Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weekend surf wave comparison !

surfdude

So my buddy bought the much hyped tige z3. I talked him into getting the wake makers 1400 lb custom bag for it. We surfed both back to back for several days. My boat is an 11 lsv. Both boats have the 6 liter motors, and acme 1235 props. Both boats were weighted close to the same. Hands down everybody liked the Malibu boat's wave better ! Why does the the wake surfing community always snub their nose at malibu? On the lighter side, I get to demo a surf gate lsv this week! They told me I could bring a few fat sacs along. I will give my thoughts on this later this week.

So my buddy bought the much hyped tige z3. I talked him into getting the wake makers 1400 lb custom bag for it. We surfed both back to back for several days. My boat is an 11 lsv. Both boats have the 6 liter motors, and acme 1235 props. Both boats were weighted close to the same. Hands down everybody liked the Malibu boat's wave better ! Why does the the wake surfing community always snub their nose at malibu? On the lighter side, I get to demo a surf gate lsv this week! They told me I could bring a few fat sacs along. I will give my thoughts on this later this week.

I've wondered the same thing actually. They seem to be all big on tiges and centurions for some reason. One forum went as far to post misinformation about surfgate saying it took 45 mins to switch when it doesn't even take 45 secs. Not sure why this is.

Probably just sponsorship and hype? Centurion seems to be marketed around wakesurfing. Looks like they even sponsor some board manufacturers (watched videos phase 5 and inland surfer and they all ride behind centurion.

x2 on the sponsorship hype and what i call ownership hype. Folks (individuals) have a ton of their money invested in their boats....and dont like to learn/accept/realize they could have spent their money better for whatever it is they are trying to do. your average alpha wakeboat owner male wants to think they make smart decisions and they really know what they are talking about. Hence the mindless promotion of a brand even when another brand has them beat. And I am pretty sure everyone on here knows that I of all folks am not a Malibu snob. I will call a spade a spade. But I am fairly certain Malibu produces a superior surfwake pound for pound even without the surfgate. Another thing to ack here, is how Malibu is bigtime late marketing and getting into the surf game. Completely underestimated how big it would get. Centurion jumped all over what Malibu SHOULD have been doing the last 5 yrs and is now playing catchup with surfgate. THATs why you see these other brands deeply imbedded in everything as the standard for surf.

I had a girl who surfed behind the Centurion Pro Tour Enzos in a competition in July, and a couple weeks later had her behind my boat surfing. Hands down undisputed she reiterated malibu surfwake was much cleaner, bigger, faster and higher quality wave.

Edited by nyryan2001

I rode the hell out of a LSV with the surfgate system on it this past weekend. I was able to transfer from one side to the other and then back without a rope (while signaling the driver when to change the gates). Freaking unreal.

There is no A24. I'd love to have an LSV with the surfgate for next year. I just have to wait and see what my options are. To be blunt, a surfgate equipped boat would suit my family best, as my wife and kids surf and don't really like to wb so much. If Axis had the surfgate, I don't think it would even be a question.

My dealer thinks there is going to be one, but you prolly know more about what's going on than he does. Rode a lsv with surf gate tonight! Completely different than my wave. Had 2 1100's in it and a 750 in the bow, for some reason they did'nt order it with bow ballast. The wave was really big, but not at all steep. Really flat transition, super long,plenty of push. Takes a different rideing style than my wave. My buddy that rides a skim loved it. Kind of had a weird groove at the top of the lip, but we didn't have much time to dial it in. Sure made that 6 liter motor work, maybe we did'nt need that much weight.

Centurions, Tige's have deeper V, more dead rise. From what I can tell that is their claim to fame for a better surf wave.

Not just deeper, but an all -on deep V on the Enzo. Just an observation from driving by one that was sitting up on a lift.

Kind of had a weird groove at the top of the lip, but we didn't have much time to dial it in.

I commented on this in my review. The groove comes from the stowed Surf Gate on the surfer's side. I'm hoping plenty of weight will bury it, but it sounds like you guys were pushing quite a bit and about as evenly balanced as I'm thinking for ours. I will just have probably 300 more pounds under the side seats on each side and maybe a bit less than 1100 in the back.

You don't have any video, do you?

Tyger 1100 maybe too much for the rear lockers,

The boat had a lot of bow rise even with the 750 in the bow.

The motor seemed to be working pretty hard 3250 rpm vs

2950 on my boat . Would like to play with the boat a little

More, but their demo is a silver edition, and I doubt they want to

Put many hrs on it,

When we rode a 23LSV surfgate on Saturday, we had full mls, two 750's in the lockers and a 400 in front. Wedge all the way down, riding at 10.4, stock 350 with high altitude prop. Decent wave, would be better with more time to tweek and play around with speed and weight. Motor did fine with all the weight IMO, didnt struggle one bit. Goofy wave was just as big as our listed 2011 23LSV. Regular side did have the little drag from the surfgate on the lip. Dont know if they might try to fix that in future versions. Wave on both sides did benefit from moving people around in the boat. The ability to switch sides that quick is so ridonkulus. With the amount we surf and the fact that we are split down the middle with goofy/regular surfers would save us so much time during the summer. Plug and play was nice too, not having to throw over pumps for the rear lockers. The Bluetooth looks like it will be pretty freaking sweet as well. Also liked the redesigned corner seats and the hinged cooler seat was a plus. We were with sawyer davis (his boat) and he was ripping it up on the surfgate wave. 360's, 720's, shuv-its, 360 shuv's, w2w transfers. His first weekend with the boat, only had 4.4 hours on it. He makes it look way too easy.

• Like 1

So even if you have the surfgate you will still need extra ballast? I ride goofy and am the only one in my crew that rides goofy. I get tired of switching the ballast around. With the surfgate can you load the ballast and then switch from side to side?