Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drivetrain vibration while surfing over 3rd party wake

When my 2010 Axis A22 w/475 hours is sacked out for surfing (goofy side) and we hit another wake I get a high freq momentarily vibration . Almost sounds like a binding that resonates though the boat and an engine tone change. The sound/vibration last about a half second and corresponds with each wave we go over. I used to think it was just prop cavitation, but it seems to be getting worse - maybe it is and Im just adding more weight these days and should back off. (1100+ in the corner, 750 on the side seat, and 950 in the bow, 2 adults in the boat). I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced something like this or think it might be a bigger issue like shaft alignment or transmission that I need to have checked out by a professional. ** A DIY surfgate cant come soon enough **

292524_445745192121295_100000574546009_1682705_1180411215_n.jpg

Edited by morrisdl

I have the same issue. (99 Ski Nautique with 1200 lbs of ballast) It almost feels like I hit something underwater but I know that is not the case. It only last for a second but it concerns me. I surf on a private lake so it's just my wake that I hit when I come around the turn. It must be some sort of cavitating but I can't get my head around why it would happen. -Marc

Try proping down some more, or using less cup. That load is probably the cause for the cavitation/vibration. You listed 3800# of wet, I am guessing you are using the power wedge as well for another 1000# plus the boat weight you total displacement is around 7800#. Even if you are using a 14.5X14.5 already you are still pushing a lot of weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard/seen something similar and we came up with cavitation. Someone was pulling me at the first time and shut the boat down due to everyone freaking out. I never heard any real change in the engine's sound though. The more weight is the only thing that makes it louder or more noticeable. I have even noticed this if we turn too sharp when surfing.

I've heard the same sound many times on my '07 VTX when we're surfing. I found that it's more frequent when I don't have enough weight in the front of the boat. If I'm riding with only a couple people and my wet ballast (with wedge down) and only the factory ballast in the front, it is really bad.

I chalked it up to the cavitation, given that all of the weight is in the back, and the 3rd party waves might let it momentarily not have enough water. I've watched my RPM's during the sound, and they don't seem to change. With that said, I'm only guessing and my guess would be best-case scenario. It is a worrysome sound though