Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash/Steering Wheel Vibration When Powering Up

2008 21' WS VLX 340 Monsoon. When I hit the throttle to pull up a boarder/skier, my dash and steering wheel vibrate. It does not do this when I power up smoothly. Also, and I may remember this wrong or it's just a coincidence, but I think I remember the vibration is more substantial the choppier the water. Anyone else experience/know about this?

Our 08 VTX did the same thing when we bought it used. Prop looked really good....one very small ding that you could hardly see. An unfortunate incident with a submerged log last fall forced a prop replacement (along with a long list of other items). It has been smooth as silk since then. I would look for some sign of prop damage, it will likely look very minor but on our boat that's all it took.

Thanks Jimmypooh. The link described exactly what I've been feeling recently. Weird thought that I've had the boat three years now and never felt it until about a month ago. I'll double check this weekend to make sure the prop doesn't have any damage.

Edited by MaddMaxx

Thanks Jimmypooh. The link described exactly what I've been feeling recently. Weird thought that I've had the boat three years now and never felt it until about a month ago. I'll double check this weekend to make sure the prop doesn't have any damage.

Does it happen when the boat is not weighted heavily? Does it happen at all speeds or just when getting up on plane? Is there ever a vibration in the boat but it doesn't feel like the steering is vibrating, just a general vibration? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then it's almost positively your prop.

Likely since you just started feeling it, something changed. Hence the thought it's a ding.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I checked the prop and there are no dings/dents anywhere. I asked my wife about when she experiences the vibration and she said same thing as me - it happens only at powering up from a dead stop pulling a skiier/wakeboarder. Then she added it happens when she has the steering wheel/rudder turned. That could be my problem also. It does not vibrate every single time, so it must be operator error.