Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To cover, or not to cover?

wakesetter8796

We are going to DHL for the weekend on a houseboat and are taking the bu. we might get rain on the way, should we leave the cover off? It's the factory cs cover.

I believe there was a thread on this and there was no real consensus. Some do and some don't. Some folks had minor scratches on their gel coat from the cover when travelling at hwy speed unless you have a fancy custom made travel cover (I think it's an evolution cover?) but I also read in a thread that one guy had minor scratches developed even from that cover.

Personally, if I'm traveling on the hwy more than 1hr, I would put the cover on.

I have read a lot about and some say if you tow with the cover then stretch wrap the boat where the cover touches the gel coat to help prevent scratches. if I ever tow with a cover this is also what I would do

Ken

• Like 1

I believe there was a thread on this and there was no real consensus. Some do and some don't. Some folks had minor scratches on their gel coat from the cover when travelling at hwy speed unless you have a fancy custom made travel cover (I think it's an evolution cover?) but I also read in a thread that one guy had minor scratches developed even from that cover.

Personally, if I'm traveling on the hwy more than 1hr, I would put the cover on.

Black gel, evolution cover, zero scratches. Still have scratches on the hull from the old 'towing' cover though :(

Don't Tow with that cover... Even Shrink wrapped. I would let it snow in the boat before I tow with a CS Cover again and I Speak from Experience...

I just don't understand this. I towed my VLX to hell and gone with a commercial sewing cover and never had a blemish.

Every mile on the trailer is a mild the cover on. I have had two boats in four years, over 12,000 miles of towing with no scratches. One boat with a Great Lakes cover the second is an evolution.

On our way!!!! Decided not to cover, had a bit of rain, but it's sunny now.

A few months ago I was faced with that decision, 7 HR drive with the threat of Rain, I left it off, made sure to protect any thing that some water might get to, And it pored, so much water as I was going down the hwy the auto bilge went off...But once we got there dried it out, No damage and For sure no scratches, I never tow with a cove, ( Black)

I don't like towing with the cover, and just did a 5 hour tow with no cover. We went through rain but unless it's pouring nothing gets wet unless you're stopped. The darker colours are more prone to seeing the scratches. Put that white plastic removable tape around just below the rub rail and put the cover on, voila, no scratches. :rockon:

I guess I need to post the pics again. Then I guess folks will say I didn't have it on properly. Then I'll have to remind everytone it was tight and I was worried about it prior, anal in putting it on properly, and had it on tight and the dealer double checked everything and still scratched the hell out of the boat.

might be late on this.. i towed earlier this month 1200 miles with factory cover. I used Uhaul seran wrap over the rub rail and also a small ratchet strap on each side of the cover where the clips are near the tower to pull it down against the trailer so it wouldnt flap up. No problems at all going highway speeds.

might be late on this.. i towed earlier this month 1200 miles with factory cover. I used Uhaul seran wrap over the rub rail and also a small ratchet strap on each side of the cover where the clips are near the tower to pull it down against the trailer so it wouldnt flap up. No problems at all going highway speeds.

Why cover it at all??....are you trailiering during a blizzard where yuo'll get 3 feet of snow in the boat??

Well, just did my first 4hr tow without the cover. Sunny late summer day and the boat is still clean so I'm a believer on towing without a cover now.

Unless you are going through some heavy rain and concern about the spray from other vehicles, leave the cover off

This is one of those threads that pops up about every other month. Obviously there are covers that are not good to tow with, and others that work fine. I always throw the (Evolution) cover on if it is more than a local trip. I just don't want dust, dirt, bugs, bird crap, stuff directly hitting the windshield or gelcoat or getting on the vinyl/ carpet

etc. so I put the cover on. Plus, it can rain alot between the west side (wet) and the east side (dry) of the mountains and between dirt and rain the road spray can be pretty nasty. Better to be covered for me.

Edited by MalibuTime