Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at New Malibu

Blaze91

New to the site currently own a Mastercraft X25. Am looking at picking up a new Malibu purely for the surfgate system. Essentially I'm sick of transferring back and forth the 2K worth of ballast I run for surfing (I surf goofy, meaning 10 minutes of typhoon pumping to get me going).

I've spoken to my local (5 hours away) dealer, however, feel I may not be getting the best info from him. I know nothing about Malibu and dont have a bunch of time to surf this site.

My questions:

Which boat in the lineup is closest in size to the X25? Im thinking the 23LSV?

I really like the deep vee of my X25 hull, is the 23LSV comparable?

What is the deal with the wedge? I know nothing about it, how well does it work? What do you use it for?

What kind of weight do we need to add to the 23LSV to get a world class surf wake (like what I get with my X25)?

Which engine option is best here for running 2K+ weight?

What are the must-have options for the Wakesetter line-up?

What is the consensus on the new surfgate system?

Any other boat in the lineup I should consider?

Not trying to turn this into a "this brand, that brand" game. I love my Mastercraft however feel I would love being able to instantly switch surf waves without spending a bunch of time screwing around with ballast even more.

Thanks for your help!

From what I've heard, surfgate does a good job. You can weight the boat evenly, for example 2 1100s filled in the back, a 650 up front. You don't need to switch from one side to the other filling ballast, just press a button, makes it real easy. The wedge is like a trim tab, works well. IMO, I don't like the shape it gives the wake, but you could play with it while surfing and see what position suits you. With extra ballast and surfgate, the 23 should do very well, I haven't seen your x25 wave so I can't compare, but the LSV sounds like the one to go with. I think the x25 is 22'5, so the 23 would be comparable. As far as options go, get all the ballast, power wedge, leave the stereo alone, you can get better aftermarket stuff, just get the basic, or none if you can. Get the great lakes cover if you can, tandem trailer, don't spend the money on the fancy tires and lights, it's just a trailer. Get a Bimini top, snap out carpet, pop up bow light is nice, docking lights, swim lights. As far as engines go, at least the 6.0. Better to have the extra power and not need it than the other way around. If you want a lot of power, the LS3 looks great, LSA is a little overkill and way expensive ($15k). The 6.0 is $5k, the LS3 is $10k I think.

Other models: 22 MXZ, which is a pickle fork. 247 lsv, which is 1.7 feet longer than the 23.

If you are coming from an X25 check out the 22 MXZ, 23 LSV, and heck if it was a new X25 check out the new 24 ft MXZ!

I think if you check out the 23 LSV you will be happy with how deep the hull is.

The wedge adds displacement to the back of your boat, talk to the dealer I am sure they can explain it.

With surfgate I am not sure but we ran on top of the factory ballast in my buddies 23 750 in the rear surf side, full factory ballast and 400lbs up front with a decent sized crew. I would think with the surfgate you will be able to run 1100 in the rear again not sure haven'e been out on one yet with surfgate.

I would go with the LS3 (second motor option) but if money is no object go with the 555hp. The 350 with 2k+ on top of factory might have some issues getting out of the hole. But I have the 350 in mine and ran 2400lbs on top of the factory ballast with a smaller crew and had no issues. Test drive one and see what you think.

If I were getting a new 2013 of course surfgate, plug and play, biggest stereo pack (unless you want to go aftermarket like exile or wetsounds then let your dealer do you a custom stereo). Dual batteries, snap out carpet, upgraded motor (if you are going 23 lsv or running the weight you want to), all factory ballast (all 4 tanks + Plug and play), silent tip exhaust (wish i had this), heater, gps speed control, malivue, power wedge.

If you want a world class surf wake, get the 247 or 247MXZ.....or at least link up with someone who has theirs dialed in before you decide. I'm not saying the others don't throw a great surf wake....the 22mxz and 23 are very capable surf boats....but the 247 is the monster of surf boats. $3-4k difference up to the 247 FYI.

Let me kill a quick myth, the 2013s do have P&P...but you WILL DEF still have to sac and Malibu even with surfgate to get a great surf wake.

Hands down pound for pound Malibu throws a better surf wake even without the surfgate. You won't be disspointed.

What is Malivue and Silent Tip Exhaust? I'd rather not have a 24' boat as I trailer this thing a ton. From what I saw online the 23 is the best looking boat as well.

Does the tower fold down fairly easy?

