Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Oil Pressure/ Is Surfing Abusing a Response?

We borrowed a surf board last week and quickly discovered we needed more weight. Two borrowed 750 lb Fat Sacks later we were surfing behind a Response without a rope. After dropping off the ballast tanks we were idling home when I noticed there was no oil pressure. The engine was running fine but I shut it down and got a tow in. I started it a few times while trouble shooting and got the guage to read as high as 10 but I wasnt willing to run it much with the possibility of no oil pressure. We pulled the boat and ran it on the trailor and it indicated normal. So, my question is what caused the problem?

My mother-in-law was driving while we surfed so I cant say if it happened at any other time other than when we idling back. There was never an alarm. It was about half a quart low (at the add line). It ran at normal operating temperature the whole time. I use Penzoil 20w50. While the boat was on the trailor we discovered an alternator bolt that was broken. It indicated normal before we replaced the broken bolt or added oil. I don't know if any of these things are factors but thought I mention them.

My Dad is convinced that we are abusing the boat and engine by surfing. The weight limit for the boat is 1150 (or close to that). With crew and ballast Im guessing we were close to 2000 lbs. We are careful to keep the fuel vent from being swamped and are really careful not to dip the bow when idling. Is surfing abusing the engine or hull anymore than skiing?

Note: the boat belongs to me, not my Dad so his opinion is unbiased. I just want to know if he is right.

martinarcher

I surf our Sunsetter all the time. Sure the extra weight puts more load on your engine. It's just like loading the back of your pickup with more gear or towing a trailer - sure the engine works a bit harder. There is a thread from enginenut about engine life and boat weight. If you can reach redline with you boat set up for surfing your fine. There are a ton of guys on the board surfing behind Responses with great success.

I would suspect a flaky oil pressure gauge or bad sender. There is no way the surfing caused the low pressure reading. If surfing damaged your engine the problem wouldn't dissapear when put back on the trailer.

I doubt that it would run very long with no oil pressure. I had a early 80s K5 blazer that showed zero oil pressure on start up, but it quickly, as in immediately, made a whole lot of valve noise and I shut it off. Had the oil pump replaced and all was good.

I bet your gauge is not working or is working intermittently.. Check the cannon plug, the oil sender etc.

I have a feeling the guage is, or wasn't reading quite correctly. Clean the umbelical connections at both ends and find a way to make sure they stay tight.

Check the connection at the oil pressure sending unit, by pushing it hard onto it's seat.

With the boat off plane, the guage may not be accurate, and should be okay with enough oil. Pushing it hard? Yes, but doesn't sound like abuse.

Also, warm it up good once or twice, no surfing, and watch pressure.

Steve B.

I surf our Sunsetter all the time. Sure the extra weight puts more load on your engine. It's just like loading the back of your pickup with more gear or towing a trailer - sure the engine works a bit harder. There is a thread from enginenut about engine life and boat weight. If you can reach redline with you boat set up for surfing your fine. There are a ton of guys on the board surfing behind Responses with great success.

I would suspect a flaky oil pressure gauge or bad sender. There is no way the surfing caused the low pressure reading. If surfing damaged your engine the problem wouldn't dissapear when put back on the trailer.

When Matt says extra weight he means thousands of pounds. Check out the sasquatch sized ballast bag in his poormangate post.

martinarcher

When Matt says extra weight he means thousands of pounds. Check out the sasquatch sized ballast bag in his poormangate post.

:lol: Yeah and he's running a good 30+ more hp than I am.

Wow! I guess so. I didn't notice that before. Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone have a placement recommendation for two 750s? I put one across the back and one to the right of the engine cover. It seemed like a really nice wake but I have no basis for comparison.

martinarcher

Nope, just the wedge and peeps. It's plenty to get the rubrail....underwater. :) Even with that much weight the boat still drives fine and we don't have trouble with rollers coming over the side. You just have to pat attention to what's going on around you.