Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

94 Malibu Echelon blower?

Can anybody tell me where the blower is or should be located on my boat. I do not hear any noise when I flip the switch and having a hard time locating where the motor should be. Thanks for any help.

David

Not to hijack your request, and very related I think, on my new 93' skier, the blower is mounted on the top of the rear of the engine. Not like my other girl. I'm not sure how it was plumbed because the 3" hoses were all over the bilge and nothing connected to the 2 exhaust ports on the top of the transome.

At first I thought well hot air rises, interesting, but after reading hints here and thinking, duh, all the bad stuff is heavier than air and that's where you need to draw your exhaust from.

If somehow the blower should be mounted there in this boat, or others, and this actually is NOT one of the many jury rigs I've found so far (I feel like CSI), plz let me know this.

You should see the rudder control mod. It's real unique, and I just might not go back to the original. heh heh.

Mine is on the back of the engine just above the muffler. It should be a round plastic housing about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and about 6 inches long with plastic hose on either end. I have a '93 Echelon LX.

It is at the rear of the engine, almost center but slightly to the starboard side just above the exhaust. It faces sideways, drawing air in from the port side and pushing it out on the starboard side. The port side intake duct should just go over the port edge of the engine and hang freely in the bottom of the bilge to pick up low lying fumes. The starboard side should go around the starboard side of the engine and all the way back to the vent hole in the transom on the starboard side. The port side vent from the transom should go parallel to the starboard vent tube but ends at the rear of the engine compartment, not connected to anything but able to vent freely.

I just replaced all my tubes this spring, mine were brittle and worthless.

I think I'll be working on the boat tonight and will take some pics.

I have a 96 Echelon. My blower is on top of the fuel tank. I only have one hose that connects to one of the vents in the transom just a couple feet away. The other vent hole doesn't have anything attached to it. I've wondered if there is another tube that is supposed to be attached to the other vent hole?????

I don't like this locattion for the fan because it is very loud. (Can I encase it in foam padding to muffle you think?) I don't have a blower tube going through the exhaust area at all. My guess is the louvered vents in the side walls of the engine compartment are routed under the floor, down the side, to the transom area. Then up over the fuel tank where the fan is clamped in line directly to the one vent hole.

Any opinions of this configuration???

Thanks

I have a 96 Echelon. My blower is on top of the fuel tank. I only have one hose that connects to one of the vents in the transom just a couple feet away. The other vent hole doesn't have anything attached to it. I've wondered if there is another tube that is supposed to be attached to the other vent hole?????

I don't like this locattion for the fan because it is very loud. (Can I encase it in foam padding to muffle you think?) I don't have a blower tube going through the exhaust area at all. My guess is the louvered vents in the side walls of the engine compartment are routed under the floor, down the side, to the transom area. Then up over the fuel tank where the fan is clamped in line directly to the one vent hole.

Any opinions of this configuration???

Thanks

You have vents in the sides of your engine compartment? Doesn't noise travel thru those? Mine is solid, and I insulated it a couple of years ago. I can't even hear the blower at idle.

I'll make sure to get pics of mine tonight and we can mish-mash these setups together.

The vents at in the sides of the recessed floor of the engine compartment. Not the engine box. I assume there is hoses from the forward vents at the windscreen routed under the floor to those louvered vents. Then the other vent sucks it back out to the fan in the transom and out the aft vent. This is all assumption, but there are vents on the sidewalls going down from the floor in the engine compartment.

The vents at in the sides of the recessed floor of the engine compartment. Not the engine box. I assume there is hoses from the forward vents at the windscreen routed under the floor to those louvered vents. Then the other vent sucks it back out to the fan in the transom and out the aft vent. This is all assumption, but there are vents on the sidewalls going down from the floor in the engine compartment.

Gotcha. The forward portion of the starboard vent hose (on my boat) goes to the blower. The forward portion of the port vent hose goes just stops open ended inside the engine compartment, right next to the tranny.

The port vent at the windscreen goes nowhere, no hose is attached to it. Pretty sure that was the factory set up. The starboard side at the windscreen goes down into the hole where your steering cable comes out of the floor. It tucks in there and is open into the floor.

It is at the rear of the engine, almost center but slightly to the starboard side just above the exhaust. It faces sideways, drawing air in from the port side and pushing it out on the starboard side. The port side intake duct should just go over the port edge of the engine and hang freely in the bottom of the bilge to pick up low lying fumes. The starboard side should go around the starboard side of the engine and all the way back to the vent hole in the transom on the starboard side. The port side vent from the transom should go parallel to the starboard vent tube but ends at the rear of the engine compartment, not connected to anything but able to vent freely.

I just replaced all my tubes this spring, mine were brittle and worthless.

I think I'll be working on the boat tonight and will take some pics.

Pics would be too sweet!

Pics too? ;-)

OK, I was just on my boat. The fan was screwed right into the top of the transom fiberglass above the fuel tank. The vibration would resonate through the hull and was louder than the engine noise! I unscrewed it and wrapped it with foam and zip tied it. then packed it in there with an old towel. The fan cools itself with the air through the vent hoses, so I figure this is safe. Anyway,,, It is sooo quiet now!! I can't hear it at all with the engine running now. The air comming out of the vents on the transom is louder than the fan now!! I love it!

