Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover Bleed Through or Glue Issue?

vaporbluebu

I bought an Evolution cover this year for our 2007 23LSV and took it on a road trip last month. Everything was fine going, but when I got home I didn't have time to take the boat to the storage unit so it sat in our drive way with the cover on in 100+ degree heat for 2 days. I took the cover off to put a couple things in it before putting it away and noticed a yellowish/brown discoloration on the engine cover pads as well as on the side rear seat. I have been doing some reading about the glue problem, but that always seemed to be on older model years than mine. I didn't find any people having problems with Evolution cover bleed through. Any Ideas what this is?

post-17285-0-71100200-1346284381_thumb.j

post-17285-0-55121000-1346284441_thumb.j

post-17285-0-15641700-1346284515_thumb.j

It has been my experience that this is caused from excessive heat from a black cover. With grey covers it does not seem to happen. I am guessing this has nothing to do with glue but more over the vinyl has been literally cooked by the black cover on the rear sun pads. On the corner picture the discoloration again caused by heat is very possibly damp foam behind the vinyl, if you leave the cover off and let the sun dry the upholstery the discoloration sometimes goes away, but may show up every time you put the cover on and it gets warm.

The rear panels are easy to remove and best to hit up an upholstery shop during the winter months when they have less work to get a better price. The actual material is only about $16 per yard wholesale so one could expect the rework of the white to only be $100 or so per panel. The hide'm strip will need to be replace and when they do pull off the vinyl, it is very possible the assembly of the panel has lift out foam on the corners and stapled in sections that make it much more fun to put back together. If the upholstry shop is good, they will have no problem doing just the white but check your blue corners to make sure they have not started to get burnt or dried out.

The burnt upholstery usually is found on the sun deck and 2 rear corner seat cushions, discoloration on the edge rails is mostly seen on the long center rails and the front playpen rails.

Normally our boat is either on the water or in storage, but it's spent quite a bit of time at the dealer (and at the house in transit), so I've seen the discoloration come and go. From what I see our problem is not the cover bleeding through, it's that the cover makes it too hot and I guess the glue comes up from under the cushions. I don't think we've had a case of our cover discoloring or bleeding because the cover is dark and it happens in places where there's terry liner under the cover.

The third picture definitely looks like what we've seen. It looks kind of like red paint overspray or where a red swimsuit bled onto the vinyl. Getting it back in the sun has worked for us so far the few times it has happened. The first two pictures it's hard to tell if it's the same thing I've seen, but if they look the same in person, it will most likely go away.

I'm glad I saw threads about it here first so that when I did have it happen I wasn't freaking.

I have a excess material and the backing foam with the cloth, I am thinking about going to the our upholstery shop and glue backing material to the vinyl then using a heat gun to see if the glue really has any influence towards discloration. My initial thought is the glue is not in play here but until I cook some sample pieces not able to say with 100% confidence. I think it is moister in the foam behind the vinyl but it’s worth the experiment.

Its free, its easy and I get to cook some upholstery- I should do a video to make everybody laugh.

Vapor- countless examples on here of Malibu vinyl turning colors under hot covers.....sometimes folks air it out and it goes away, sometimes its permanent. but at either rate it seems to be a sure way to get yourself well on the road to dry and cracked vinyl with those temp extremes.

In the future....slide a couple nerf footballs under the cover before you cinch it all down on those rear sunpads, bring them all the way to aft edge of the sunpad.... it'll keep the cover at least 3-4" off any of the vinyl after you cinch it tight. I keep a couple of them in the boat at all times as water toys, and so they are already there when I go to put on the cover.

I have a black cover...over white/cream/biege vinyl back there. Also, temps here routinely approach 115+degs here in July Aug. Ive never had any issues at all.

nyryan2001, never?! That's encouraging. When I went to look at my boat at WSA before i bought it, I pulled the cover off and had all the discoloring everywhere. Tim said "come back in an hour and it will be gone", it was. I keep mine in the garage except for one time, had to leave it out so I covered it and thought I had it lifted off the vinly. When i got it in the garage and pulled the cover off, BINGO, "burnish" marks all over and they won't go away just in a cool garage. I haven't got it to fade out yet. I'm hoping that we'll have enuff sun this long w/e to get me back "right". If not, WSA will get to work on it while doing the winterizing and other odd jobs I have for them. Fingers crossed...

A water weenie across the back edge of the sunpad works well for this... until I get my new grey cover from Malibu.

I saw on the Axis website that if you choose a black cover instead of the grey one that it voids the vinyl warranty. Thought it was interesting...

I saw on the Axis website that if you choose a black cover instead of the grey one that it voids the vinyl warranty. Thought it was interesting...

Thats interesting, thanks for the heads up. I frequent that site but haven't come across that I will have to check it out. I did not have any problems till a month ago, so I quickly learned how to prevent it. My stains only showed on the little bit of white i have on the sundeck but came out after a couple hours in the sunlight. I did not have an option to pick what color cover when I ordered mine. My dealer knows of the problem and has ordered grey covers for all of us axis owners and will be taking back the black covers. I have a great dealer..

Thats interesting, thanks for the heads up. I frequent that site but haven't come across that I will have to check it out. I did not have any problems till a month ago, so I quickly learned how to prevent it. My stains only showed on the little bit of white i have on the sundeck but came out after a couple hours in the sunlight. I did not have an option to pick what color cover when I ordered mine. My dealer knows of the problem and has ordered grey covers for all of us axis owners and will be taking back the black covers. I have a great dealer..

No worries. Noticed it when i was building a boat on the Axis site. When you click the blue little info thing under covers i noticed it. Here's a screen shot.

ScreenShot2012-09-02at84752PM.png

UPDATE: While our boat was waiting to be repaired it sat out in the sun a lot at the dealer. I have a black cover. It came back with quite a bit of discoloration. It will be interesting to find out where this coming from (cover, glue foam, etc).

After about 4 hours on the lake 80% of it was gone and I'm sure the rest will disappear next time we are out.

Our boat is almost always in storage, but it gets hot here in Texas and it has been stored outside for days at a time for one reason or another. It's weird to me that suddenly this is an issue for a lot of folks (it seems like) when the overall conditions haven't changed. It makes me think it has something to do with UV rays or weather or something. Last year we had on average much higher temps, the boat sat outside when we camp and the like and I never saw this problem at all.

It's a weird issue and I hope it's only temporary for everyone.