Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do any of you guys on here have V-Rides?

LSU1990

Just curious how they stack up against Wakesetters from any standpoint anyone would care to discuss. I know there is only a single rear center ballast that is standard, and the other hard tanks are optional, and I know it comes without the fancy electronic dash. Would love to hear any opinions especially coming from the experience of ownership.

Have a 06 love it. Don't need all the electronic items that can get wet. The only thing I wish I had is the back factory ballast. I added 1100s and added all my own pump system. But it would be nice. For me being on a budget made the Vride the perfect boat for me. But if I wasn't on a budget I would own a VLX unless you just like the older VLX hull but want a newer boat. I know people that love the 05-08 VLX hull so they just got the 09 and up Vride.

There are two categories of V-Rides '05-'08 on the '04 VLX platform and then the current V-Rides (previously VLX from '05-'08) that started in '09. they are considered a great value and nothing less than the current VLX, LSV etc but just more cost competitive. Neither model would hold you back from advancing that's for sure.

2012, 2013 or similar (don't know when the last time they changed was)

please go easy on me, I'm a noob - thanks

No worries your at the correct place to get your answers. Have you water tested a '09+ V ride? I'd suggest you water test as if your hitting the lake for the day. This model does imho require weight up front but that's easily done with pop (lead) bags up front or other ballast bags. Other than that I'd get the factory middle and rear under floor ballast and the floating wedge.

• Like 1

No worries your at the correct place to get your answers. Have you water tested a '09+ V ride? I'd suggest you water test as if your hitting the lake for the day. This model does imho require weight up front but that's easily done with pop (lead) bags up front or other ballast bags. Other than that I'd get the factory middle and rear under floor ballast and the floating wedge.

My friend has a 2008 21 VLX - is that a similar boat? I have had that one on the water, and driving his boat is what started me jonesing for a Malibu.

I have an 05 V-Ride..... completely Wakesettered out, no V-Ride graphics at all. 900 lbs of factory ballast & 300 lbs of lead. Still getting compliments on it at 8 yrs & almost 500 hrs.

I have a buddy who just bought a 2011 23' V-Ride, Power Wedge, G3, outrageous Exile stereo,...... completely stripped all the V-Ride graphics & modified the V-Series decal to say "Coug-Series" on it. He's a WSU fan... diehard. Then he added a 14' flag pole to it. :rofl:

He gets tons of compliments on the boat everytime he uses it. We just racked up 25 hrs on it in Shasta last week. 900 lbs of factory ballast.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Can those boats be ordered with a graphics delete - I'd like it to just have the Chrome "Malibu" lettering on the sides of the hull, or is it easy to take the big RIDE off? I'd want to do the same with a WS - I just prefer a sleek, clean look.

07 Vride bought new and have been very pleased. Swapped out the rear hard tanks and put 750lb bags. Added 300lb lead in front. More wake than I will ever need performance wise for wakeboardinf with floating wedge also. Good (not great) surf wake.

The only reason I would purchase a new boat is to go bigger and get 23LSV or MB Sports 23 model for additional space and potential wakesurf size.

I have a 2010 23 Vride. Absolutely love it. Ill agree it needs 300-400 lbs ballast up front. I have the midship and rear ballast also have the power wedge. If you can do without the maliview and a few other upgrades...then its your perfect boat. You're definitely not getting any less in performance or wake. I had my dealer leave the ride graphics off and it also has the stainless steel malibu logos on the side and one in the rear. I'd be happy to send you pics.

We have an 08 V ride, loaded to the gills except for power wedge, it's a great boat, we've put 60+ hours on her this season... We got the 2012 wakesetter graphics on too, looks awesome IMO.

Power Wedge :Tease3:

IMHO, buying a used vride is the best budget way to get into a quality wake boat.

Granted different year vrides have differing options and are always a little behind the wakesetter, but older wakestter owners are also envious of current year wakestters. There's always that one more feature that just came out people want, rhymes with smurf mate. I would love under floor hard tanks in rear and a g3 tower, but it's never hindered me from having excellent times on the water. Maybe once a month I fill my rear 400 sacs and the hatch opens, move a few life jackets to the other side, problem solved. I actually like the vride dash, and added anything I needed with high quality items.

