Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Question - 2007 VLX

Tranner

Sorry, rookie question but my friend's 2007 VLX seems to only have one battery and he wants to put in a second battery. He has the standard Perko 1/2/Off switch mounted underneath the observer seat along with 1 battery in a plastic battery box. 2 questions. First, is it normal to not have a second batter in this year boat? He seems to have every other option so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have a second battery. Second, does he just purchase a second cranking battery, another battery box, and some wires, and then stick battery # 2 right next to battery # 1 underneath the observer seat?

I would say add a relay and look at the diagram. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1517

Many ways to run it you can run them all in one or make one just to crank and one just for the radio. One for crank and one for everything else. The last one is what I did. When you add the relay it will make sure you can always crank the boat. and the other battery can do all the other work Radio, ballast system, all the lights, heater or anything else you can spend money on lol. If you are looking for a good battery Interstate SRM-29 is a good pick for the money. I would say put 2 new batteries in the boat at one time but that is just me. I say it will help your alternator not work as hard. One more way I can help you spend your money. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1424 May want the Prosport20 if you have a big system or may get one.

I don't really understand the diagram of the Blue Sea system. What I'm looking for is a way to run off Battery 1, or Battery 2, or Both, with an Off to disconnect both batteries. In other words a four position switch.....off, batt1, batt2, and both. How is that wired up?

Or, even more simple, why not wire two batteries in parallel with a simple switch such as this between the common positive lead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-KILL-SWITCH-FOR-BOATS-500-amps-175-amps-FIVE-OCEANS-/280890092658?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item41665aac72&vxp=mtr This would isolate one battery while using the radio and other accessories, and then you can flip the switch to have both for starting. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Edited by CliffB