Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this overpriced?

wakesetter8796

That's a surf monster waiting to happen. 600hrs...8.1L....I'd says its a reasonable retail price based on its condition and how it runs.

5O-55k to throw a pro level surf wake? I'd says yes.

nyry, I always think twice before disagreeing with you, but I have not heard of the 23 LSV being a surf monster. It seems that the 247 throws a better wave, or at least I don't hear many guys bragging about the 23.

To answer the OP's question directly, I think it is overpriced. Although the 8.1 was something like a 14K option when the boat was new, it just doesn't hold that much value. 600 hours is not going to scare most of us on this forum, but you will take a beating on resale when potential buyers are comparing boats with 1/2 that many hours or less on them. So some of that beating should be absorbed by the current dealer. You never know what they are willing to come down to, so it doesn't hurt to call.

I'd say that boat is every bit as capable as a 247. I think 22s and 23s are evey bit as capable surfwise as 247s.....so long as they have enough motor to push the weight req'd....I just don't think a whole lot of folks really know how to dial one in.

Not that its some mystery or something, but 4 balllast tanks, fuel, sacs, speed, wedge, surboards, gear on the boat, folks on the boat, there are a TON of variables to play around with and figure out.

At 130hrs on my boat, the majority surfing, I feel like just recently I really understand it and am consistently producing a similiar wave. I really had no idea what I was doing the first 75. I put a ton of thought into how my boat is setup for surfing and how I carry loads. My boat is a goofy surf boat only. It'd take hrs to move over for regular surfing( ie 3 SRM29s in my starboard rear locker + 1100lb sac +750 under the seats)

That boat has larger rear lockers than mine, as my surf coolers eat into my usable ballast space. When you have an endless supply of power and weight is no longer an issue, you can really get after it.

NyRyan I run 1100 in the locker, 750 on the seat, fat brick on the platform, 40 lbs of lead under the seat. Goofy only. Dialed it in easily after owning 3 malibu's . Have the 6 litter motor. You are right, a 23 will make a big surf wave, maybe not as safely as a 24. By the way, my buddy has a new tige z3, and my wave is way nicer than his, even after he bought the custom 1400 lb sac.

NyRyan I run 1100 in the locker, 750 on the seat, fat brick on the platform, 40 lbs of lead under the seat. Goofy only. Dialed it in easily after owning 3 malibu's . Have the 6 litter motor. You are right, a 23 will make a big surf wave, maybe not as safely as a 24. By the way, my buddy has a new tige z3, and my wave is way nicer than his, even after he bought the custom 1400 lb sac.

Interesting...That is good to know. Thanks for the update.

On the Tigeowners forum, the Z3 is like the second coming as far as surf boats go. It would be interesting to post your comment, just to stir the pot. :Tease3: Although it does appear that you have 1890 pounds + the fat brick, however much that is. It seems you have a little more weight. Send him over to the Tigeowners to see if he is doing something wrong.

Tallred, I have the weight you listed above, fat brick is suppose to weigh about 155, but I don't believe it. Plus my factor ballast, whatever that weighs? We set up his z3 just like rag boys comp. boat on wake world. Nasty transition at the bottom, horrible prop wash,kicking up in your face. If you come down side ways you are gonna go down! Wave is as tall as mine, and maybe a bit longer. We are talking about goofy here. Maybe he has the wrong prop? We have screwed with it for hours. His zr2 wave wasn't that phenomenal either! I think malibu's dont get enough recognition in the surf world. Although I have never ridden behind a centurion, or a 247, I think the 23 has a great easy to ride wave. I think the boat above would make a great surf machine.

I've owned an 08 23LSV and now have an 11 247LSV. My 23 had a great surf wake, I'd say the 247 is a little better, but I've added bit more ballast than I had in the 23. Both make an awesome wake in my opinion.