Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wow, my Malibu is really old......

CliffB

Looking at the other Malibus in the boat house here I just realized my '89 Malibu Skier is ancient comparatively. Do I have the oldest boat here?

In her defense, she's in really, really good shape. I've seen much newer boats in much worse condition. There's always at least one guy at the boat launch who says "wow, really nice (old) Malibu there" or something like that. Is my boat totally obsolete for what people are buying newish Malibus these days? No good for wakeboarding or wake surfing or ??

Right now, with my kids being 3, 3, 5 and 7 all we're doing is some tubing with me getting up on a single ski once in a while for about two minutes before my arms fall off...or it looks like my wife is about to lose it behind the wheel.

post-19592-0-51828000-1346967758_thumb.j

post-19592-0-00981900-1346967767_thumb.j

post-19592-0-78461100-1346967774_thumb.j

Edited by CliffB

Nice looking oldie. Just sold my 1990 a few months ago.had 975 hours on it and it ran great...should be able to get another 1000 outta the engine.

ANd ya know your does the same as the new ones that cost $60, 70K and more... and uses a lot less gas than the new ones doing the same thing. I estimated that mine used about 25% less than our LXI doing the exact same thing.

Talk to Levi and or Martin about surfing...with the new surfgate and their prototypes, you can surf all day.

Our new LXI has the corvette (LS3)...and I was always wondering what that 425 HP/TQ would do in a little speedster like your skier!!

Edited by jkendallmsce

Looking at the other Malibus in the boat house here I just realized my '89 Malibu Skier is ancient comparatively. Do I have the oldest boat here?

In her defense, she's in really, really good shape. I've seen much newer boats in much worse condition. There's always at least one guy at the boat launch who says "wow, really nice (old) Malibu there" or something like that. Is my boat totally obsolete for what people are buying newish Malibus these days? No good for wakeboarding or wake surfing or ??

Right now, with my kids being 3, 3, 5 and 7 all we're doing is some tubing with me getting up on a single ski once in a while for about two minutes before my arms fall off...or it looks like my wife is about to lose it behind the wheel.

That is a great looking boat. My family was actually recently in a similar situation. My parents are the original owners of a 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190. I literally grew up with the boat (I'm turning 25 this November). Its been garaged its entire life and still has the original interior with zero rips. I've also seen plenty of newer boats in worse condition. I was amazed when we began looking at used boats that were less than 10 years old to see how poorly they looked. It was even funnier when the sellers tried to tell us how well they cared for their boats, I wish we would have towed our 25 year old boat to every sellers lot to give them a reality check. In my opinion I really don't see any reason at this point for you to get a bigger boat unless your just looking for something with more room. However, when the children are a bit bigger it's really going to start getting crammed on that boat if it hasn't already. If your children get into wakeboarding, they would still have a blast behind your current boat with just getting down all the basics. It took me two seasons of riding before I was ready for a bigger wake to learn more spins and inverts. Have fun and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Heres a shot of our boat, I know it's not a Malibu but it's another classic skier.

3e7fda77.jpg

Your title should say "Wow, my boat is really sweet", not really old. It's a sharp boat. As long as it does what you want, hang onto it. You can slalom, wakeboard, surf, barefoot, and tube behind that boat. Odds are you know what it has and what it needs, which is a lot easier than starting out again with a $25k boat that is 10 years old and has it's own set of problems.

Also, buy a barefoot boom and get your kids started on skiing and wakeboarding...and yourself on footing! We've taught a ton of people at a variety of ages to learn watersports off of a boom. It's not just for barefooting! I bet your 7 year old, and even the 5 year old will double ski or wakeboard off the boom on their first try. Seriously!

• Like 2

I second the boom. Best investment so far besides the boat itself. We've taught at least 6 kids to ski or wakeboard on ours so far. Every time there is a group outing we'll pull someone's tube a couple times and then ask who wants to learn to ski? Once one steps up you'll have a line pretty quick.

I agree get a boom! It really simplifies the learning curve and saves you time pulling people 5 feet only to have to turn around and try all over again!

Heres a mickey mouse for you guys!

IMG_0528.jpg

Edited by Mikeproc

That is a great looking boat. My family was actually recently in a similar situation. My parents are the original owners of a 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190. I literally grew up with the boat (I'm turning 25 this November). Its been garaged its entire life and still has the original interior with zero rips. I've also seen plenty of newer boats in worse condition. I was amazed when we began looking at used boats that were less than 10 years old to see how poorly they looked. It was even funnier when the sellers tried to tell us how well they cared for their boats, I wish we would have towed our 25 year old boat to every sellers lot to give them a reality check. In my opinion I really don't see any reason at this point for you to get a bigger boat unless your just looking for something with more room. However, when the children are a bit bigger it's really going to start getting crammed on that boat if it hasn't already. If your children get into wakeboarding, they would still have a blast behind your current boat with just getting down all the basics. It took me two seasons of riding before I was ready for a bigger wake to learn more spins and inverts. Have fun and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Heres a shot of our boat, I know it's not a Malibu but it's another classic skier.

3e7fda77.jpg

That was right around the apex of MC. The late 80s and early 90s were great boats. Sad to see the problems and decline of MC in the past 10 or so years.

Thank you fellas, I appreciate the kind words.

For the time being this old Malibu seems to work for our needs very well. The kids are small so space isn't really an issue, and because they're small they're not looking for a huge wake....skiing, inner tubing, etc. The flat little wake behind the 'Bu isn't too intimidating for them. I also like the simplicity and light weight of this old 'Bu too. And, being that it's old and inexpensive, if somebody puts a scratch in it, well, hey, no big deal.

She's a lot of fun too, in all kinds of ways....and surprisingly fast. A couple weekends ago we were anchored up near to a newish Mastercraft. He asked me to take a couple pics of his boat at top speed. I said sure, and "you better keep her below 40 so I can keep up in this old thing." Well, you can guess what happened.....he was topped out at 40 and my old 'Bu had plenty left. My kids got the biggest kick when we were pulling away at around 45 (GPS verified).... Maybe I have a speed prop on (don't know) and maybe he had a pulling prop on, but whatever the case, that was a hoot.

Now I'm surfing ebay and craigslist for a barefoot boom....that looks like a great way to get the kids on skis and wakeboards.

Thank you all!