Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No wedge, am I missing out?

demo9asx

I did a search but could not find any thread on this but here's the scoop.

Bought an 02 wakesetter vlx with no wedge but the previous owner replaced the rear hard tanks with 750lbs bag on each side. The boat is in great condition and the price was right and the only option that matters (at least to me) was the wedge.

I dont wakeboard and just started surfing this season. Finally managed to drop the rope with decent amount of pocket to play around recently. I had the 750lbs bag surf side full, mid tank full, 250lbs bag on the bow and about 550lbs on the surf side seat. Water is not at the rub rail so at least i know it is putting out decent wake without sinking the boat much further

Do you think I am missing out on making the wake even better by not having the wedge? Is it worth to track down a full setup (plate and wedge) and spend $$ (hardware plus install)

Thanks in advance for any insight. This is a great board with a lot of knowledge.

We have a VTX, mostly ski, surf when we are all to tired to ski and rarely wakeboard. The only time our power wedfe is in the water is when I am trying to get the bilge pump to do a descent job of cleaning out the bilge. I like the surf wave better without the wedge, until you decide to get serious about wakeboarding you probably are not missing out on much by not having a wedge.

A matter of preference. I have had a wedge on my 01 SS VLX, my 06 WS VLX, and on my current 11 VTX. I really needed to use the wedge to get a decent wake for boarding with the SS VLX, but not so with the VLX or VTX. I prefer the shape without the wedge, but others, including my daughter, prefer the shape with the wedge. The wake takes on a harder top edge and is a bit steeper with the wedge. It is a bit more of a mellow transition without the wedge. Again, a matter of preference.

We have the diamond version of your hull. On ours the wedge is a 100% must have. I hate the wake shape without it when boarding. For surfing the wake is a little cleaner without it but lacks push.

• 7 months later...

I too also prefer no wedge for almost everything.

If you are having trouble getting wake to wake, it will almost make it harder because it causes you to get more vertical boot, so in my case i needed even more power to get to the other side.

The wedge only really adds some more lip and a few inches of more size, so it's more of a wake shaping tool than used to make the wake bigger based on my experience from riding other boats with our wedges. I'm not sure what it would do for your surf wake. I'm sure theres some videos on youtube that you could watch and see the difference. Our boat does not have the wedge and we don't really want one. You have a great hull to be able to do any watersport decently well with the advantage going to wakeboarding.

I asked the local dealer about installing one and it is very expensive. They said they would have to pull the engine to install the wedge mounting bracket. If you have the wedge mount, feel free to slap one on there. I think I was quoted around 1k to have the bracket installed.

I definitely think the wedge made a big difference surfing on our '12 VLX. For awhile the wedge fuse was out and we couldn't use it, everyone noticed and didn't like the wave as much.

I am guessing like $2k+ to get one installed? If its not that much its probably worth it. Otherwise I'd explore more what you can do with ballast since it doesn't sound like you are there yet. I would suggest getting lead too, its killer.

I never liked how the wedge made the boat drive. When I bought the boat, I pulled it off & it's in the garage till the day I sell the boat.

We do a few shows & exhibitions every year. Now days the dealer always wants to bring their own boats to show off. And we don't bother with the wedge on the new boats either.

Bill you can sell me your wedge, I need one :(! I have the bracket just no wedge. I was thinking of getting those schematic's off of here and seeing much it would cost to get it machined and fabricated. But, I think before I get to that I will need to change my prop.