If you are coming from an X25 check out the 22 MXZ, 23 LSV, and heck if it was a new X25 check out the new 24 ft MXZ!

I think if you check out the 23 LSV you will be happy with how deep the hull is.

The wedge adds displacement to the back of your boat, talk to the dealer I am sure they can explain it.

With surfgate I am not sure but we ran on top of the factory ballast in my buddies 23 750 in the rear surf side, full factory ballast and 400lbs up front with a decent sized crew. I would think with the surfgate you will be able to run 1100 in the rear again not sure haven'e been out on one yet with surfgate.

I would go with the LS3 (second motor option) but if money is no object go with the 555hp. The 350 with 2k+ on top of factory might have some issues getting out of the hole. But I have the 350 in mine and ran 2400lbs on top of the factory ballast with a smaller crew and had no issues. Test drive one and see what you think.

If I were getting a new 2013 of course surfgate, plug and play, biggest stereo pack (unless you want to go aftermarket like exile or wetsounds then let your dealer do you a custom stereo). Dual batteries, snap out carpet, upgraded motor (if you are going 23 lsv or running the weight you want to), all factory ballast (all 4 tanks + Plug and play), silent tip exhaust (wish i had this), heater, gps speed control, malivue, power wedge.

:plus1: The only thing I will add is make sure you Test drive and the 23 LSV, 22MXZ, 24 MXZ and the 247 LSV. Welcome to the crew :cheers: If you need help finding some one to let you test drive we can help.

Malivue (pretty much if you have surfgate then you will have this anyway) but it is the center lcd screen that gives you all the info on your boat

Silent tip exhaust is a turned down exhaust to keep the motor a little quieter.

Go to Malibu's website and plug around it shows a number of the options with pictures.

Also go to your local dealer and climb all over a bu, ask lots of questions its your money you are spending and I am sure they won't mind discussing all the options.

Good luck and we need pictures on whatever you decide to get.

Malivue (pretty much if you have surfgate then you will have this anyway) but it is the center lcd screen that gives you all the info on your boat

Go to Malibu's website and plug around it shows a number of the options with pictures.

Also go to your local dealer and climb all over a bu, ask lots of questions its your money you are spending and I am sure they won't mind discussing all the options.

Good luck and we need pictures on whatever you decide to get.

surfgate integrates to MTC not malivue. Secondly, Malivue is standard on the boats he's considering.

As to wakesetter's points, all Malibu's he is considering (actually all for 2013 period) come standard with water cooled seals and tandem axle trailers for any of the boats he is considering.

As to power wedge, wedge is not at ALL like a trim tab, which does nothing for increasing the size of the wave, can only DECREASE the size of the wave. The wedge BUILDs the wave by pulling the rear deeper into the water. It's a must have option whether you personally like it or not for resale and its easily worth 3k.

Sounds like the 23 LSV will be the best fit for you... Our dealer has had the best luck with the surf gate wave behind that boat. Keep in mind that you may not need 2K in ballast in a Malibu like you need in the x25. The power wedge is still the best surfing tool going IMO and really enhances the size of the wave on my VLX... The surf gates are a great idea but it is not a replacement for ballast. I vote for the LS3 engine... the 410 is not a significant enough upgrade...

What is Malivue and Silent Tip Exhaust? I'd rather not have a 24' boat as I trailer this thing a ton. From what I saw online the 23 is the best looking boat as well.

Does the tower fold down fairly easy?

Tower is weightless to fold down (has countershocks that can be swapped out depending on how much weight you put on the tower)...and you can get it into an 8 foot garage (at least on my VTX ... 20 ft... unsure about the 23... but I'm sure that's addressed somewhere on this forum.) The tower is one of the reasons I bought Malibu! That sucker is rock solid after two years of use. Factory bimini is great.... large coverage area.

I'd forgo factory cover and get one made by Evolution... particularly if you're towing a lot.

Another vote for the 23LSV. I took one out on a pretty long demo and was impressed with the surf gate system and the plug and play ballast. We were switching over side to side on the fly and had a blast surfing behind it. I would also vote for the LS3 engine if you are going to upgrade. The 410hp 6.0 that I drove did not impress over the base Monsoon.

I think you will be happy with the performance of the LSV, especially handling vs. the X25, but you might miss your X25's interior fit and finish. Looked very hard at an X25 and I am still impressed with the interior on that boat. Very nice. Malibu is lagging in the interior layout and fit and finish department.

