Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It Finally happened!

This past weekend I hit a log or a stump with my boat. It was bound to eventually happen. My problem is I was idling in gear luckily when I hit whatever I hit. I checked the prop and shaft and could find anything wrong. Drove the boat 9 miles back to the dock with no problems. Went out to surf and loaded the ballast and the boat would barelly come to speed under load. 3/4 throttle versus 1/2 before the impact. My guess is the prop but can not see any visible damage to shaft or prop any thoughts.

This past weekend I hit a log or a stump with my boat. It was bound to eventually happen. My problem is I was idling in gear luckily when I hit whatever I hit. I checked the prop and shaft and could find anything wrong. Drove the boat 9 miles back to the dock with no problems. Went out to surf and loaded the ballast and the boat would barelly come to speed under load. 3/4 throttle versus 1/2 before the impact. My guess is the prop but can not see any visible damage to shaft or prop any thoughts.

new/better glasses??

• Like 2

3/4 or 1/2 does not matter as my pp is on for 9-11 miles an hr when surfing. i could put at full throttle if wanted but again pp is doing what is doing. Is there any vibration? that will be you indicator. if nothing visual then get out the dial. sounds a bit like you might be looking for somthing that is not there.

I did basically the same thing with almost the same result this weekend (although it happened pulling away from the dock).

Initially I didn't think I did any damage, but when I loaded up the ballast tanks to wakeboard I could feel a little vibration when I tried to accelerate at 3/4 throttle and it took forever to get on plane...I also felt like the boat was riding at a slight tilt when evenly weighted (at any throttle) and the bow was definitely going higher than usual when it was trying to get on plane.

I threw on a mask and took a look at the prop and couldn't see any problems at first, but a second look revealed that one blade was 'curled' a bit at the tip. It was hard to notice and it turned out to be two blades when I pulled it out if the water and removed the prop.

I'd bet you're in the same boat (no pub intended). I found a local welding shop that fixes props by asking a local marina (they would have sent it out to someone and I don't have a Malibu dealer less than 2 hrs away). Dropped it off Tuesday afternoon and I'll have it back at noon on Friday...only $40. Good luck!

Edited by Big_Moose_Wakesetter