Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota for tow vehicle?

Steve B.

I have a 2005 Sequoia and used it to tow my 23' LSV from Seattle to Austin, TX last November. I went through the Rockies and had no problems. With that said, I believe that the brakes are insufficient to handle the 5,000 lb. load (including trailer, gear, and fuel). Even at 4,000 lbs. of weight, I would not use the Sequoia. I purchased a 2012 F-150 with the Ecoboost V-6 and it tows the boat, trailer, and gear very well. The Sequoia is now in the hands of my oldest son. We passed it down to him because it has been a very good vehicle with little to no mechanical issues during the first 95,000 miles and counting.

The Sequoia is a fairly heavy vehicle from what I recall. For comparison, I pull my 96 Sunsetter with an 07 Tundra 4.0 V-6, It pulls just fine and stops very well. I had to test the stopping power just recently. I used to pull my 05 VLX and that was not so good.

Edited by LS-One

As Wiscort said, early Sequoias have sub-par brakes. I don't even like them for slowing the truck itself down.

2007 and later have good big brakes and will tow just about anything.

I personally would never buy a vehicle that you had to remove the timing cover and timing chain to change the water pump. I can change my water pump on my GMC in 30 minutes. You want to change the water pump on a toyota truck or SUV...get ready to spend 1500 at the dealer.

Toyotas are notorious for having the have their timing belts changed earlier than most other cars...I'd see if that was done along with the water pump.

I personally would never buy a vehicle that you had to remove the timing cover and timing chain to change the water pump. I can change my water pump on my GMC in 30 minutes. You want to change the water pump on a toyota truck or SUV...get ready to spend 1500 at the dealer.

Toyotas are notorious for having the have their timing belts changed earlier than most other cars...I'd see if that was done along with the water pump.

Most other autos, won't or don't even make it to that mileage, and its not 1500,try 500-800,at 90000-100000 miles.The 07 and up yota will do fine!!!!!

have owned 2 GM vehicles and have only have to replace on timing chain at 212k miles and only did it b/c we were already in there with a oil pump replacement.

Never changed a water pump until 120k miles and it cost me 250 for a GM pump and an hour of my time.

Toyota's are expensive to work and the over engineering in the engine does not lead to any better longevity that other comparable vehicles out there...just leads to higher repair costs.

It is 1500 when you change the water pump and timing chain. Only a fool would change one and not the other b/c of the cost of labor to get inthere

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 1

My 03 Sequoia has been just fine for pulling the 4K lbs LSV. I agree that brakes are it's weakness, and also the trucks mentioned would have better towing capacity. However, you're probably valuing seating for 8, plus storage too.

My experience is 135k miles with no issues. Oh, and I replaced the timing belt, water pump, cam shaft / crank shaft seals, filter and fluids for $730. Really, you don't have to pay dealer prices like that?

My 03 Sequoia has been just fine for pulling the 4K lbs LSV. I agree that brakes are it's weakness, and also the trucks mentioned would have better towing capacity. However, you're probably valuing seating for 8, plus storage too.

My experience is 135k miles with no issues. Oh, and I replaced the timing belt, water pump, cam shaft / crank shaft seals, filter and fluids for $730. Really, you don't have to pay dealer prices like that?

That sounds more like it .I did my for under 600, at 90000 only because they recomend it..

Toyota's are expensive to work and the over engineering in the engine does not lead to any better longevity that other comparable vehicles out there...just leads to higher repair costs.

Be carefull there are a few toyota guys here. ME included that believe toyota makes a better product

Murphy, Have you ever heard of consumer report. You no that little group that does all the home work for you.

Steve B, I have a 08 Sequoia 5.7 6 speed not a good but great SUV. Facts brakes01-03 and 05 were not that good. 04 and 06 were good. 07 and up are great. I like to take great and make it better when it comes to breaks so I call these guys. http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=BPSPTROTR01&c=BR&year=2008&make=TOYOTA&model=SEQUOIA

The 4.7 is a great motor my friend just sold his 4 Runner with the 4.6 had 220,000 miles on it never had any problems out of it.

90,000 on my Sequoia no problems. My wives Camry Hybrid has 120,000 never had any problems out of it.

