Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crazy Electrics

Hi Guys

Tonight I asked a couple of people from work to go boarding with me. We arrived at one of our local lakes and we were the only boat, the wind conditions were 0mph so the lake was like glass. I was really looking forward to getting in some serious boarding. Put the boat in the water and it would not start. The boat has been reliable since I've had it so too miss out on such a great looking evening is a PITA!

I had about 30 minutes at home before it got dark. I could see fuel jetting in when I pumped the throttle, its not fuel. I pulled the plugs, they looked fine. I checked for a spark and did not see one. Now here is the weird part. A week or so ago my fuel gauge became very innacurate, almost always showing full. I assumed it was the sensor (float). Last weekend I was problem solving a noisy stereo and discovered it was a bad earth. While playing about with the amp I noticed my engine temperature gauge went off the charts, it is still sat there, probably broke. Tonight my battery gauge showed 8 volts, it is not at 8 volts.. I even tried to jump start and that did not work. Now the boat won't start and I'm having all sorts of gauge and stereo issues. I'm going to assume a really bad earth somewhere. Not looking for help at this time, just venting because I'm still pi**ed at missing an evening of boarding. Tomorrow my new fuse box arrives, I'm going to rewire the entire boat.

Regards

Ade

Guys

I've just checked the distributor and there does not seem to be any power getting to the distributor. I checked this by pulling the cable between the distributor cap and the coil, i used a screw driver to create a bridge between the coil side of the lead and earth (small gap), cranked the engine and there was no spark. I'm now getting out of my depth but I'm going to start with the coil. Any advice appreciated.

This forum is well worth being a member of. I just fixed the issue by just reading the forums. I found that the coil had 0 volts on it, it should have 12 volts with the key on and engine not running. I found a purple wire had come loose at the key ignition switch, connected it to a 'black' wire (the only other loose end) and the boat started 1st time.

Ade

• Like 1

Yes they did, very strange that all the dials were going to the stops just because a coil wire was missing. I'll just accept that when it comes to ground issues they behave very strangely. I also took my dist cap off expecting points and found a HEI electric ignition - nice bonus on my 94 boat.

I saw this post title yesterday and didn't dare click on it (that stuff can drive you crazy), then tonight I saw it was yours Adel and I was like Oh crap!

But I wouldn't have been any help - congrats on the easy fix though! As I first started reading it I thought "Maybe my dash is fine just the way it is" but now I'm back to "it's gotta go".

Hey MB, thanks for taking the time to read it. The dash is a very nice upgrade, which I would do again without hesitation. What I faile dto mention in this original post was that I was poking around in the drivers footwell over the weekend. Taking out an amp, so when I say an ignition wire had come loose, what i should of said was the iginition wire came loose because of me. Nothing to do with the dash upgrade.

Regards

Ade