Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oops...anybody want to take a guess on costs?

MtnRider

So my beautiful 2001 Sunsetter took a whack from a boat this weekend during a rather fast and furious thunderstorm. Obviously she needs to have two fiberglass repairs. As this is the first time I've encountered this I have no idea if I'm looking at $250 or $2,500. I have someone who does fiberglass repair work, not typically on boats though, looking at the pics and I should hear from him tomorrow. There are two impact points so two different repairs will need to be done.

Anyone out there want to take a cost guess? Is this insurance worthy? Is this even something that can be done by your average do it yourselfer? My guess is a no.

I also had my ICM go out this weekend as well but that was worked out within a few hours of failure...so the education and troubleshooting i learned from hear got me back on the water pretty darn quick...especially for a Sunday on Labor Day Weekend. Thank you to the crew for that.

Thanks!

boatdamage5.jpg

boatdamage4.jpg

boatdamage3.jpg

boatdamage2.jpg

From the pics, it looks like 2 separate 3" rips down to the fiberglass.... But that the fiberglass is otherwise undamaged right? Black Gel coat damage only? Nothing went thru the fiberglass right?

I would estimate for A+ level work.... Trying to match slightly faded 12yr gel... Luckily looks like only 1 color... Black is easiest to match....$500-1000 ball park range for premium work if my assumptions above are accurate.

From the pics, it looks like 2 separate 3" rips down to the fiberglass.... But that the fiberglass is otherwise undamaged right? Black Gel coat damage only? Nothing went thru the fiberglass right?

I would estimate for A+ level work.... Trying to match slightly faded 12yr gel... Luckily looks like only 1 color... Black is easiest to match....$500-1000 ball park range for premium work if my assumptions above are accurate.

Yes sir, two rips or crush points...my only concern is that they happened right on the radii (radius) or lip that separates the black from the beige stripe...do you think that will cause an issue blending that curve into the repair?

Edited by MtnRider

The other thing that could add cost is how close it is to the other colored stripe. If they have to do a two color repair that gets to be a pain in the butt. My guess is $1200 for a dealership estimate. You could do it yourself for less than $500.

Looks like its all in the black gel coat, so you might have been lucky there. As for cost, I had a small dime sized gash in my white gelcoat, and it only set me back $80. My guess is going to be in the range of $250-$350.

Look up some local repair shops and ask for an estimate.

Keep us updated as to what it ends up costing.

Just to add some detail, my guess is based on color matched gel from Spectrum on a boat your age. I had to send in a 1" circular sample of my boat for them to match due to fade over time. Spectrum will only so custom color match gel in a 1 gallon size which is not cheap. :no: If you can use a generic black, the $100 range for a DIY repair is easily doable.

I'll keep you all updated for sure. Initial guesstimate from the guy I know...and this is only looking at the same pics as you guys...is around $350. My only hope is that it stays in that ball park. Thanks as always for the quick responses.

Oh and by the way I'm embarrassed about taking some of those pics before cleaning the boat off...very unlike me.

Just to add some detail, my guess is based on color matched gel from Spectrum on a boat your age. I had to send in a 1" circular sample of my boat for them to match due to fade over time. Spectrum will only so custom color match gel in a 1 gallon size which is not cheap. :no: If you can use a generic black, the $100 range for a DIY repair is easily doable.

Martin, I'm hoping that due to the incredibly low hours of the boat, only 77 when I bought it this June, that the black will not be all that faded and the DIY or whatever gelcoat this gentleman deals with will match properly. The previous owner had the boat indoors since 2001 and only brought it out for his grand kids 2-3 days a year. Then he winterized and changed the oil almost every year...the boat has had 9 oil changes over its first 77 hours...so essentially it still looks new. :thumbup:

We'll have to wait and see...hopefully it will match cause I know it will drive me bonkers for years to come if it doesn't. :(

I'll keep you all updated for sure. Initial guesstimate from the guy I know...and this is only looking at the same pics as you guys...is around $350. My only hope is that it stays in that ball park. Thanks as always for the quick responses.

Oh and by the way I'm embarrassed about taking some of those pics before cleaning the boat off...very unlike me.

Hijack on-I let my boat sit in the water for a week and a half while my trailer got worked on, and I was EMBARASSED to trailer it home to clean it off! Hijack off

• Like 2

Martin, I'm hoping that due to the incredibly low hours of the boat, only 77 when I bought it this June, that the black will not be all that faded and the DIY or whatever gelcoat this gentleman deals with will match properly. The previous owner had the boat indoors since 2001 and only brought it out for his grand kids 2-3 days a year. Then he winterized and changed the oil almost every year...the boat has had 9 oil changes over its first 77 hours...so essentially it still looks new. :thumbup:

We'll have to wait and see...hopefully it will match cause I know it will drive me bonkers for years to come if it doesn't. :(

With that said you shouldn't need to go through what I did. Keep in mind my boat is 26 years old. :) I just know Spectrum won't send color matched gel after so many years, but fade should not be an issue for your boat!