Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cranking in neutral no key

I would bet it is a shorted ignition switch. Try disconnecting the terminals one at a time and insulating them from the back of the switch (after marking them). If it cures the problem you found your culprit.

Could be a totally different circumstance, but my boat did this when the starter went out.

Did the solenoid weld closed? I could see that being another possibility, but the switch would be something easy to try before digging farther downstream.

Did the solenoid weld closed? I could see that being another possibility, but the switch would be something easy to try before digging farther downstream.

I would assume so. Boat cranked until the battery had nothing left, and the solenoid was smoking like cheech and chong when I opened up the engine hatch.

Sixball- That is another thing to check that I didn't even think of. Go down by the starter and smell it. Mine had a nasty electrical smell after this happened.

Cincy, it would stop when you put it in gear tho? And then restart in neutral?

I agree with the first answer that the ignition is shorting. When the boat is in gear the neutral safety switch breaks the starting circuit which is why it won't crank while in gear.

Cincy, it would stop when you put it in gear tho? And then restart in neutral?

I agree with the first answer that the ignition is shorting. When the boat is in gear the neutral safety switch breaks the starting circuit which is why it won't crank while in gear.

I didn't try to put it in gear when it was doing it. I quickly figured out it was the starter from the smell under the hatch.

To the OP, is it doing it anytime that it is in neutral or was this an isolated incident? If it does it anytime, I would lean towards the ignition. Just wanted to share my experience in case it was a one time thing and no one checked the engine for starter issues.

I was told it cranks any time put in neutral. I can't look at it he took it out to winterize it so its not close.

There's the problem.....it just wants to finish the season and not be put away yet!