Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchor Storage?

eubanks

We have an anchor very simiar to this: Anchor.

Right now we just have it and the anchor line wrapped up under the passenger side storage. I want to keep it "neater" in there and put all of it into something. What do you guys keep your anchors in? I was thinking I could find a cheap backpack or something somewhere. Suggestions would be very helpful!

We have an anchor very simiar to this: Anchor.

Right now we just have it and the anchor line wrapped up under the passenger side storage. I want to keep it "neater" in there and put all of it into something. What do you guys keep your anchors in? I was thinking I could find a cheap backpack or something somewhere. Suggestions would be very helpful!

Right behind the cooler on the starboard side. We also put our fenders and dock lines there.

I keep all of my lines wrapped up in cheapo extension cord winders like this one. It will always unwrap correctly the first time.

I have the same exact anchor that you linked and it fits easily under the bow cushion on the driver's side. I figure, you're gonna be in the bow when you're throwing the anchor so, might as well keep it there.

If storage is an issue, consider a Fortress anchor- they're light (all aluminium), break down into an easily stowable bag, and don't take up much space at all. Holding power is as good as any comparable size fluke-style anchor.

They're not cheap, and you have to assemble them before use (5 min.)- although no reason you couldn't set it up & leave it that way. I've had great results with mine in all kinds of conditions.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...001/381/11206/5

I'll third the box anchor. I have the medium size found here. Not only does it store flat, as mentioned it comes with a neat-o bag so you don't ruin the carpet / seats. WELL worth the money.

I keep my anchor under the pass. seat on a piece of rubber roofing material. The rope is on a spool, so it's always neat and not taking up much space. I never really use it since I have a seperate shore line I tie up to when not useing the boat. I also keep that on a spool too.

Thanks for the ideas. The box anchor looks nice, but I hate to buy a new anchor when we already have one. There are too many other toys to spend cash on!

We have the bow tank so there is no storage up front. I guess I'll continue to look for some kind of bag to put it all in to keep it out of the way and keep the carpet and storage areas from getting torn up.

Get you one of those nylon cleaners bags. You know the ones that you stuff full of dirty clothes and drop off at the dry cleaners. I use them for the anchor and have one full of those Mae West USCG approved life vest.

eubanks,

What do you think of the anchor that you have? Does it do the job? Which size do you have?

I'm not sure which size it is to tell you the truth. West Marine has those 11 pounders listed on their site. I think that may be it or ours might be just a bit bigger...sorry but it's out at the storage.

It seems to work alright. I haven't bought a chain for it yet, so we've had to use longer lines or else we've had trouble getting it to hold. We have used this kind of anchor for a long time though with our previous boats and it has always worked well for the sandy/muddy bottoms of our local lakes.

I have the same kind of slip anchor, but don't use it that often at all. (couple times a year)

I just got a heavy duty gym bag at an outdoor store and I keep it in the starboard rear compartment.

I've got the same kind as eubanks - but with a chain. I've not been happy.

I'm going to buy a LARGE houseboat anchor this year, for our trip to Trinity. I had to find a large rock - 50+ pounds - and tie a rope off of that and then toss it into the drink, becuase the anchor wouldn't hold in the wind. I tried resetting it 5 different times. Ultimately it gave way. And with other boats around, it wasn't worth the risk.

With these big / heavy boats I find it hard to believe the box anchor would hold. Would love to try one for a week at Trinity or Powell. Two totally different bottoms.

I had the same type (if not identical) anchor as Eubanks when I had my 'bu. The key to getting an anchor to hold is the proper scope. It needs to be *at least* 3:1, and that's in perfect conditions. This means that if you are in 10' of water, you need 30 feet of anchor line out. Also, a 5-10' lead chain works wonders. If it's windy I'd recommend a scope of 8:1. BTW - I stored the anchor, chain and 100' of anchor line in the starboard-side bow cushion/storage area. It was cushioned with a towel, which I always used to wipe up the "anchor drippings."

I have a box anchor and it will slide on me. I have to put a rock in the center of it keep from sliding in strong winds. I now have a fork anchor with about 20 of chain and it is rock solid. But the box is perfect for day anchoring.

I keep my fork anchor and chain in a heavy canvas bag.

Air Buddha,

Do you know what size your anchor is? I definitely agree with your comments on the scope & chain. I've been doing it that way for several years now & it works well. My main reason for asking is that my river anchor (similar to a mushroom anchor but with petals cut out) is really torn up & between that & a want for something that will fold up better I'm thinking of replacing it this year.

Romi,

What exactly is a "fork" anchor?

WakeGirl - I don't remember the weight/size of the anchor, it went with the boat when I sold it. However it was just small enough to fit (if turned at an angle) into the bow cushion storage area (starboard side). When that anchor set in mud/clay, it SET. A few times I had to drive over it (pull from the opposite side).