Anyway! I'm going back out this evening with the family,,, I will try to get some pics for you of the vents in the engine compartment.

I just want to say thank you to all that have replied. I have come to the conclusion after searching the boat there is no blower installed. Not sure why somebody would ever want to remove it? Again thank you!

Varsity football game last night. Last minute tailgate party came together across the street from the field in the Dentist office parking lot. It was dark when I got home. I'll get pics tonight.

Finally got some pics:

This is the hose under the driver's helm

Edit: this hose connects at the dash by just a pressure fit. There are 3 or 4 tabs on the inside of the female circular fitting that the hose goes inside of. Those tabs grab the spring steel part of the hose and hold it in place. The bottom just gets shoved inside the opening at the bottom where your steering cable and wires come thru.

post-8942-0-98577000-1346862394_thumb.jp

Edited by Michigan boarder

This is the hose on the port side. The hose kind of goes around that bunch of wires and hangs down to the bottom of the engine compartment.

Edit: this is on the intake side of the blower. The blower pulls any low lying gas fumes from the bilge area.

post-8942-0-05581000-1346862445_thumb.jp

This is the starboard side. It is the output side of the blower and goes around the back of the engine, on solid piece all the way back and connects underneath the vent.

post-8942-0-58486500-1346862605_thumb.jp

This is the blower. Again, starboard side is output, port side is input. You can see it's placement relative to the distributor and exhaust hoses.

post-8942-0-84669300-1346863134_thumb.jp

These are the hoses as they go under the floor to the vents. These also slip inside a female fitting just like the one under the dash. BTW, I got my hoses from BakesOnline and replaced them all this spring.

post-8942-0-95178600-1346863221_thumb.jp

Here are the hoses looking under the floor towards the engine. You can see the one on the left side (port) just ends. This is just another source of fresh air into the engine compartment. The one on the other side is the one with fumes in it being sent to the vent in the back.

post-8942-0-96626900-1346863327_thumb.jp

Wow! Thats totally different configuration than my 96. I need to see if mine has been altered, but i know I have those vents in the bottom of the engine compartment. Ill try to get some pics this weekend.

I also noticed you dont have a hds box for prop shaft. Is that a modification?

Thanks

Here are the hoses looking under the floor towards the engine. You can see the one on the left side (port) just ends. This is just another source of fresh air into the engine compartment. The one on the other side is the one with fumes in it being sent to the vent in the back.

Thanks for taking the time to educate!!! Nice shots.

So, if the port hose which just ends is another way for air in the box to enter into that area, then I guess the blower creates a lower pressure in the box drawing air in from that stern vent thru the hose.

When driving though, the air entering the box from the bow would add positive pressure to the box, right? So then air in the box might get forced out that port hose, which is good too. Just thinking out loud.

I took a pic of my blower, but how to post? (newbie..sorry). PM me?

Also, your pics showed me how the rudder control cable should be mounted between main exhaust hdrs, mine has been jury rigged bolted to port side of bilge wall. Now I can try to get real parts using your photo! (no brackets there now). I can post the as-is "fix," if you want...PO said she steers good, but a few things haven't proven true and no sea trial before buying (another guy was there behind me wanting her).. Still for 3500 bucks, I'm happy I picked up this classic porche on the water.

Wow! Thats totally different configuration than my 96. I need to see if mine has been altered, but i know I have those vents in the bottom of the engine compartment. Ill try to get some pics this weekend.

I also noticed you dont have a hds box for prop shaft. Is that a modification?

Thanks

No, they didn't have an HDS on mine. Not sure when they started it, maybe '96?

Thanks for taking the time to educate!!! Nice shots.

So, if the port hose which just ends is another way for air in the box to enter into that area, then I guess the blower creates a lower pressure in the box drawing air in from that stern vent thru the hose.

When driving though, the air entering the box from the bow would add positive pressure to the box, right? So then air in the box might get forced out that port hose, which is good too. Just thinking out loud.

I took a pic of my blower, but how to post? (newbie..sorry). PM me?

Also, your pics showed me how the rudder control cable should be mounted between main exhaust hdrs, mine has been jury rigged bolted to port side of bilge wall. Now I can try to get real parts using your photo! (no brackets there now). I can post the as-is "fix," if you want...PO said she steers good, but a few things haven't proven true and no sea trial before buying (another guy was there behind me wanting her).. Still for 3500 bucks, I'm happy I picked up this classic porche on the water.

Hey, glad I could help. To post pics, when replying click on "More reply options", then "browse" to search for your file, double click it, then don't forget to click "attach this file" as the last step. Pics under 300k will not load, so you may have to re-size (with a photo program you have or there are some free online sites).

Yeah, for $3,500 you gotta a lot of "fix it" budget to play with!

Photo shows where blower is located on this GM 350 mercruiser, and based on your photos I think that's probably the OEM location. Not the same as yours but close...

I'm not sure yet if I will leave it there or not. Hummm... pluses and minuses are swiirling around in my brain. Function/form/Cost/Time etc. If I change I'll post.

The PO put on new chrome valve covers and then he let them go to heck doing nothing, and in less than a year here you can see the results of....salt air.,....they are on my list to replacepost-19658-0-52028000-1347055086_thumb.j, ugly but working.