Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions Needed - 2000 Sunsetter VLX

Brian M.

My parents are looking for a good, all round family boat for themselves and the grandkids that has good slalom wakes.

They are going this afternoon to look at a 2000 Sunsetter VLX.

In researching them, I'm kind of confused. In the resource section of this site, the hull for the 2000 is listed as a "SV23 Wake" but the 2000 Brochure says it has a "SV23 Diamond". Everywhere on the site people are saying 2001 is the year that model became more ski oriented. Now wondering if that's because people are basing their opinion on a potential typo in the resource section.

We're definitely a family of skiers and not wakeboarders and wouldn't want to get the wrong hull.

Any way of telling which hull is actually is when looking at it?

Any assistance/clarification would be appreciated.

Brian

PS. I'm assuming that it's the SV23 Diamond hull that is going to be a better slalom boat?

Brian,

There are two possible Sunsetters, one is the VLX (think engine and weight in the back of the boat) which you said your parents are going to look at. That will be the V-drive with the "SV23 wake" which = good for wakeboarding. :no: The one you want is the LXi version (engine in the center) which will be a Direct Drive Sunsetter and has the "SV 23 Diamond" hull, which = good for skiing. :yes:

In fact, the LXi version was an AWSA approved towboat in 2000.

Edited by plano86skier

Used to own a 2000 Sunsetter VLX and, later, had the opportunity to ski behind a 2001 Sunsetter VLX. Night and day difference in the ski wake. My 2000 was definitely on the wake hull and the 2001 was diamond.

Sorry Brian, I should have looked at what type of boat you have before getting so basic in descriptions. :Doh: Just always have your boat around for skiing and use the VLX for wakeboarding, cruising, surfing, sitting around talking, etc. You already have an awesome slalom boat, go for more fun on the water.

Edited by plano86skier

Brian,

I must agree with you that looks like a Diamond Hull. Maybe a late 2000 build and Malibu had already changed to all Diamond Hulls for the the Sunsetter. Anyway, try skiing it if it's not too cold up there already. I skied behind a friends Wakesetter 23 footer with DD and was surprised with the slalom wake. Bigger than my Response, but okay for rec skiing, still was producing the Malibu soft wake.

No problem plano86skier! Unfortunately, I had to sell my boat last year.

The 2000 brochure even says it's even on a former AWSA approved hull?!?!

Edited by Brian M.

Well that brings it back to the present problem... Is that a Diamond hull on THAT Sunsetter VLX and how does it ski. Picture sure looks like it but based on John's post, worlds of difference. If they are still interested after see, I'd call Malibu with the serial number and ask them what hull is on the boat.

Used to own a 2000 Sunsetter VLX and, later, had the opportunity to ski behind a 2001 Sunsetter VLX. Night and day difference in the ski wake. My 2000 was definitely on the wake hull and the 2001 was diamond.

Absolutely correct. I've slalomed both, and own the '01 Sunsetter VLX. It's a diamond hull on the '01 V-Drive. The '00 V-Drive didn't have it.

Guys I don't think thats a diamond. Hard to be positive but it looks like the outside matches the under-hull chines' angle.

EDIT, in fact look at the link of good close up photos that is not a diamond.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I wouldn't put much credence in the brochures. The 1999 brochure states that the Sunsetter VLX is on the SV23 hull. Then the 2000 brochure states that Malibu is so "pleased with the performance of the Sunsetter VLX on the SV23 Diamond hull" that they made only cosmetic changes to the boat from the prior year. Then the 2001 brochure proclaims that the "Sunsetter VLX is better than ever because it is now built on our award winning SV23 Diamond hull". One of the brochures is clearly incorrect - and I believe it is the 2000 brochure.

they say they didn't make any 2000 vlx's with a diamond hull, but that's just what the mfg. says :rofl:

in 2001 the VLX is when they went "ski-ier" with the hull and did use the diamond. so I can attest to that. however after that, they made the wakesetter vlx with a diamond and wake hull.

Edited by mnhays

Yep even my old eyes can see the difference now. I just can't understand why slurpee's boat is up on the lift since he is close enough to take pictures of it. It's 100 degrees here, we should be on the water. :Tease3:

Thanks Slurpee!!! The difference is obvious. Wonder if the 2000 brochure proof reader stills works for Malibu?

Now, how bad is the SV23 wake hull on this boat to slalom behind? Is it passable for free skiing?

I'll probably trick behind this one more and train elsewhere behind a TXi for slalom.

Thanks Slurpee!!! The difference is obvious. Wonder if the 2000 brochure proof reader stills works for Malibu?

Now, how bad is the SV23 wake hull on this boat to slalom behind? Is it passable for free skiing?

I'll probably trick behind this one more and train elsewhere behind a TXi for slalom.

I have the SV23 WakeHull in question, and to be honest, it's all for preference. The wake hull has a (tiny) peak to it with what wake it makes at 31+ but the Diamond Hull has a round peak which is softer to cross and start around 28+. For me, I throw my crew in the bow and that is my way of turning my boat into a diamond hull wake performance. Once you get up there, it's really night and day with the wake and diamond hulls, if you're concentrating on a smooth wake under 30mph diamond if you're skiing 30mph+ and you've got deal but it's a wakehull, go for it. ALSO, if you ever wanted to surf, you'd be happy to have the wake hull. Other than that we love our sunsetter, as my dad and I can slalom behind it, (old men can still throw down), but when I go out with my buddies I can sink her and throw a sick wake, add a wedge and you're a surf boat too! I'm just trying to cover all bases for you, and this should answer a lot of your slalom questions as well. going hardcore DD diamond hull is for the CRAZY guys who NEED that flat wake, but no judgement if that's you as well! I love those guys! but for free skiing wake hull vlx is a really nice wake, in 2000 they were still selling it as a ski boat, it hadn't even fully evolved into the wakesetter wakeboard boat that the line is today!

I went through this earlier this summer and the first link to the comparison here on the crew comparing the diamond vs the wake hull really needs to be edited as it doesn't do justice to the difference between the two hulls. Slurpee's picture should be the reference for the Diamond hull to really spotlight the amount of "hook" on the chines.

Just my $0.02

...and yes the boat that the OP published is definitely a wake hull...I have a 2001 Sunsetter with a wake hull and the ski wake is ok to good once you get up to 32mph and above...below those speeds you will be disappointed...IMHO

I had a 2000 Sunsetter VLX also and I completely agree. The boat was terrible for skiing, especially at lower speeds (26-30MPH). If skiing is their primary activity, I would look at the '01 or newer on a Diamond hull or consider a direct drive.