Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

Trailer is a Dorsey, make good trailers. It looks like the boat isn't all the way forward, it should rest against the uprights.

If you end up buying this boat, yes the trailer is a Dorsey, but you don't want to bring the boat all the way to the uprights. You can't get a cover on it if it's all the way to the uprights. I have a Dorsey trailer similar to this, but I don't have the removable tounge. I never pull upto the uprights. The front of the trailer has a "V" rest for the bow just about where the bow curves back. Stops the boat right there when loading unless you put the trailer waaaaay into the water. Based on the pictures it looks like the Nashville boat came from my area since it has Waterski America on the trailer guides.

The guys says he'll knock 500 bucks off and that's it. Does that sound fair?

If it checks out buy it and don't look back. I think you'll be very hard pressed to find another boat with those options and in such good condition at that price!

As far as how to get it, can you say road trip? It will add to the excitement of your new awesome boat. I know mine did.

Good luck with the buy Levi. If you do road trip it make sure you check the trailer indepth so you don't end up with the wrong kind of excitement. Did an Ironman trip when I brought mine up from Lubbock, TX to north of Nashville with out incident, but man what a long 2 days!

The best tires to buy horse has been beat to death :horse: , but the 5 years on a set of tires (regardless of what they look like) then replace them seems to be a very good advice. I didn't see a spare with it either. I see the sapre now

Edited by wdr

That '01 looks nice, but I wouldn't call it the deal of the century or anything. I'm not liking that trailer at all - weird setup on the front and these boats are a bit too big for a single axle IMO. Don't forget you will need to budget for ballast and Perfect Pass. Those tower cans look pretty cheap, how is the rest of the stereo in that boat? I know the seller for our boat thought the system was great, but it was honestly a royal POS; I knew that going in and understood it would all be replaced.

That '01 looks nice, but I wouldn't call it the deal of the century or anything. I'm not liking that trailer at all - weird setup on the front and these boats are a bit too big for a single axle IMO. Don't forget you will need to budget for ballast and Perfect Pass. Those tower cans look pretty cheap, how is the rest of the stereo in that boat? I know the seller for our boat thought the system was great, but it was honestly a royal POS; I knew that going in and understood it would all be replaced.

Boat has ballast.

I already have the V drive Sacs I'll just plumb them in. I literally don't have a stereo, so anything is a massive upgrade. As far as the perfect pass, that is the only accessory that I'd be adding soon. I talked to Peter at Smooth Water Sports today and he doesn't know of anything like this local. Looks like I may be headed to TN soon.

Anyone local to the area that would be willing to go over to TNT and take a peak at this baby for me?

I am going to talk to the guys at TNT today. They are supposed to be taking a ton of pictures, close ups of everything and sending them to me. I also have a call in to Peter at Smooth Water Sports to see if he has a line on anything more local. If he doesn't and this thing checks out I may be in for a LONG weekend soon...

After talking to the owner it seems pretty legit. He said the rear seat covers were replaced 2 years ago becuase the seams were starting to pull apart. The way he talks anytime there has been even a small issue it goes back to TNT for repair.

That trailer does look weird...

If your in the market for a v drive and want a flagship wakeboard boat on a budget in my opinion it doesn't get much better than this. It's a bit of a drive, but the boat appears to be in excellent condition. It's the end of the season but I'd jump on this soon or it will sell. I'm surprised he was willing to knock 500 off to be honest, it's an original owner, appears to be in excellent condition, and has low hours.. doesn't get any better.

With that being said I do agree a single axle is a bit small, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. How far do you plan on towing the boat during the season or will it be stored on the water?

Also the tearing at the seams on the back seat is normal, the '02 VLX we just picked up was in excellent condition (152 hours) but the corner seats had to be re stitched. The seams pull apart when people step in and out of the boat. I read a thread on these forums about putting down a thick pad on the seat to help distribute the weight.

Good luck.

Edit - Just noticed a bimini top and cover are included. We just ordered an OEM cover and top for our boat and I can tell you it wasn't cheap. If you have the finances, seriously arrange a trip to pick the boat up this weekend. Again just my opinion but we searched for the right boat this entire season and finally found one that was reasonably close and cared for.

Edited by petefranc

I thought of the trailer too, but Levi has his own lift on the lake. Probably very little trailer time. Heck - buy an extra spare so you have 2, and store an extra hub assembly, just in case. Still a good deal.

