Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sumo Pump Flow Rate-Websites conflicting

ADDICTED2WAKE

OK, on straightline's website it says the sumo pump will pump 100 gal/55s and it's the only pump they make.

According to my calculations this is 784gph.

However, looking at many other sites selling the same pump they say it's an 1100, 1200, or 1300 gph flow rate depending on which site you look at.

(Wakemakers says 150gal/min and 1100 gph...math is ~correct to me).

My questions:

Does straightline make more than 1 pump?

If they do only make 1 pump, does anyone know for sure what the flow rate is?

Thanks!

Straight Line has changed the flow rate number a couple of times. They developed the Sumo Pump to compete with the Fly High Tsunami. They now have introduced the Straight Line Super Sumo Pump for 2012 and it is faster and black. I am not sure what makes it faster as the pumps seem to be the same. The biggest change that I noticed was an on/off switch which I have added to a couple of my Fly High Tsunami pumps over the last couple years.

OK, on straightline's website it says the sumo pump will pump 100 gal/55s and it's the only pump they make.

According to my calculations this is 784gph.

However, looking at many other sites selling the same pump they say it's an 1100, 1200, or 1300 gph flow rate depending on which site you look at.

(Wakemakers says 150gal/min and 1100 gph...math is ~correct to me).

My questions:

Does straightline make more than 1 pump?

If they do only make 1 pump, does anyone know for sure what the flow rate is?

Thanks!

You mean there is not truth in advertising...say it so,

All all misleading exxxxagerated flow rates are using ideal conditions, conditions that would not be possible in the real world.

You could probably take any of their numbers and reduce them by 25% to get an accurate flow rate....tubing size, length, number of turns, twists, will all decrease the pumps flow rate. and to even take it to the nth degree, water temp impacts a pumps efficiency.

I

I think all of these Aerator pumps are over-rated. My 1200GPH Atwood pump I used to throw over the side of the boat is no faster than my 720GPH impeller pumps.

I agree 100%. My center tank was so slow to fill. I replaced all the lines with 1 inch and then swapped out for Tsunami 1200's. It was faster, but still 9-10 minutes seemed just a bit long. Then when I swapped that out for a Johnson pump, I was stoked. 6 minutes and I am full. I think that impeller style pumps overcome head pressure so much better than aearator. GIven that the hose had to run up to the antisiphon valve, it creates a little bit of head pressure that really slows the aerators down. The johnson is supposed to be 720 GPH, but it sure beats the pants off of the Tsunamis in that particular setup.

I totally agree. Aerator pumps although rated for higher speeds do not have a ton of head pressure. I love the Jabsco and Johnson pumps. They have been money. I am very surprised that Malibu and Tige are still holding out. I thought for sure Bu would redesign the ballast system for 2013. I was wrong.