Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impregnated wax cord VS GFO goretex

Vettesetter

So ideally you want a drip rate of one drip every ten seconds with the wax cord packing, would the rate change if using the "virtually dripless" GFO product? And if so what is the desired drip rate?

I installed the GFO product this spring. After putting the boat in the water, it took some tinkering to get the packing nut right (originally too tight causing it to get extremely hot). I ended up with barely any tension on the nut, and it stays cool to touch. Have put about 40 hrs on boat and not had to adjust. Anyways.....mine doesn't drip at all. It sure has been a nice change having a dry bilge (and ski locker) this season.

Edited by davemac

I installed the GFO product this spring. After putting the boat in the water, it took some tinkering to get the packing nut right (originally too tight causing it to get extremely hot). I ended up with barely any tension on the nut, and it stays cool to touch. Have put about 40 hrs on boat and not had to adjust. Anyways.....mine doesn't drip at all. It sure has been a nice change having a dry bilge (and ski locker) this season.

Awesome, The nut is not even hand tight but I guess as long as the nut doesn't get hot and there is no dripping I'm good :clap:. Did you put 2 or 3 coils in?

I put 3 coils of GFO in mine that I got from SkiDim. I adjusted it to just beyond hand tight and had my wife run the boat across the lake while I watched the packing. After 10 minutes and not a single drip and a cold to the touch packing.....I was a happy camper.

I put 3 coils of GFO in mine that I got from SkiDim. I adjusted it to just beyond hand tight and had my wife run the boat across the lake while I watched the packing. After 10 minutes and not a single drip and a cold to the touch packing.....I was a happy camper.

Thats what I'm hoping for.......Hows the Vibrams Matt?

Good! They are super comfy and really light. I played some Ultimate Frisbee in them. The bad part is we were on wet grass instead of turf like usual so they were super slippery. I switched to my cleats for the rest of the game after going down trying to cut for a disk in the end zone. Next week I'll hopefully get to try them on the turf. How are yours?

Good! They are super comfy and really light. I played some Ultimate Frisbee in them. The bad part is we were on wet grass instead of turf like usual so they were super slippery. I switched to my cleats for the rest of the game after going down trying to cut for a disk in the end zone. Next week I'll hopefully get to try them on the turf. How are yours?

I like them Matt. Although mine are quite tight, I think they will be awesome for Kauai in and out of the water and on the beach. They are fitting snug but not hurting anywhere so I think they are good. I will probably pick up another pair, maybe the Bikila's in a while when my wife's not paying attention. :rockon:

I think the Bikila's would be a better match for me. I used mine on the boat the other day and after retrieving the boat it took a couple days to fully dry out. I looked at their usage chart and the Bikila's are rated for water use so I'm guessing they would dry a lot faster.

I'm still digging them though. They are super comfy. I think I might have to go your route and pick up a pair of Bikila's eventually.

I think the Bikila's would be a better match for me. I used mine on the boat the other day and after retrieving the boat it took a couple days to fully dry out. I looked at their usage chart and the Bikila's are rated for water use so I'm guessing they would dry a lot faster.

I'm still digging them though. They are super comfy. I think I might have to go your route and pick up a pair of Bikila's eventually.

I thought you had the Bikila's already......which ones did you get?