Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Some Advice on a 2nd Boat

BlknYlwT22

My dad wants the sound and feel of a V8

What about a tritoon with a V8 with above water transom exhaust? There is one on a local lake by me. They had about 10 people on board and flew by my Echelon like I was standing still ... I was going about 30 mph at the time.

where did he say his mother and father wanted to have 10 people on the boat and be able to use an onboard crapper.....?

NOWHERE did he state that.....what he wants makes perfect sense and that dad still gets to take his mother out and have a blast driving a little Porsche around.....now, if ya wanna talk about a Pontoon, let his dad find one of his buddies to buy a pontoon or they can have the pontoon as their 3rd boat....

My third boat was a 36' Gibson houseboat.....and if I ever get a 3rd boat again, it will be a pontoon too.....but I love having a v-drive and a d-drive to tool around in.....

and that's my .05 cents worth....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sure many of you will be disappointed since we did not end up with a pontoon but I am happy to say my parents are the proud owners of a '98 Nautique. The boat has 400 hours on it and is in good condition. The hull is in great shape minus some scratches on the very bottom and the interior will look much better with a cleaning and possibly a little vinyl work. Overall we feel we got the boat for a really good price and are happy with it after spending a little time on the water with it this evening. Now it is time for another lift!

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

they are great boats...you will be glad you bought the boat....is it the 310 hp GT-40 fuel injected? Or the 290 hp Carb model? how was it handling the chop on your lake>

Smooth and quiet as I would expect?

they are great boats...you will be glad you bought the boat....is it the 310 hp GT-40 fuel injected? Or the 290 hp Carb model? how was it handling the chop on your lake>

Smooth and quiet as I would expect?

It is the fuel injected GT-40 and does quite well in the chop. I appreciate your feedback from last week. It solidified this purchase!

It is the fuel injected GT-40 and does quite well in the chop. I appreciate your feedback from last week. It solidified this purchase!

So glad you got the GT-40, As the 290HP Carb had many issues, one main one being the flywheel on that motor had a harmonic vibration at about 1800 rpm.....

Enjoy your new ride.....Glad I could help...

What a sweet boat. Now you're just making me sad that this thing is just for cruising the lake and not for towing the course. Ah well, it should make for a pretty fun little racing boat as well. Hey JB Foot, I'm glad to see you're a fan of this boat as well. I've been looking for an Echelon LX forever now, and the wife is getting tired of waiting, so we may head to socal in 2 weeks and pick up a 97 open bow version of this boat. It does have the GT40 motor as well.

What a sweet boat. Now you're just making me sad that this thing is just for cruising the lake and not for towing the course. Ah well, it should make for a pretty fun little racing boat as well. Hey JB Foot, I'm glad to see you're a fan of this boat as well. I've been looking for an Echelon LX forever now, and the wife is getting tired of waiting, so we may head to socal in 2 weeks and pick up a 97 open bow version of this boat. It does have the GT40 motor as well.

If you are ever going to want to foot with it....FORGEDABOUTIT unless you are going to be a BOOM baby (hull spray is not a factor for booming) or you will have to stay 100' behind the boat...because it has the standard Nautique three (3) troughs to deal with....

Also, the Open Bow, or SNOB as it is referred to...is TIGHT, as they pushed the windshield back to make room for the front and that make the cockpit rather close....

Does your wife realize that the open bow version is a step over the Windshield?

If it is not a step over version you are going to look at, then it is not the 196 Ski Nautique/SNOB 19' 6" without the platform, it will be a Sport/Air Nautique that is 21' long without the platform....

let me know if you have any questions on those ones...

Ah interesting. Good to know. Currently I am an EXTREMELY recreational barefooter. I put on shoes and start out sitting on my wakeskate if the water is glass and I've already done everything else. Even then, I get scared after about a minute of riding and bail off. I have, at times, considered maybe learning the deepwater start with a barefoot wetsuit, but it's a sidethought more than anything.

Yes, the wife realizes it is step over. She has kind of come around to the concept. She would still prefer a walk-thru, but will at least entertain the idea of it being step over (whereas before, she wouldn't even consider it.)

Do you have any details about this 3 trough area you are mentioning? I'm not too concerned about barefooting, but I would love more details on what you mean just for the sake of education.

Thanks

Ah interesting. Good to know. Currently I am an EXTREMELY recreational barefooter. I put on shoes and start out sitting on my wakeskate if the water is glass and I've already done everything else. Even then, I get scared after about a minute of riding and bail off. I have, at times, considered maybe learning the deepwater start with a barefoot wetsuit, but it's a sidethought more than anything.

Yes, the wife realizes it is step over. She has kind of come around to the concept. She would still prefer a walk-thru, but will at least entertain the idea of it being step over (whereas before, she wouldn't even consider it.)

Do you have any details about this 3 trough area you are mentioning? I'm not too concerned about barefooting, but I would love more details on what you mean just for the sake of education.

Thanks

pm me