Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine dies randomly while in motion, restarts fine...

imoveteeth

I seem to be having some sort of engine / ignition trouble with my 2011 Wakesetter LSV.

About a month ago we were surfing and the engine just died. I couldn't restart it with the MTC until I rebooted it.

Then again today, we were coming back across the lake and the boat just died again - same thing, had to reset the MTC. It did it again about 5 minutes later. Boat seems to run fine and starts up fine after I reboot the system.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

We had a similar issue. Our dealer sent us a 5 lobe MUX box when we had 3 lobe rams in our wedge. So having the wrong computer in it was causing the ECU to screw up and engine was stalling.

Post #9 in this thread.

Teeth- does your Malivue and MTC stay on and working during the shutdown.... or do they reboot on their own?

And then you say you gotta reboot.... is that because when you hit the BLUE(ready to start pin already entered) engine icon is doesnt do anything? Freezes?

Malivue and MTC stay on the entire time. Engine start button just becomes non functional. Have to hit the power button, restart, and re-enter pin to start again. Kill switch is fine.

I spoke with the service manager at my dealer and he said they will likely replace the MTC controller. He said there are some other fuses / relays in the engine compartment that can wiggle loose and cause a problem also.

Guys at No Wake are very good and seem very responsive to my problem...

• 7 months later...

Curious if you found any resolution to this problem. My 2012 LSV had a similar problem on my season starting test ride last weekend. After very short drive and not very rough water my engine died and all computers reset. It was like a short but complete power off/on. After putting in code, boat restarted fine and ran with no problem back to dock. I checked battery connections which were fine and both batteries were on at that the time and had been recently charged just prior to launching.

Next day, I took a longer ride. As i returned and got closer to the dock, I noticed my MTC seemed to have reset. i.e. the enter code command was showing while the boat was still running. I was able to enter the code and regain control all while the engine was still running.

I called my dealer, they suggested checking connections at the main power breaker, perko switch, and breaker panel. Any other suggestions? Maybe other main connections that could be loose and cause power glitch? My dealer will happily help but intermittent issues are a nightmare and taking the boat in for service is a hassle for me.

It was like a short but complete power off/on.

I had this problem before.

It turned out to be the canon plug. I unhooked and very gently, and very slightly pried the male connectors in one direction or another and reconnected. Never had the problem again.

The canon plug is the main elctrical connector between your engine and boats main wieing harness, located near the engine.