Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anchor buoy-anchor buddy

kygreen229

I want to get a anchor buoy and a anchor buddy for my families boat for now. Parents like to anchor out a little ways from the bow and done that many times but the inevitable swim is what ends up happening once you set the anchor. Then you forgot something and its dark and you have to swim out and what not.

My main question is setting up a mooring buoy....how the setup is to the buoy then from the buoy to the boat? I have never used a mooring buoy but would be great once you find "your cove" for the day or for camping. The anchor buddy and your choice amount of regular sinking anchor line is attached straight to the buoy from the anchor but then do you attach your boat directly to the buoy or do the anchor lines run through some kind of ring that is attached usually? I have searched and searched this and have not found a picture or anything where I understand that part exactly. I am just imagining a rope running directly to this little buoy and tying to the rubber part of the buoy? I am over thinking this I am sure! Thanks for any pictures or clarification guys.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking here. Around here a typical mooring bouy is something you set in the spring & leave it there till fall, then pull it up for the winter. Usually we use chain or super heavy rope, and a large, brightly colored bouy like you'd buy at West Marine or Boater's World.

When I use an Anchor Buddy, I have a small/medium sized, brightly colored, boat bumper tied at the opposite end from the anchor. Then a carabiner that I can clip to any bow or stern ring. The carabiner is attached to the anchor buddy, not the float, so there is no strength required from the float other than to keep the end of the anchor buddy & carabiner floating on the surface. I have never had a problem leaving that setup for a few hours, like if your camping or just out goofing off for the day. But I'd think it would grow legs & walk off if you left it some places..... especially if you had a nice box anchor on it.

• Like 3

ya this would just be for the day or camping for the weekend if you had a spot set up in a cove. Unless I lived in an area where a more permanent mooring buoy setup would be practical.

I guess my ulitmate question is the buoy just sits attahed to the anchor buddy or anchor rope, but your boat is atttached to the anchor buddy or anchor rope as well not the actual little buoy? The buoy is simply floating there to hold your spot and show where your anchor line is...so is there usually a ring on the end of the buoy that the line goes through? It seems that this question is so stupid that I can't find and answer and I just need to go to a boat shop and buy a buoy and an anchor buddy and it will probably make sense.

Yea, it's hard to find any descent pics online of how to setup an Anchor Buddy.

But in this shot you can see the shackle on one end, where the anchor goes. And the carabiner on the other, that clips to the boat.

What I did was about 3" from the carabiner, loop the rope thru the eye on the bumper/float. Then feed the carabiner end thru the loop. You just don't want the bumper/float being a weak link in your tie up.

AncBud_blk.jpg

Hope that helps.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I use a box anchor then the anchor buddy. I removed the end that attaches to the anchor and threaded it thru a boat bumper then put the anchor clip back on, so the boat bumper holds the boat clip at the surface, then pull up and clip the anchor buddy directly to the boat leaving the boat bumper just below the big clip.

to help pull the box anchor up, I have a second poly line (floater) tied to the anchor and the boat bumper. To retrieve the anchor I use the poly line not the anchor buddy.

Tie the D clip to a second long floating line and take it to shore to to the houseboat. Then you can pull the malibu in and step on or off or load and unload.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty straight forward as it should. So no little line with a ring or anything just straight to the buoy it sounds like.

How bout this picture with the anchor buoy and anchor buddy like 6'+ from the boat? The anchor buddy line must just be running through some kind of a ring attached to the buoy so the buoy stays more or less a top of the anchor and the boat can drift back? Or they just have the line pulled that far through the buoy maybe?

scroll about 1/4 way down this page and its the second picture with the blue supra and orange float.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/430216.html?1175781992.

I cant seem to figure out how to attach pictures on this particular forum...

thanks,

Kyle

Thats a mooring bouy, like with chain & a much larger anchor. Sounds like he's using a short anchor buddy from the bouy to the bow so he can pull the swimstep in to shore when they board the boat. Sounds like he's using it for longer term storage & the water levels fluctuate a lot.

