Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help in deciding between 2003 and 2004 lsv

911speed

I am looking at getting a 21 LSV. I have scoured every thread - but can't come to a conclusion. How much benefit to people believe there is with the Gorilla fins vs the standard fins on the 2003? IS the vinyl upgrade in 2004 that much better? Lastly and most improtantly I am getting conflicting info on the Hammerhead 380. Some say run away, others say as long as it makes it past 30 hours or so you should be fine. I contacted indmar and they said the issues were related to the valve adjustment - a quick inspection and alignment if necessary and all should be fine. Othere say the sound of the 380 is also not that great - idle is louder and not as nice as Monsoon. The issue is that I can't easily make a back to back comparison and looking for some additional insight. The 2004 is in great shape and has the 380, but I am not sure weather I should just go with the tried and tested 2003 Moonsoon. A lot more hours on the 2003 - but well maintained.

Any thoughts gins/vinyl/frameless windshield? OR even just on the hammerhead. For the original price increase when new - I have to think the hammerhead was still a nicer engine than the 335 moonsoon?

Thank you any any input.

A couple questions off the bat: What model are these boats (wakesetters)? Also, you mention 21' LSV--one of those isn't right. The VLX is 21' and the LSV is 23'.

Vinyl: I own an '04 Wakesetter VLX. The vinyl is decent but has split on the seams on two seats (was that way when I bought it used -- I'm getting them fixed this winter). I can't speak to earlier years, but I've generally heard seam splitting is the main problem with Malibu's vinyl and it still appears to be a problem on my '04...

Engine: I have the Monsoon and when I'm fully loaded ballast, people, and riders, the engine is plenty strong. That said, I have seen people say (either in craigslist ads or possibly here) that the 23' LSV does benefit from the bigger engine. That "makes sense" to me, but I don't have any ride time in a 23' to know.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of the hammerhead can chime in. I never came across a hammerhead when I was looking at boats, so I don't know anything about it good or bad. It does seem like you've dug into it pretty well. Sounds like Indmar gave you a straight up answer, so the real decision on the engine comes down to how well you think it was treated/maintained by the prior owner...

Fins, frameless windshield, afraid I can't offer any insight.

Best of luck in your search.

Thanks for the quick response. It is the sunscape I am looking at. The 2003 has been well maintained. The 2004 - has been in storage for a couple of years - but is in excellent condition. I would ensure that the boat had a fulls service etc done. But I just don't know if the the later model and the engine are worth the extra. Probably about $2000. Besides the benefit of the 2004 model - I am trying to wiegh between a less hour hammerhead - against a higher usage - but well maintained monsoon.

So you're saying $2K for 1 year newer and fewer engine hours? Based on how I evaluated boats I'd say that's "worth it." It does depend on how much fewer hours. 50 is "about the same" to me. 100 or more is worth factoring in the price.

A couple questions off the bat: What model are these boats (wakesetters)? Also, you mention 21' LSV--one of those isn't right. The VLX is 21' and the LSV is 23'.

Actually, in those years, Malibu did make a 21 LSV. It is a Sunscape. Just looked it up on here in the resources page.

Both are great engines and wouldn't worry about the fins. Also break down what sports you plan on doing behind the boat.

With the infomation I see I'd go with the 2004 if it checks out.