• Like 1

Can those boats be ordered with a graphics delete - I'd like it to just have the Chrome "Malibu" lettering on the sides of the hull, or is it easy to take the big RIDE off? I'd want to do the same with a WS - I just prefer a sleek, clean look.

You can order them with or without a lot.... including the graphics. Mine never said Vride on it, only said Malibu Wakesetter. Guess it was how the buyer ordered it. He even ordered the SS rubrail, Isotta steering wheel & throttle knob, Titan tower, etc. You'd never know it was a Vride unless you looked at the title.

Both mine & my buddies had graphics & we stripped them. You'd never know they were there. Wait for a hot sunny day & they peel off super easily.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My friend has a 2008 21 VLX - is that a similar boat? I have had that one on the water, and driving his boat is what started me jonesing for a Malibu.

Yes same hull and interior.

Power Wedge :Tease3:

After riding behind one it surprised me, while I love the PW on a vdrive I think I'd just go floating instead. Otherwise if I option out a vdrive I might as well get vlx imho. YMMV

• Like 1

I have an 05 V-Ride..... completely Wakesettered out, no V-Ride graphics at all. 900 lbs of factory ballast & 300 lbs of lead. Still getting compliments on it at 8 yrs & almost 500 hrs.

I have a buddy who just bought a 2011 23' V-Ride, Power Wedge, G3, outrageous Exile stereo,...... completely stripped all the V-Ride graphics & modified the V-Series decal to say "Coug-Series" on it. He's a WSU fan... diehard. Then he added a 14' flag pole to it. :rofl:

He gets tons of compliments on the boat everytime he uses it. We just racked up 25 hrs on it in Shasta last week. 900 lbs of factory ballast.

Bill, can you post up some pics? Sounds like the perfect boat for Cougar Country.

Bill, can you post up some pics? Sounds like the perfect boat for Cougar Country.

Easy one from the NW WOW. I'll see what else I can dig up too.

BanksLakeWashington2012278.jpg

And playing with Photoshop. He ended up going much more subtle than this.

Outlook.jpg

Sounds like the OP is leaning towards a newer Ride, but if you wind up in a 05-08 Ride, and it has the hideous graphics, I highly recommend using a heat gun to take them off. The warmer that adhesive gets, the less gets left behind on the hull. Which is not fun to clean off.

Ideally get a detailers stripping wheel on a drill and zip them suckers off. Works like a charm.

My 07 had all the obnoxious Ride graphics. Took them all off, and most recently the factory drip molded Malibu letters at the stern, replaced with billet emblems from Bakes. Cleaned up the look a ton. I have some pics in the "Boats on the Water" thread.

It's not a V ride but I have an 07 Ride XTI (direct drive). I replaced the Fugly graphics and recently upgraded to the ss rubrail and the boat looks great. I only have midship ballast but still get an awesome surf wake without even using my power wedge. Other than the obvious differences in built in ballast and dollars spent, I think the main difference in the ride series and the wakesetter series is in the "fit and finish" category. For the money invested in my boat I can surf, board and ski with any boat on the water and not be ashamed :)

post-7843-0-45242700-1347036596_thumb.jpI have an 05 and still get a ton of compliments. This summer someone asked if I just picked it up at the dealer new. He said look at that brand new boat :)They are a price point boat but.....there are advantages. Electrically they are simpler for example. If you don't need a buch of gadgets then this is your boat.

If I had one complaint it would be that the interior I am willing to bet won't be quite as durable as a WS. I think they use a cheaper grade. My friend owns an 09 with 450+ hours now and had a few interior issues. Mine is holding up very well but it gets lighter use then his.

Great boat...if your your looking for a budget boat this is WAY better than settling for say a Moomba or something.

And if you want to surf then do understand a lot of the "surf" oriented web sites don't give malibu the credit it deserves. Great surf boat.

Edited by Ruffdog