Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you say scam?

nevertwobig

Yeah, the price seems too good to be true, but if it's a fire sale (like the person is moving or having financial problems and has to dump it) it's not that far off base from my experience in the Texas market. Especially since it's close to end of year, maybe they are trying to dump it quickly.

Having said that, a lot of scammers put together a deal that is stupid low (like 45K for this rig), but some are smart enough to get just it close enough but still not insane sounding.

Hopefully someone can lay eyes on it and talk to the 'real' seller and it's just a friggin sweet deal. This would be awesome for some Malibu lover if it's legit.

I reserve judgement.

"We did not spend cash on it, so we have no major financial or emotional stake here. Just looking to exchange the boat for cash and put it in the bank."

That's just pretty sketchy IMHO haha

Edited by mnhays

Yeah unless it's the guys eBay account for hacked with that much feedback it might be true. 68k maybe cheap for that boat but it's not like it's still not a massive amount of money. At that sum most people are going to want to see the boat in person before doing any sort of transaction. I'd say it's not a scam unless hacked account.

"We did not spend cash on it, so we have no major financial or emotional stake here. Just looking to exchange the boat for cash and put it in the bank."

That's just pretty sketchy IMHO haha

Right before that is states they acquired it in a business trade. Happens all the time around here, usually not with that much money though. Possibly payment on something large like home improvements.

If it is a scam, it would be the most detailed I've ever seen. I'm leaning toward legit. Although like stated above, I'd want to see it before bidding and definitely would look at the title to be sure it's free and clear.

Right before that is states they acquired it in a business trade. Happens all the time around here, usually not with that much money though. Possibly payment on something large like home improvements.

If it is a scam, it would be the most detailed I've ever seen. I'm leaning toward legit. Although like stated above, I'd want to see it before bidding and definitely would look at the title to be sure it's free and clear.

yeah I don't see that a lot I guess, but come on, most detailed scam ever...I mean not really. besides the history of a legit ebay account it can turn into any of them. until he starts letting you see the boat and you meet a person where they say you are you can't know.

I don't know if this is a scam but I have a cousin who has taken a lot of items for payment in exchange for legal services. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a scam either.

I don't know if this is a scam but I have a cousin who has taken a lot of items for payment in exchange for legal services. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a scam either.

So what are you saying??

• Like 1

I think he means that the sellers might be in legal trouble and trying to raise some quick cash? Not totally sure.

My point was that it sounded like something the wife would say...babbling on for minutes and not saying anything coherent...first Ob says its this, then in the very next sentence he says its that....so which is it...this or that??

Maybe teamerickson can elaborate...he got it!!

Edited by jkendallmsce

Not sure I see the problem here.. If i had the cash I would bid on it. If I won i would get on a plane and give him the cash after he handed me the clear title and I had the boat in my possession. Call a shipping company and it would be on the way to my house.... Oh wait if I had the cash I would be looking at a 2013 with suregate... Never mind... haha

• Like 2

Only thing he can scam you out of at end of auction is $100 it looks like. If you gave the diff without taking a look or having someone that lives close look and see would be your fault. Seems like a legit auction to me. Will be interesting to see.

on one or two photos it has registration numbers from outside Texas, on a couple it has none. also, the photos show several different tow vehicles, the trailer shows a license plate from outside Texas. Not that any of that couldn't be explained, but...

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

on one or two photos it has registration numbers from outside Texas, on a couple it has none. also, the photos show several different tow vehicles. Not that any of that couldn't be explained, but...

Looks like NC?

She sure is purdy though.

Edited by teamerickson

Sorry to go off thread, but it is a scam at least. Put my boat on the market and this is the first e-mail I get within hours...

"Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's

in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to

pay your asking price and to be honest, Am buying this for my

father, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a

contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment

from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception

on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make

use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can

send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to

be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal

fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with

paypal, its pretty easy, free,reliable and secured to open one. Just log on to

www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I

have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will

take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear

from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal

email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks"

I sent him my PayPal information and address but the money didn't show up . I even gave him my password so he could log in and help me configure my paypal to receive funds. Still nothing. Maybe it takes a while? :biggrin:

• Like 2