Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump Whine

First some facts--2000 SSLXI with 550 hours. The boat has been well maintained, with fuel filters changed regularly (both of them). I am getting an intermittent whine from the fuel pump that I can hear at idle. It seems to go away under power, but that may not be true since the motor noise may be too loud to hear it. It really is intermittent, and doesn't happen each time I go out.

After some research, I have replaced both filters. I have not sprayed carb cleaner up into the inlet of the fuel pump--will try that this weekend. I looked up in there and didn't see anything in the screen...

The fuel filters were pretty clean when I replaced them. What I don't get is the intermittent nature of the whine. Seems to me that if the pump was bad, or something was clogging the system, the whine would always be there.

Anything else I should check before I replace the fuel pump?? Thanks for the collective wisdom of The Crew!!

I recently have a wealth of experience with this. It's pretty easy to check that whole side of the fuel system. The whine to me indicates one of two things, either it is starving for gas, or it is sucking in air. Since you have changed the filters and the screen on the bottom of the pump appears to be clear, I might check all of the fuel lines and make sure there is no wear or cracks, or loose clamps that could be pulling air in. If all of that checks out ok, I might think that the pump may be in the early stages of letting you down.

Carter no longer makes that pump. Best price I found was at inboardonline.com, fast shipping. Worked out pretty good for me.

Edited by Wolfgangred

That sure looks like the right pump. Found it at skidim also http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=55-6014

What I don't get is the intermittent nature of the whine. If it is going bad--what is failing that would only make the noise some of the time. How much time before it gives up the ghost? Can I make it to the end of summer or is this an immediate project?

I will check all the lines and hose clamps this weekend to rule those out. Is there a bearing(s) in the pump that make the whine? I am not going to take it apart--just curious what mechanism is making the whine.

Wouldn't running an engine lean potentially lead to serious damage.

Not sure about you guys, but my time on the lake is valuable and so are the people on my boat. I'd sure hate to put them in harms way with a vessel that had no power.

Just change it - it is an hour long project max. You will want to be really careful with those brass fittings onthe pump and hoses. Very very easy to damage.

That sure looks like the right pump. Found it at skidim also http://www.skidim.co...?number=55-6014

What I don't get is the intermittent nature of the whine. If it is going bad--what is failing that would only make the noise some of the time. How much time before it gives up the ghost? Can I make it to the end of summer or is this an immediate project?

I will check all the lines and hose clamps this weekend to rule those out. Is there a bearing(s) in the pump that make the whine? I am not going to take it apart--just curious what mechanism is making the whine.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Oreilly Auto parts loans out the gauge

My pump was fine, had a little whine to it, ran great. I had a boat load of people, and it went out. Two hours being towed back. One kid on our boat got sick from being sloshed around behind the other boat. She was throwing up. Lots of disappointed kids. Not a good weekend. I would recommend checking all that I mentioned, if it all checks out, change it and save yourself some trouble.