Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VTX WITH SURFGATE QUESTIONS

08154XP

I just sold my 2010 VTX and am looking at getting a new 2013 VTX with surfgate but cant seem to find any videos or anything on the VTX already out there. Does anyone have any pictures or vids of a diamond cut VTX with the surf gate deployed or at least have some feedback on how they surf?

I haven't been able to find a single dealer online who has a 2013 VTX yet. Lots of 2013 VLX, MXZ, LSV, but no 2013 VTX's yet. They seem to be delayed relative to the other boat models this year.

If you watch the marketing video for the 2013 VTX carefully, you will notice that the surf gate portion of the video is showing the surfwave from a different boat--not the blue VTX that you see in the rest of the video. They cheated a little in the marketing department. So, I can't find anything out there showing surf gate on a VTX.

Edited by Cory

Ya my dealer has sent me video of their VLX and is trying to get me just to buy a VLX but I dont really need the extra space and still love to ski once in a while so might have to wait till next summer to demo a new VTX

Definately have to say the factory vlx ballast looks significantly better to surf on, longer pocket for sure. I had my 10 vtx set up really good for surfing but that is with some weight and lean so really early and hard to tell how the surf gate will work on the smaller lighter boat.

Thanks for the vid that helps for sure.

It's a bit mis-loaded for those critquing the wake, but we didn't take the time to perfect it for the 20 minutes we had.

Peter

Peter for reference, wedge position, prop size, ballast and speed (if you can remember)?

Edited by nedshred2000

I'm guessing as I wasn't driving.

Initially it was factory ballast and maybe 1/2-2/3 wedge, but then we filled up the plug 'n play ballast in the rear lockers, which I'm guessing were 550's - and those were too much. Even with less wedge it needed more bow ballast to get the good shape and top curl back. (We didn't have a secondary bow bag nor did we drain off the rear bags during the video) I believe the VTX can improperly ballasted easier than the larger models.

Hope that helps,

Peter