I second that buy a dmax and never look back. Some day you think man if i bought the diesel truck i could now pull that 5th wheel i have always wanted. It is alot of maoney but think this way the transmission will never give you a problem best in the market the new motors are very good the best one to buy is the LBZ 05-07 1/2 less smog than the new one no ptox system. I have owned alot of trucks have driven every truck on the market at one time. I told myself that this truck was my last truck i was going to buy. I do have other trucks and cars and use the dmax to haul the boat, car trailer, motorcycle trailer as i do not drive it everyday only to tow. I can not be any :clap:

Yeah, buy a duramax--wait, which 8 passenger SUV did they put that in again?

You know what, just buy a Peterbuilt and be done with it. Should be enough for that little Sunsetter, right? You'll "never know it's back there". :lol:

I'll say it again, if it's a '07 up Sequoia go for it and enjoy.

• Like 1

i can settle this.....

:chevy::usa: one duramax and you'll never have to worry :biggrin:

Now I get it they don't use Consumer Report because they like to think they have good toys. LOL But if we are going to add diesel in the vote I am a :ford: man but the :chevy: Wins

Yeah, buy a duramax--wait, which 8 passenger SUV did they put that in again?

You know what, just buy a Peterbuilt and be done with it. Should be enough for that little Sunsetter, right? You'll "never know it's back there". :lol:

I'll say it again, if it's a '07 up Sequoia go for it and enjoy.

+1

No one said he needed an 8 passenger SUV, just asking about one. Next time your thinking Toyota makes a better product, pay attention to how many are pulling fifth wheels and larger loads.

I don't know where you live or where you boat, or other hobbies you may have, but my d max 4x4 has been awesome, through mountains, snow, west Yellowstone, glamis, steep ramps, never one issue. Did replace the water pump at 120k, but that's it. Even Brad the ford guy sided with the Chevy guy on this one, so there must be something to it. :). If your open to other suggestions, take a look at one, if not, sorry about waisting the 30 seconds it took you to read this :)

No one said he needed an 8 passenger SUV, just asking about one. Next time your thinking Toyota makes a better product, pay attention to how many are pulling fifth wheels and larger loads.

I don't know where you live or where you boat, or other hobbies you may have, but my d max 4x4 has been awesome, through mountains, snow, west Yellowstone, glamis, steep ramps, never one issue. Did replace the water pump at 120k, but that's it. Even Brad the ford guy sided with the Chevy guy on this one, so there must be something to it. :). If your open to other suggestions, take a look at one, if not, sorry about waisting the 30 seconds it took you to read this :)

No one asked about a diesel either so I'm not sure how it made sense to bring it up. No doubt your truck pulls great, better for sure than the Toyota mentioned. The question was would a Sequoia pull his relatively small Sunsetter--answer is simply yes but the '07 up will do it better than the older one.

I never said Toyota was better, all vehicles suck in their own special way. I've owned and worked on enough of them professionally to know that for sure. I only posted the Peterbilt comment as a joke on how these threads go every time they come up.

It's all good! :cheers:

LOL, I just checked out the Sequoia pricing...loaded up that thing is $63,000 MSRP. No thanks!

I can think of plenty of other capable vehicles for 63k I'd rather have. A TDI Q7 to start with, a FAR nicer vehicle for the money. I'm sure I can list several other better SUV's for the money.

LOL, I just checked out the Sequoia pricing...loaded up that thing is $63,000 MSRP. No thanks!

I can think of plenty of other capable vehicles for 63k I'd rather have. A TDI Q7 to start with, a FAR nicer vehicle for the money. I'm sure I can list several other better SUV's for the money.

$

63k is just nuts. At the same time Q7 pricing is insane if you ask me, and I'm a die-hard Audiphile.

CPO Sequoia's are the way to go if that's the path you're on. I bought my 2008 Tundra CPO last March, 2.9% financing through Toyota. It was about $15k less than a fully loaded new equivalent. 18 months later I've had -0- problems with it, towed the Buzer probably 30+ times, including at least a dozen trips over the mountains, and it's worth almost as much today as it was the day I bought it. It has depreciated almost nil. And (save for perhaps a little to be desired in the fuel mileage dept.) I still love driving it. It's a very capable vehicle.

For the diesel guys, I'm with you in that diesel is superior for towing and mileage. No argument there. But they're not practical in all situations. Hell, a Duramax woudln't even get up to operating temps on my morning commute! (nor could one fit in my parking garage at work...I can barely squeeze the Tundra in)