Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon carb cover smoking. Should it?

barefootdiver2000

My '95 Echelon had started running cool, so thought it might be a thermostat stuck open. Put in a new thermostat but it still doesn't seem to get above 120 degrees. When checking to make sure there was no leaks in the thermostat gaskets I had opened the engine cover and noticed smoke coming from the two plastic hoses that run from where the oil gets put in at to the carb cover. Guess I never noticed that before, but is this normal? Any ideas on why it would be running cool?

So you can see what I'm talking about, I have a photo posted at: http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb472/barefootdiver2000/?action=view&current=echelon.jpg

The smoke is the crank case ventelation. Check the PCV valve(s). They have probably gone bad.

How do you know if they are bad? Mine smoke too, and at WOT I can smell oil burning from somewhere (very slight). The engine is clean, with a little residue actually from the plastic hoses that diver2000 circled. I thought the PCV valves on these engines were really just an elbow with not much inside them.

They may be just an elbow. I will try to make it to mine to see what it is. I have never smelled oil or seen smoke though, you might try cleaning the flame arrester to see if that helps.

660 hours on an lcr.

There is a thread on here somewhere about checking the temp guage sending unit. (temps vs ohms) that may have the answer to your "running cool" issue.

temp sending voltage

Start around post 13

Edited by REW

I've never noticed smoke coming from my carb cover, but I've never really had the engine cover open for any period while running the boat, only for routine maintenance checks. Last year my temp sensor failed. Theres two sensors on the Echelon, one either side of the thermostat housing, the stb one is the temp sensor and the port one is the temp alarm. Before mine failed the temperature gauge always read 140 degrees, since replacing the sensor it now always reads 130 degrees. What I look for is something different, so if the norm is 130 degrees I look for anything hotter as a warning sign. The fact that yours has changed it's norm does mean something has changed but it could be more resistance in the wires due to corrosion, it could be the sensor itself, it could be the gauge or it could genuinely be running cooler due to any number of things.