Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muskrats chewing through cables to the power wedge

I have had muskrats chew through the cables to the power wedge actuators behind the boat underneath the swim platform. We were able to fix the wiring -- then the next night they chewed through the cables again. There may be to many muskrats to trap. Any other ideas

Edited by [email protected]

happened to a friends brand new tri-toon pontoon. The little buggers were eating the wires and after inspecting, he found that they were dining in the back of the boat and left all the clam shells. never saw the critter again :)

Had the same issue a few years back on our pontoon- they chewed everything they could get to underneath, wiring, fuel line, you name it. A shop owner I dealt with told me he used clear lacquer in an aerosol form and coated the bellows on his I/O when they chewed through it- supposedly they don't like the taste. After our boat was repaired I sprayed all the wiring with some and it hasn't been touched since. Don't know if it works but it's worth a shot.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone seen a muskrat chew on the foam of a swim platform??? I had the unpleasant surprise this weekend!

• 4 years later...
On 8/27/2012 at 7:24 PM, glarsen222 said:

I have had muskrats chew through the cables to the power wedge actuators behind the boat underneath the swim platform. We were able to fix the wiring -- then the next night they chewed through the cables again. There may be to many muskrats to trap. Any other ideas

How were you able to fix this?

• 1 year later...

This happened twice… repaired 1st time.   Out of commission now.  Can’t get replacement actuator until December and quoted cost $2k:+each.  SMH.   Seems like a design flaw.  Why not wrap with steel braided sleeve at the factory?  

MalibuNation

Are these boats on lifts or in the water?  We have tons of muskrats and the beaver population is exploding on our lake.

I just had the unpleasant experience of finding a yellow jacket nest in my boat within a month.