Looked at an X25 during my search...that boat is small, as I recall 21'6" hull plus platform. Felt alot like Xstars I've been in. The one I tested had the 400hp 6.2(3)L engine so had plenty of go, and had surf tabs which was cool. MC's ride higher in the bow and, IMHO, are great at a few things (surf, wakeboard). It's very difficult to get the boat to settle down and not generate a wake, even with the attitude adj plate. Malibu tends to be better at more things (runabout, surf, wakeboard, handling, cruising). It has more of a forward ride position and the skegs prevent listing. I think most would agree that bu's also feel bigger even when hull dimensions are the same, ie my 247 v. my buddy's X45, no contest, we go out in my boat everytime we got big crews.

We also hop out on my boat b/c the wedge is easier than ballast tank filling as pointed out in previous posts.

I think if you look at an X25 then step onto a 23LSV, you'll be so amazed at the size diffference it will feel like a significantly larger boat at a potentially lower price (depending on options).

Good luck, this is the fun part!

Before anybody takes me wrong, let me clarify my "that boat is small" comment. A 23' LOA boat isn't small, I meant for a X25, there's just nothing 25 about it if you know what I mean. It would be huge for a X21! :)

Looked at an X25 during my search...that boat is small, as I recall 21'6" hull plus platform. Felt alot like Xstars I've been in. The one I tested had the 400hp 6.2(3)L engine so had plenty of go, and had surf tabs which was cool. MC's ride higher in the bow and, IMHO, are great at a few things (surf, wakeboard). It's very difficult to get the boat to settle down and not generate a wake, even with the attitude adj plate. Malibu tends to be better at more things (runabout, surf, wakeboard, handling, cruising). It has more of a forward ride position and the skegs prevent listing. I think most would agree that bu's also feel bigger even when hull dimensions are the same, ie my 247 v. my buddy's X45, no contest, we go out in my boat everytime we got big crews.

We also hop out on my boat b/c the wedge is easier than ballast tank filling as pointed out in previous posts.

I think if you look at an X25 then step onto a 23LSV, you'll be so amazed at the size diffference it will feel like a significantly larger boat at a potentially lower price (depending on options).

Good luck, this is the fun part!

Owning a MC and a Bu, I agree with many of your points. Especially how BU's can do so many things very well. I've driven a X-25 without tracking fins and it takes 100 yards to make a 180 degree turn, while Bu's take 10 yards (exaggerating). However, I disagree the X-25 feels small. It's a big boat, lots of seating, more freeboard/deeper seating, lots of storage and a big bow it feels spacious. Having said that, so does a LSV. LSV has more seating in the cabin area and a smaller bow. Malibu is very smart with their cab forward design. You have a lot of weight in the back, engine, tranny, etc. they push the seating forward, and small details like batteries up front help with the weight distribution. Can you say sports car handling?

To the OP, you should test drive a new X-30 (MC paid attention to 23 LSV hull design) and test drive a 23 LSV and report back to us. Pretty close to an apples to apples comparison. I've been in a new X-30 and I'm very impressed, the new 2 point tower is awesome, sturdy like the G3 and easier to fold. Yes it's true, but there is some front to back play when the tower is up. I would say I can wiggle it 1/2" to 1" front to back. That can't be good for wakeboarding when trying to load and release a wakeboard rope :(

Edited by skurfer

I could be wrong, but Silent Tip Exhaust is pretty much a straight exhaust that has an extra baffle inside to reduce noise. The 90 degree turn down exhaust will not reduce noise unless your exhaust is totally underwater on plane and while surfing the list won't allow this. The 90 turn down exhaust is also no longer offered by Malibu. My high-performance car buddy looked and the Silent Tip and doesn't think it restricts enough airlfow to reduce engine performance.

The Surf Gate 23 we demo'd had Silent Tip Exhaust and it does reduce noise somewhat, but it's not truly 'silent'. Probably worth the upgrade if noise is a big concern, but it won't allow you to easily hear the boat music from a surf position, which is my requirement for the next boat.

I've been working with Larry and I'm going FAE for Lucy from day one. I'll do a full write-up on the system when I have my 24. Based on my experience with FAE on my Moomba it reduced noise dramatically. Hopefully I get that again and don't have to do a couple thousand dollars in stereo work to get what I'm after.

It's funny that's it's a problem right there at surf position. On Stella once you fall and the boat gets 75' away (wakeboarding length) you can hear the stereo very well even at reasonable levels.

Edited by Tyger