Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat LIFT Capacity

Levi900RR

Hey everyone, I am finishing the details on my boat upgrade plan. Currently I have a Shorestation boat lift that is rated for #3000 lbs. I originally thought it was a 36-108A but after I ordered some parts incorrectly I was told it is a 26-108A which was then re-released as a 3000 pound lift. I was thinking about expanding my new boat search to include 00-02 LSV's. The VLX which I was sold on is listed at 2900lbs, which I wouldn't worry about putting on my lift. The LSV is listed at 3400.

Questions are, would you worry about putting a 3400 boat on a 3000 pound lift? second one is, can I "upgrade" my current lift with some beefier cables or something?

I really don't want to have to change out my lift.

EDIT! Title of this should be Boat LIFT Capacity.

Edited by Levi900RR

Hey everyone, I am finishing the details on my boat upgrade plan. Currently I have a Shorestation boat lift that is rated for #3000 lbs. I originally thought it was a 36-108A but after I ordered some parts incorrectly I was told it is a 26-108A which was then re-released as a 3000 pound lift. I was thinking about expanding my new boat search to include 00-02 LSV's. The VLX which I was sold on is listed at 2900lbs, which I wouldn't worry about putting on my lift. The LSV is listed at 3400.

Questions are, would you worry about putting a 3400 boat on a 3000 pound lift? second one is, can I "upgrade" my current lift with some beefier cables or something?

I really don't want to have to change out my lift.

EDIT! Title of this should be Boat LIFT Capacity.

Changed the topic for you.

Levi,

No way I'd put more on a lift than what it's rated. Especially cuz you will likely have occupants in the boat too. So gear, occupants (even just the kids and 1 adult, it still adds up), gas, etc. Do the math on all that, then add it to your boat weight. Then get a lift that handles 500lbs more than that, just to be safe.

I've had my cable break twice on me (from fraying due to reeling up on itself), and it's scary. That boat drops fast and will take any appendage with it that may be in the way. Mine is a cantilever with 1 cable, so yours may have a safe guard.

Also, my lift is rated at 3600. I feel like my Echelon is too heavy for it sometimes (2750 plus gear and stuff). I went a size up on my cable (5/8"?? can't remember), but the rest of it feels iffy.

Odds are your canopy can be easily modified to fit a new lift, though. My canopy is from a Great Lakes lift, and my lift is a HarborMaster.

Call the folks at ShoreStation out in Ida Grove, IA and explain your situation to see what they say. I know some lifts use the same frame for the 3000 and 4000 pound lifts, and utilize different pulleys, cable, and winch for the different rating. I wouldn't hesitate to put a VLX on a 4000 pound rating, but I'm with the others concerning the 3000 pound lift.

I would call SS to verify upgrading the cables. I have a #3600 SS lift and a few years ago when the cable snapped (from being old) I asked to have it upgraded to #4000. The upgrade was no problem, but it did require a completely different winch tube.

That's an exciting moment when that cable snaps. Ahem. And the boat drops like a tank. When it did that, I worried that it would crush the frame, or damage it. But never did. Scary though.

Steve B.

have a 5000lb lift for my VLX... i sleep good at night.

I have a 6K hydraulic lift for my VTX, boat protected by a Touchless Cover, motion sensors to keep people away, and an ultrasonic bird repeller to keep the birds away...... I sleep really well at night! :)

I talked with them today, the only difference between my lift and the 3600lb one is the winch tube and cables. Should be a pretty simple upgrade. When the time comes maybe I'll try to sell my lift, but its nice to know I don't HAVE to...

I have my 2000 23 LSV on a 36-108a, mine is an aluminum block engine with no tower or ballast so it is the "light" version but it works well. I believe most of the parts for the 36-108 are common with the later 4000 lb lifts as well.

I talked with them today, the only difference between my lift and the 3600lb one is the winch tube and cables. Should be a pretty simple upgrade. When the time comes maybe I'll try to sell my lift, but its nice to know I don't HAVE to...

I dont think it's worth the hassle of selling and buying another. The new winch tube should cost you no more than $650 installed. Once you have that installed you basically have a brand new lift. If you want to go all out you could also replace the leveler cables, then your lift would be as good as new. All for less than a grand.

I have a 6K hydraulic lift for my VTX, boat protected by a Touchless Cover, motion sensors to keep people away, and an ultrasonic bird repeller to keep the birds away...... I sleep really well at night! :)

thats intense.

• 7 months later...

I put a new winch tube on my 36-108 - not a bad job (I did it in the water), I would get a couple extra pully's as well as a couple of mine had cracks in them. Still no issues with my 2000 23 LSV.

I put a new winch tube on my 36-108 - not a bad job (I did it in the water), I would get a couple extra pully's as well as a couple of mine had cracks in them. Still no issues with my 2000 23 LSV.

That is good info. I am going to see if I get any takers on mine this week. If not I'll order up the upgrade parts as soon as I confirm a boat.

Not a bad lift but the canopy will certainly be on the short side. We just purchased a used 4000 pound shore station, 120" wide, AC motor, and a 24' canopy for our Nautique. We picked it up for $3,300 and it is in great shape besides the canvas canopy. I guess my point is you may want to consider something a little bigger for your new LSV. We have a 5000 pound Floe with a 26' canopy for our '04 VLX. Just food for thought.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX