Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How's your holiday weekend water?

shawndoggy

There are a few people on this forum that just live right, Shawndoggy, FMan, and Pennery to point out three obvious contenders.

Ha, y'all would cringe at how many towing miles I put on a year. This is our closest lake and it's alkaline and still an hour each way. T'ain't easy in the desert!

My son is shredding on the surfboard tho....

201150_4105106938989_802279060_o.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

That is a beautiful lake, nice shot of your son surfing.... we are heading out this Thurs to Lake Tulloch for 4 nights, I have never stayed there before... a first for us, owner of the house we are renting says September is incredible.... hoping it will be empty after the holiday weekend and everyone back in school. Nice thing about being in the Desert is it looks like nobody is around, you would have wallys all over the place in Nor-Cal this weekend....

I'm going to shoot a video of the ramp at pyramid tomorrow. The 500 yards around the ramp is seriously wally nirvana. Today as we are pulling in there were four jet skis and a jet boat all doing donuts around a kayak. Right in front of the sheriff's boat. There's no "no wake" zone, apparently because the pyramid paiute tribe doesn't believe in them? But get 10 minutes from the ramp and it's deserted. The lake is 95% as big as tahoe (natural terminus for lake tahoe) and today there were no more than 80 boats on the whole lake.

Actually what comes in under a wally? This is more cletus territory than wally. I always imagine wally as being clueless, but at least having all his teeth. Cletus is definitely missing a few.

Glass from 7:30-10:00am. After that, it's gets crowded. Couldn't give any details because I'm long gone after that - no interest in dealing with the Bubbas (southern version of the Wally)

Very nice, Sat only one boat on the lake and had a little rain as we boarded ... yesterday was sunnier and only had 2 fishing boats and a couple of pontoons. Today should be near 90, humid, calm winds. I'll probably take the canopy off the lift and take the deepest section of dock out.

Took Friday off. Glassy morning with no traffic. Saturday....went to a friends place and we put in at a lake that has a course in at all times...tore it up until about 10:00 when the tubers came out. Yesterday.....light breeze, still killer water, free skied until 10:00. It was very nice. Not likely to get out this morning however. Headed to Cabela's with hopes of posting some goods in the "post your recent purchase" thread!

That is a beautiful lake, nice shot of your son surfing.... we are heading out this Thurs to Lake Tulloch for 4 nights, I have never stayed there before... a first for us, owner of the house we are renting says September is incredible.... hoping it will be empty after the holiday weekend and everyone back in school. Nice thing about being in the Desert is it looks like nobody is around, you would have wallys all over the place in Nor-Cal this weekend....

We have a house on Tulloch!! The week days should be great as there is no one on the lake at all....weekends are a different story. Where are you staying, Poker Flat, Calypso??

Too bad we are not going to be there, we'd iinvite ya over for a drink.

Below the sandbar it is wallyville above the sandbar (river section) too narrow for most tubbers. Mostly just boarders and skiers, does get croweded though.

We had a very sparse collection of boats on our lake Sat. I think the shallow water is keeping people off. We know the lake well, bu there is always a chance of getting into shallow water your aware of. We had glass all evening and were just finishing up slalom sets. In the middle of the lake there is a very shallow place. The shoal itself is about 300 yards long. They have a buoy marking the left edge of it, but anywhere 300 yards to the right of it is way too shallow for me to make it through safely.

I'm standing on the teak deck pulling in the slalom rope and a 26ish foot cabin cruiser comes cruising by and is headed right at the buoy. It is disk and ski hours have just ended. I am waving my arms, jumping up and down, doing anything I can to get his attention. He doesn't see me. About 100 yards from the buoy he sees it and makes an abrupt right turn right into the shallowest part of the shoal. We here the horrendous bang.....bang....bang..bang..bang and the no engine at all. You can tell the boat is up on it' outdrive as it is heavily listing to one side and you can see the scum that was once below the water line now exposed on the high side.

I hop into the drivers seat and we idle over to where the edge of the shoal is. I spun the Bu around and put the teak deck in 2.5 feet of water and hop out. into the thigh deep water and walk over to help them. Once they trimmed the outdrive up they were just floating so I walked back over to our boat with a tow line and tied them off the my rear d-ring. I slowly idled them back out to deeper water. They asked me if I wanted money for the tow and I told them to pay it forward and have a nice rest of their night.

On the way back to the dock they did get the boat back up on plane. Not sure how much vibration though. Hopefully it wasn't too bad but boy did it make a nasty sound when they hit!

post-7666-0-56850500-1346680900_thumb.jp

Overall great weekend so far! BBQ and firepit with family Friday night (daughter and niece had their first smores). Saturday I was on the water about 8:30 and off by 10:45. When I got there I was the only one in the parking lot and the river was glass. Boarded and surfed, had a blast, but the water is geting chilly!

Devil's Lake, MI is about 20" low right now and is shallow to start. We pulled the boat in late July because it wouldn't go on the lift anymore. It has been windy all weekend so no skiing. It is sunny today though so it will be a good pontoon day.

We have had good water in the mornings. All but Sunday, Sunday was windy so just enjoyed nice breakfast and waited for the zoo to start! Sitting on the porch now just enjoying the zoo. Just had a boat go by pulling a wake board I would say at 30 32 mph over the wakes,the poor kid was hanging on for life! The good thing is people are pulling boats for the year! ;) Soon we will have glass most of the time. :woot: