Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

325 monsoon puzzling problem

I have purchased a 2002 Sunscape LSV (with 200hrs) conditional on the water test. Last year the previous own had some surging issues and replaced the fuel pump and fuel line. The problem resurfaced this year and marina has replaced the pump, filter, fuel line, and new plugs. Intially the engine ran fine at the dealership. Now with just a 2 hours after the changes - I initially noticed that I had lost top end. Instead of hiting 47mph and ~4900 rpm - was at about 45 and 4700. From then until about 2 hours later I am now at a much worse situation. The engine is is extremely rough at about 1500-2500 (you would think I have a bent prop shaft). The engine does smooth out past 3000 but feels sluggish getting there, and as the hour meter continues I continue to lose more and more top end. At the 2hr mark I now can't even hit 40mph or 4000rpm. I am ready to call it quits - as they have tried for a week to fix it - but I do know that on Friday morning they managed to get it to run fine.

I hate to give up on the boat if I am ust one last quick fix away from resolution.

Any ideas? Please help - I want to become a Malibu owner!

Have they checked fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester/gauge? There have been a few recent threads on it, including mine. I had to replace my fuel pressure regulator ($50 part), that one might need to have sensors checked too! A multi meter can check the MAP sensor, TPS, and IAC sensors.

I predict clogged fuel injectors. You can still have good fuel pressure and get similar simptoms. I would inspect distributer cap ,verify verify fuel pressure, then lift the fuel rail on the stbd.(drivers )side of the boat. look into the top of the injectors. unless you can see screen at the bottom of the orifice there is a partial clog. I've seen several similar vintage, low hour of usage engines have similar problems. If the injectors are clogged, remove them and spray them out with carb cleaner with a tube on the spray nozzle while holding the injector sideways.

Thanks for the responses I will pass them on to my mechanic who is now looking into it (vs the dealer). The one thing I don't understand is that the bad vibration/roughness at lower rpm's diminishes (never disappears) at higher RPM? I am hoping that the continuing reduction in top end with time provides some hint as well.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I certainly will post the outcome (assuming we get there!).

Well - after having my mechanic look at it and talk to the dealer about what they have done - we decided to pass on the boat. 3 attempts by the dealer to get it working, 3 water test and all failed. There may be a fix out there - but there are too many warning signs to not continue with the purchase. Still now looking for a 2002-2004 Sunscape lsv.....