Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fogging the engine question

No problem pulling all the plugs. It is INMO better. Once you get the oil in you only need to turn it over a very little. Two or three revaluations is fine.

If you do one at a time the first cylinders are being wiped clean before you are done.

Is that safe to use with cats? I called indmar regarding fogging and they indicated that we should not fog through the spark arrestor with an engine with cats. I am wondering what they have to say about this stuff.

Is that safe to use with cats? I called indmar regarding fogging and they indicated that we should not fog through the spark arrestor with an engine with cats. I am wondering what they have to say about this stuff.

This what my local dealer uses and they have had no problems at all with it, including the newer cat engines. Just winterized yesterday and this is what I used based on their recommendation.

This what my local dealer uses and they have had no problems at all with it, including the newer cat engines. Just winterized yesterday and this is what I used based on their recommendation.

That's good to know. I stumbled upon the product a few months ago and had some reservations. I liked the idea that all I had to do was put the product in the tank like Stabil and it would not only stabilize the fuel, but would treat (fog) the engine.

I added the product, ran the boat around the lake to get it in the system and then pulled the boat out. I didn't observer any smoke coming from the boat like I do when going with the conventional F/O down the throat.

Another method I saw on youtube, a guy add a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark arester which seemed to work well. I believe adding F/O down the arrester is the method my dealer goes with.

I don't think PCM reccomends fogging their cats with the traditional methodology, BICBW.

winterizing, huh?.....move to Hawaii and drive all year!

I need some crew/ski buddies...Are there any bucrew that live on the island of Oahu, Hawail?

winterizing, huh?.....move to Hawaii and drive all year!

I need some crew/ski buddies...Are there any bucrew that live on the island of Oahu, Hawail?

Sure, sounds great! ..........I'll just move in with you. :biggrin:

How long do you have to run the engine for this to work like a fogging solution? Would adding this to the tank and starting to bring the engine up to temp to change the oil be enough time. I don't have a Cats engine but I like this idea.

How long do you have to run the engine for this to work like a fogging solution? Would adding this to the tank and starting to bring the engine up to temp to change the oil be enough time. I don't have a Cats engine but I like this idea.

Yes, just add it to the tank before running the engine for oil change like you would with any type of fuel stabilizer. You won't see any smoke or anything, but it seems to work very well. My local dealer swears by it and they winterize a lot of boats every fall.

Yes, just add it to the tank before running the engine for oil change like you would with any type of fuel stabilizer. You won't see any smoke or anything, but it seems to work very well. My local dealer swears by it and they winterize a lot of boats every fall.

Does your dealer swear by it because it is easier to use than pulling the plugs or because it is a superior product. You will not get a recommendation from Indmar for this product.

Does your dealer swear by it because it is easier to use than pulling the plugs or because it is a superior product. You will not get a recommendation from Indmar for this product.

Good question....I was wondering the same thing.

Who knows for sure. All I know is that their service department is one of the best (based on awards from Malibu, not just my opinion) and I trust what they say. Everyone has a different opinion on this. Some say don't fog cat engines at all as the oil is going to go through the cats whether you spray in into the manifold or through the cylinders. Some say fogging is essential if the engine is going to sit for a month. Others say it doesn't need to be fogged unless it will sit for a year or more. I have a neighbor at the lake that works for Mastercraft and he was telling me that fogging isn't needed for the boat sitting only over the winter. What is best is anyone's guess but I know that if I do what my dealer does, I'll have their support if there are any issues down the road.
  • Like 1

I don't think you will get a recomendation from Indmar for ANY product.

Pulling all the plugs, squirting in a small amount of FO (not too much, dont want hydrolock) , bumping the ignition (or turning over by hand), re-gapping the plugs, putting the plugs back in to proper torque............oh, my head hurts! :biggrin:

The more parts to a process the more opportunity for mistake.

link to the other method I saw, start at about 4:30

http://youtu.be/_P8Qh9Idc7c

Who knows for sure. All I know is that their service department is one of the best (based on awards from Malibu, not just my opinion) and I trust what they say. Everyone has a different opinion on this. Some say don't fog cat engines at all as the oil is going to go through the cats whether you spray in into the manifold or through the cylinders. Some say fogging is essential if the engine is going to sit for a month. Others say it doesn't need to be fogged unless it will sit for a year or more. I have a neighbor at the lake that works for Mastercraft and he was telling me that fogging isn't needed for the boat sitting only over the winter. What is best is anyone's guess but I know that if I do what my dealer does, I'll have their support if there are any issues down the road.

maybe...i just follow the recommendations found in the Indmar Manual which are (1) do not fog an engine with CATS thru the intake and (2) "fog engine by removing spark plugs.

I don't think you will get a recomendation from Indmar for ANY product.

Pulling all the plugs, squirting in a small amount of FO (not too much, dont want hydrolock) , bumping the ignition (or turning over by hand), re-gapping the plugs, putting the plugs back in to proper torque............oh, my head hurts! :biggrin:

The more parts to a process the more opportunity for mistake.

link to the other method I saw, start at about 4:30

you haven't read the manual then

you haven't read the manual then

Why would I read the Indmar manual? My engine is a PCM that came with a PCM manual.

Read my post, what specific products, not methodology, is recomended by Indmar. Let me know, I have a few sitting my my shelf depending on which boat / engine I'm working on.

All sarcasim aside, what I listed is a relatively new product that probably hasn't been evaluated by Indmar. Call Indmar if in doubt. Another post above stated that a very reputable dealer used it. Just because it's not specifcly in your manual doesn't nececarily mean that it won't work. Does it make the process much simpler and easier? Without question.

Why would I read the Indmar manual? My engine is a PCM that came with a PCM manual.

Read my post, what specific products, not methodology, is recomended by Indmar. Let me know, I have a few sitting my my shelf depending on which boat / engine I'm working on.

All sarcasim aside, what I listed is a relatively new product that probably hasn't been evaluated by Indmar. Call Indmar if in doubt. Another post above stated that a very reputable dealer used it. Just because it's not specifcly in your manual doesn't nececarily mean that it won't work. Does it make the process much simpler and easier? Without question.

for one, they recommend Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, and i have called them, there response is; that is what they have tested, that is what they recommend, and they will not endorse or recommend any other product. Their manual clearly states to fog an engine with cats thru the spark plugs again they will not endorse a product or method other than that. Without cats they say to fog thru the intake.

I agree it does not mean other products or methods won't work...but why go against what the manufacturer recommends. It is not that difficult. You are also correct in saying this is a new product that may not be tested on their engines...exactly.