Yeah, I will be keeping it on a covered lift. If I have to upgrade lift's I may have to run it off a mooring for a year.

Guys, I need a gut check on this one. Am I stupid to take out a loan for this thing and pay it off in the spring when I can sell the skier? I don't have any other vehicle payments right now so I can easily afford the payment but I just don't know if I am making a stupid choice... Seems like this thing is a really good deal and its the exact boat I've been looking for. I don't know if I should stick my neck out a little to get it or if I should wait till spring and sell my boat, then try and find something.

Another thought, how does a boat like this handle a little chop. One selling point for my boat upgrade to my wife is that we are going to be able to use this one more like a family boat, take it out when its not quite glass. My Skier as I'm sure you all know, is HORRIBLE in any type of chop. I live on a small bay on Lake Champlain but I'd love to be able to take this thing out when the water is less than perfect. My wife grew up on a 21' Four Winns I/O and I am curious how the ride is going to compare to that.

These are flat water boats, Levi. If it gets rough, it will be slow going. We got caught out in ours at a local lake that's notorious for rough water one time, and heading back into the wind I could do about 12 and still felt like I needed a kidney belt. It's not going to feel like a cobalt.

That is going to be true of any malibu in your pricepoint. I think you'd need to look at a centurion or a tige (gasp!) with a deep v hull if you want to stay in the low 20s and have a truly better rough water ride (and you'd certainly be giving up fit and finish going that direction).

That said, at least compared to your skier, you will be gaining some freeboard. The sv23 is still pretty low freeboard by modern wakeboat (g23 anyone?) standards though.

Levi,

You are going to like the ride so much more than your skier. When we are our in mediem chop about 25-30mph the ride is not anything your family is going to complain about. But as Shawn stated in really tuff condition it can be a little rough, It is know I/O. I think once you make the plunge you will wish you had made the jump years ago. Good Luck

CB

My honest approach if I were you would be to buy it, as long as you can pay that note off next spring. I really would not want to buy a boat in the spring, it would drive me freaking crazy. Warm weather would set in, and instead of spending time on the water I'd be combing the ads looking for the perfect boat, afraid of missing the right one and pretty quickly afraid of missing out on water time. I'd be nervous to use my current boat cuz I need every dime I can get out of it and don't want something to break. I would not be a fun person to live with.

Our family typically buys the deal we come across first, then sells the paid for assets to cover it. The whole thing feels better (to me) that way too. I'm ready to unload the old one (car/boat/snowmobile) when the new one is right in front of me. Assume worst case on what you will get for the Skier (not because it's bad, but to budget conservatively).

Guys, I need a gut check on this one. Am I stupid to take out a loan for this thing and pay it off in the spring when I can sell the skier? I don't have any other vehicle payments right now so I can easily afford the payment but I just don't know if I am making a stupid choice... Seems like this thing is a really good deal and its the exact boat I've been looking for. I don't know if I should stick my neck out a little to get it or if I should wait till spring and sell my boat, then try and find something.

I'll first start by saying I am not a fan of financing toys, only necessity. However, as long as you are being completely honest with yourself and this would in no way, shape, or form put you in any type of tight financial spot, then I say go for it.

I know exactly how you feel as I was in the exact same position a few summers ago (oddly enough with the exact same F3 Skier that I needed to sell first). I found the boat of my dreams a few states away and needed to sell mine before I could move on it. I decided I would rather take out a small loan for a short period to afford me the time to get my ducks in a row and still not miss out on the boat of my dreams. All worked out as I was able to sell my boat in a week and didn't need to take out the loan, but I was prepared to.

So if your story sounds anything like mine then I support your decision to take out a short term loan.

Yeah, It wouldn't really affect me on a monthly basis, its more of a principal thing. Like you, I don't really like having a loan on a toy. I don't even have loans on my other vehicles... I would plan on paying it off next year once the Skier sells.

Rather do that and have the winter to get the new boat ready. Like MB said, no lost water time that way and less stress in the spring with only a boat to sell, not one to sell and another to find.

Don't give up on the fall sale of the Skier until the ice comes--just stick to your price. We bought ours the day after Thanksgiving four years ago and had to find a river because the lakes were frozen by the shores. Still pushed some ice away from the ramp for the test drive and it worked out great for us.