Jm2c

+1. Having towed boats with both a 4.7L Tundra and a 5.7L Tundra, the 5.7 is leagues ahead of the 4.7. Way more power, at every point in the rev range.

Audi (and others) also do CPO warranties. For me, Toyota has become the most lacklust, bland brand out there. They used to make vehicles people desired. Supra, MR2, Celica All-Trac, 4-Runners that weren't soccer mom turds, etc. Now they are the blandest A to B machines going. Have to upgrade to a Lexus to buy something with a heart beat, yet Toyota thinks they still deserve to charge premium price for all of their stuff.

If the Q7 doesn't cut it for the same money as that Toyota, there is always the BMW X5 xDRIVE35d. Don't need to haul as many passengers? Mercedes Benz ML550 will get it done. Or a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. All of these will also tow better than the Toyota.

At the same time a Toyota makes more financial sense than just about any vehicle you've compared it to. I personally don't find the Tundra/Sequoia lackluster at all, and my other car is an Audi S4...and my fiance's daily is a BMW 335i. (I agree that the majority of their lineup sucks, but their trucks have always been awesome.)

Warranty, financing, and re-sale value of Toyota trucks (and SUVs) is incomparable if you ask me. I did a lot of comparisons before buying my Tundra last year, and nothing else really came close to the value of it. There are some better looking trucks, and the Audi's/BMW and hell even the Tahoes have a nicer interior by most measures, but the value proposition is untouchable.

And the thing tows like a dream.

(That's all I'll say on the subject...not trying to argue, just giving my counterpoints I guess)

LOL, I just checked out the Sequoia pricing...loaded up that thing is $63,000 MSRP. No thanks!

I can think of plenty of other capable vehicles for 63k I'd rather have. A TDI Q7 to start with, a FAR nicer vehicle for the money. I'm sure I can list several other better SUV's for the money.

Not going to comment on how the Toyota tows since I've not driven one. But WOW that's a lot! That is right there with the sticker price of my 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7! It also was loaded up with every option! Which is also only about $1000 from the price of the same loaded up F350!

And yes I know its not an eight passenger SUV. Just commenting on the price.

I heard on the radio this morning that a Toyota Tundra will be towing the space shuttle to it's final resting place (granted, it's only the last 1/4 mile); www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Tundra-To-Tow-Space-Shuttle-Endeavour-To-Retirement-72431 I would imagine if it can tow the shuttle, it shouldn't have any problem towing any 'bu (or two)... but what do I know, I'm a Chevy guy... :chevy:

I heard on the radio this morning that a Toyota Tundra will be towing the space shuttle to it's final resting place (granted, it's only the last 1/4 mile); www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Tundra-To-Tow-Space-Shuttle-Endeavour-To-Retirement-72431 I would imagine if it can tow the shuttle, it shouldn't have any problem towing any 'bu (or two)... but what do I know, I'm a Chevy guy... :chevy:

Now thats how I roll!!

I used to have a 06 chevy Suburban 5.3lt 4x4 and i can tell you it did not stop the boat like I wanted it to > If i needed to stop short fast becuase some idiot in front of me well I would be on top of him in no time. I pull the pass everyweekend to the lake from where i live and the sub was a gutles wonder. I could only pull the pass at about 35mph on a good day, now mind you I am loaded down 55 gals gas in theboat, 20 gals fuel tanks , 35 in the sub, food and gear and kids. I had enough and bought a dmax and never looked back. Now maybe on flat land the toyota would be fine, but not for the grades I pull . I now the the sub has weighs more than the toyota but from a saftey standing for me power and stoping was why i switched. I pull a 23lsv by the way I know it weighs more than yours but you have to think someday this is not the last boat your going to buy right.