So what are you intending to use this for? Daily/hourly use & then store it on the boat?

ya that is a mooring buoy but a small one. I am intending to use it for weekend camping trips/day trips to the lake. There is a pretty cool resouvoiur that feeds the one below it and the one above is wamer and harder to get to but you pretty much have the lake to yourself. There are no docks however. Just a put in/take out ramp. So for camping or just for the day this would be a awesome setup. If I know I am going there then i would take my anchor, anchor chain, anchor buddy, small mooring buoy and obviously a line to shore. Maybe a sand spike or just use a tree or large rock.

I'm just trying to get it all setup. We already have an anchor and regular anchor line. I want to try the anchor buddy with the "non-permanent" mooring buoy to leave there while we are out and then clip back but just trying to find how everyone is using the buoy, the simplest part haha like that picture that I linked up.

Yea, Malibu owners who use mooring bouys are pretty rare. Their typically used on the ocean or maybe rivers where the water level fluctuates a lot. I've also seen them used for houseboats at Lake Powell.

Most of us who use the Anchor Buddy do it for pretty short term use...... a day, a night, maybe a weekend at most.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

No I gotcha for sure. So lets say you get to this sweet little cove and it is kinda rocky or for whatever reason you dont want to beach your boat, so you want to setup an anchor/anchor buddy with a buoy on the end for the day so you can leave your anchor in the water, hold your spot etc and go play then come back and reattach. I feel like a lot of people do this? Or is it that much of a pain to setup for just the day and/or weekend? I imagine you just loop the rope around the hole in the buoy and leave like 6' of line out to attach to the bow eye?

My main question still is about just the buoy in genernal. I feel like I am beating the S*%$ out of a dead horse with this but I see pictures of it and stuff so people do it! haha.

Yea, I just use the Anchor Buddy with a bright colored bumper on the opposite end from the anchor. Done. I have used that in pretty good winds without any problems. Even used one anchor with multiple boats & not had any issues.

I guess the use of a real mooring bouy is over-engineering it for short term use.

93392F-f-super-gard-boat-fenders.jpg

Cool deal. So the buoy is just directly on the end of the anchor buddy so when you connect it to your boat the buoy is up out of the water basially? Or do you remove the buoy when connected to it? Or do you feed the buoy through a few feet so it rests off the boat a little ways?

A few inches from the hooked carabiner, I looped the rope & fed the loop thru the bumper, then fed the carabiner thru the loop. This puts the bumper a few inches away from the carabiner. The bumper easily floats the anchor buddy & carabiner so I can find it when I return. The bumper won't hurt the boat at all so it's no big deal if they bounce off each other all night. But your going to tie the other end of the boat to the shore anyway, which will create some tension on the anchor buddy, pulling the bumper away slightly. But I don't have more than 5"or 6" in there anyway.

Plus the whole thing, box anchor, anchor buddy & bumper stows inside the box anchor bag & then under the bow seats. Easiest anchor system I've ever used.

The use of an additional rope parallel to the anchor buddy but shorter in total length isn't a bad idea either. I suppose there is a chance the anchor buddy could break, especially in some wind & waves. Never seen it myself but anything is possible.

I use mine for a week at a time when we rent a houseboat at Dale Hollow. We have 4 boats tied around the house boat and 3 of them are on seperate anchor buddies. None use a parrallel line just the Anchor Buddy, No failures in about 7 years yet. We do keep a close eye on them if the wind gets up as they may swing together on the stretchy lines. During storms we may need to remove the boat in the middle and ride it out away from the others. The outer layer of the Buddy is where the strength comes from when pulling it to the full stretched length. The inner part is like a long piece of surgical tubing for the recoil. It will only stretch as long as the outer cover allows and not till the inner tubing would break.

You know those Polyform ski buoys? There only like $10 or so. Seems that would work well with the anchor buddy. Dont know if the hole on the bottom of the buoy is big enogh for the anchor buddy to go through though?