Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

320 HP LCR vs 340 HP Monsoon

wetfoot

The monsoon is an awesome engine period. Not saying anything is wrong with the lcr. If I were ordering a new boat the Monsoon would be considered a standard feature in my books. However, if I found a good deal on an already built boat with the LCR then I wouldn't let it get in the way of buying that boat. I don't think anyone has any negative feed back from the LCR around here.

The monsoon is an awesome engine period. Not saying anything is wrong with the lcr. If I were ordering a new boat the Monsoon would be considered a standard feature in my books. However, if I found a good deal on an already built boat with the LCR then I wouldn't let it get in the way of buying that boat. I don't think anyone has any negative feed back from the LCR around here.

Agreed. The only thing that I'll add is that the LCR is the old Monsoon. I've been in plenty of boats with both engines & they're both very good. If the price is right on a boat with an LCR, don't shy away from it over the motor. As Madman suggests, much of it will depend on how you want to use the boat (footers who want every ounce of speed should probably look at the Monsoon for example).

Oh, & welcome to the site. :)

I have the 340 in my o4 rlxi. Had the 325 monsoon in a 2000 rlx. thinking about an06 and I will not spend the $$$ for the monsoon. The lcr has plenty of pop out of the whole and I dare say that top end is probably the same... Both motors are bullet proof.... basically the lcr is the old monsoon. Just another MBO opinion.

Doubt anyone is really going to notice a 6% horsepower difference. There are plenty of boats out there that have less h.p. than either engine you're looking at and they perform just fine.

here's a fun tidbit

We had a Sunsetter LXi W/ LCR drag race a RLXi with Monsoon.

Both w/ Same Prop, Both had two guys, both had empty tanks. Sunsetter is obviously quite a bit heavier.

Dead Even until about 45 when the Response LXi pulled ever so slightly ahead

Now i do also think the Sunsetter's hull might be quicker, but that's just speculation.

But my overall conclusion, the LCR vs. Monsoon in the ski boats seem to be almost the same.

I'm a huge fan on the 340 Monsoon in my RLXi...unless I could ski them both, I'd go Monsoon.

Same here. I love the Monsoon in my Rlxi.

LCR and Monsoon are basically the same engines.

The monsoon has the ETX alloy exhaust (+ matching ECU) and a knock sensor.

I'm more than satisfied with our LCR-equipped Response. It runs like hell (my dealer's words after we outperformed his 04 HH-Response LXI). No big difference to the monsoon IMO.

get the EXT manifolds on the LCR (if you can....can you Dontknow.gif )

then you will be closer to the monsoon and get another 10hp?? cant remember the percentage of improvement but torque, fuel economy and weight reduction were appealing from what i remember... im sure some malibu nerd on here will know Tease2.gifTongue.gif

not worth the extra $$ IMO....get a better stereo or something, and PP!

get the EXT manifolds on the LCR (if you can....can you Dontknow.gif )

then you will be closer to the monsoon and get another 10hp?? cant remember the percentage of improvement but torque, fuel economy and weight reduction were appealing from what i remember... im sure some malibu nerd on here will know Tease2.gifTongue.gif

not worth the extra $$ IMO....get a better stereo or something, and PP!

I discussed with our dealer the retrofit of ETX manifolds on our brand new LCR.

He said that I definitely will gain some HP and RPMs and will have a better gas mileage as well.

Downside is that the two exhausts alone cost more than the upgrade to the Monsoon. :(

Then you'll need new gaskets, some different hoses and of course a few hours to install them.

So I'll keep LCR as it is...

Hey Chaabo the hot orange looks nice. I note you have the same rego number on both boats - obviously it relates to the owner rather than the boat.

You don't just get more HP and torque. You also get a beefier alternator (95A) and a single serpentine belt. It's just an updated engine with more modern amenities.

Hey Chaabo the hot orange looks nice. I note you have the same rego number on both boats - obviously it relates to the owner rather than the boat.

Thanks Andy!

I designed the numbers for the black boat by myself (to match the original "Response" decals).

I had two sets of stickers plotted and drip molded which was pretty expensive and took a lot of organizational efforts. (Going the domednumbers.com way was not an option because the German registration letters have to have a 10cm in height).

Keeping that number for the new boat was a real PITA! (Lots of correspondence with the public offices + several extra fees needed). But at least it was possible although a registration number is issued for one particular boat and not for the owner. I surely was surprised that in the end it worked out and I was allowed to keep the number for the new boat.

@electricjohn

I apologize for the hijack of your thread! :blush:

I've heard (and someone else mentioned it here) that there is no knock sensor on the LCR. That would bother me a bit, as you never know what quality the gas you're using is, especially after its been sitting a while.