Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Pipe Carpeted Floor Cover ?

I have a 2004 SSLxi and the floor covering over my mufflers behind the engine compartment is in need of replacement. I am not exactly sure what this area is called and the previous owner said he got a cost from the dealer a few years back at $350 and never did it, he just turned the floor cover 180 degrees so the weak area was not under the rear seat. Now there is a weak area right as you step off the rear seat (in and out) so I have to replace it.

Any ideas on what this is called and where I may get a replacement. At $350 I could put something in myself but not sure what materials I should use to wrap with carpet. I know the carpet won't match perfect as our grey carpet is 8 years old and most likely faded. I maybe able to pull the carpet off the old pad but what material should I use for support?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Get yourself some 7/8" abs plastic. A friend of mine gave me a section of bathroom stall door and it is solid plastic. never rots and you can take the carpet off your panel and staple on to your new panel with stainless staples. Probably a $50 fix

There are a couple of standard manufacturer methods for this panel (tiller cover panel):

1. as noted, a honeycomb panel (expensive but very lightweight)

2. fiberglass over foamcore, very affordable materials available at several sources like McMaster Carr and Jamestown Distributors. The mold would be simple and easy to make.

The marine plywood or ABS plastic solution would be easy and cheap, but not as strong or as light as the above solutions.