Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houston area lakes? Making a move

hethj7

So it looks like I will be headed to the Houston area for 9-12 months next year for work. We will probably be moving next spring, so we are trying to decide what to do with the boat for next season. The job will actually be in Mont Belvieu. I would love to have a spot where we could get out in the evenings some, but have no idea what is in the area. Obviously there is water around, but we would like to stay away from saltwater with the Bu. Anyone know the area?

The closest lake to you will be lake houston. It's freshwater but it's pretty stumpy on the northside and not very pretty. If you head north a bit you can hit Lake Conroe. It's not the prettiest lake either, but there are restaurants and bars etc on the lake. It's also pretty rough during the summer season, but there are a few coves you can go to do some boarding. I always go to conroe (its the closest to me), so if you have an questions about it let me know.

Well that's about all your choices near Houston. I live on Lake Conroe and it is rough on the weekends due to Bulkheading, but come early or stay late and you'll enjoy. If you trailer, lots of people go to the San Jacinto River which is downstream of Lake Houston. Water. Should be nearly all fresh on the very North end above Highway 90.

If you are willing to drive a good ways southwest, the San Bernard river !!!!

You can ski glass for MILES ! Essentially nothing around, but cattle and rattle snakes, ha. But, there are some nice homes along the way, and a restuarant or two on the river.

We put in a couple miles outside Brazoria.

Steve B.

Thanks for the replies. I hate to just have the boat in storage for a summer, but don't look forward to towing it to Houston, finding a spot to store it as we will probably get an apartment when we are there, and then finding a location close enough to the water to make sure we can actually use it once we make the move. I suppose if I put it in saltwater I would have a lot more options, but then would have to do a little more maintenance and be worried about the hit on the value once it has been in saltwater, keeping in mind is it a 2000, so I am not talking about dropping a 90 thousand dollar boat into saltwater.

At least your boat will be there in awesome shape once you return.

Also, you might be able to find some skiing as there are some private ski sites in the Houston area.

And some of the bigger lakes rent things like houseboats with ski boats attached. So, maybe a long weekend or somthing you could head to a lake.

Good luck,

Steve B.