Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding Ropes

mnhays

Wakeboard Rope Life  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you get out of your wakeboard ropes?

• Not Even A Season!
    • At Least A Season
    • Couple Seasons...
    • We Use The Same Rope Every Year!

It seems like every season we have to go through AT LEAST one rope :blush: (yes this year was two) my friend backed up onto a rope, grr... had to cut her free, but even when I get a cut in the cover or only one strand of spectra fiber, it's usually game over for the rope anyway. due to the obvious safety problems of a broken rope, but is everyone losing ropes to normal wear in under a year?

Edited by mnhays

I usually replace my mainline every other year. Handle usually lasts me 3-4 years.

My most recent rope is the proline vapor and it has held up two seasons. I'll probably let it go one more.

I would say a lot comes in to play on this. Size of the crew. how many and weight. Level (line tench in) One thing I have seen on other boats is they don't hock the rope right. they just loop the rope on so the rope rubs. Plus the amount of hours on the boat I was thinking about this the other day I ride 3 to 4 days a week for 3 to 4 hours at a time. 1/2 is surfing. but I am gone for 6 months a year so I do get 1/2 the time put about 150 hours on the boat this year.

Thought I would add my rope. Love it shortens to 50ft. As soon as I got it had 3 new people going Wake to Wake. I ride at 55ft yes I'm still new. But when I'm learning a new trick I put it at 50ft and can spend my little brain time on the trick and not the jump. Floats but I will say it gets a knot easier than my other ropes. Still worth every penny. http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/2119051

I just purchased a new Ronix Rope, Only because my old 14 Year Rope was too short, Yes it's 14 years old and is still in great condition!!! It has made it through 3 boats..LOL Lots, of Wakeboarding, Sky Ski, and an occasional Kneeboard run.

Amsteel Blue 7/64" rope from go2marine.com. $.21 per foot. Just be sure to use a Brummell Spice and no knots. Cheap, light weight, it floats, easy to coil.

hmm that definitely seems like an interesting way to go! I have not heard of anyone doing this

The nice thing about the Amsteel Blue is its diameter. It's low drag cutting out into the flats. It very low stretch (no rope is no stretch) and its slightly ridged. That helps a ton because the old flimsy spectra lines would knot if you looked at it. I have an Accurate X Line. I like the line but the coating is not attached to the rope so the rope actually spins inside the coating. This makes it difficult if not impossible to un wind. I also put 20' of low stretch poly E barefoot rope on my line. It gives me maybe 2" or so of travel and just enough to take the snap out of the line making the day after a little less painful on my elbows and shoulders. I'm running 5 feet of handle including a braid for grip while wrapped up, 65' of Amsteel, 20' Poly E, 18" of Bullet.

The bullet is sold by Samson Sports and is a safety release in case the handle gets caught up on me or my foil.