Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Some Advice on a 2nd Boat

BlknYlwT22

My parents are currently looking into buying a 2nd boat to use as a cruiser. We love our Wakesetter but it has been clear that the boat is only out on the water when I am around. With the tower and cover it is a real challenge for my parents to use the boat on their own. I have since suggested that they look for a nice direct drive boat that they can use to get out on the water. They are looking to spend 10-12k and are considering Malibu Responses, Mastercraft Prostar 190s, and Ski Nautiques. I think my dad would really like to get something that is fuel injected and does not have wood stringers (I have heard wood stringers can be a real issue on some of the older boats). It would also be nice to have something that does alright in some chop. I realize these boats will pound a bit but our neighbors 92 Nautique handles chop quite well and would like to hear what others have to say about the responses and 190s. Do you guys have any suggestions on boats in this price range? Thanks in advance for the help!

I don't think many folks would consider a DD to be a cruiser... Don't get me wrong, I love my DD but if I never planned to tow anyone I would find a cheap® cushy IO or something quieter with better seating to cruise around in.

I don't think many folks would consider a DD to be a cruiser... Don't get me wrong, I love my DD but if I never planned to tow anyone I would find a cheap® cushy IO or something quieter with better seating to cruise around in.

My dad has said he wants nothing to do with an IO or pontoon. He would love to have a Chris Craft woody but doesn't want the maintenance. I suggested a 70-75 Century resorter but I think he wants something that is a little newer and still sporty looking. This boat will mostly be used in the evenings when the lake has calmed down and will most likely be a puttser.

• Like 1

For 10-12k, should be able to find a late 90's to early 2000's Sunsetter LX or LXi after negotiating the price a bit. LX will have the same hull as their VLX; LXi will have the diamond version of that hull. LXi would be more desireable for a DD but may be more expensive or harder to find.

tower aside won't the second boat have a cover, too?

guess i don't see how it's easier to handle a dd vs the wakesetter.

for half the cost of the second boat i'd consider putting a few things (electric to the hoist, easier to handle cover, etc.) in place to make handling the wakesetter a bit easier.

tower aside won't the second boat have a cover, too?

guess i don't see how it's easier to handle a dd vs the wakesetter.

for half the cost of the second boat i'd consider putting a few things (electric to the hoist, easier to handle cover, etc.) in place to make handling the wakesetter a bit easier.

Well the tower is what makes it an absolute pain. We drop the tower everytime we put the boat away and it is a tight rope act on the side of the boat with no pier. It is enough of a pain for me let alone someone who is more than double my age. We are just thinking about getting something that is a little smaller and more manageable for them.

This will give you an idea of what we are working with. The lift is already electric its just the drying off and covering that is absolutely painstaking for them. The VLX is like our garage queen. It would be nice to get them something they can just use and not feel like they have to cover every single night. Basically it would be a boat that they can just walk out of the house and use without the hassle of getting set up and putting it away.

IMG_0085.jpg

There are covered hoist options that don't require you to put the tower down. Probably cost 1-2k to modify your setup to have that. Do a search as there are a couple members here that have them. Seems like a lot easier way to deal with this.

If all they want to do is cruise around, a flat bottomed small boat with the engine in the middle doesn't sound like the greatest choice. This has 90s sanger v210 with no tower written all over it imho. Vdrive, small, relatively cheap, solid. Low freeboard too, but so will any dd tournament boat.

This one is local to me, but they show up around CA central valley pretty regularly.

http://reno.craigsli...3219818029.html

(wow, looks awesome... fuel injected motor for $13.5K with under 300 hours?!)

Dunno what it'd cost to ship.

Older sunscape vlx would be good too without a tower?

Edited by shawndoggy

We just like to get the boat tucked up there. We already have the extensions on our lift. We just really like to baby it and keep it out of the elements. This is what its like with the tower up.

IMG_0078.jpg

the original post said NO WOOD Stringers.....

ShawnDoggy wrote: If all they want to do is cruise around, a flat bottomed small boat with the engine in the middle doesn't sound like the greatest choice. This has 90s sanger v210 with no tower written all over it imho. Vdrive, small, relatively cheap, solid. Low freeboard too, but so will any dd tournament boat.

So with that proposal, a 90's Sanger has wood stringers, does it not?

Your Friends Nautique handled your chop well because it is built TOTALLY different than the Malibus and most other FLAT bottomed inboard boats... A Correct Craft does not have a FLAT bottom in the back....and it has TOTALLY filled foamed floors and Isodamp making for a SOLID riding & sounding DD boat... in fact, the faster you drive it in chop, the smoother it rides....

if you get a 1993 or newer CC, than no wood stringers, if you get to a 1995 or newer CC, than NO WOOD period... As for Fuel injcected, CC did not really do it well until the GT-40 hit the scene for them or until 1995...

You could always get them an older Tige` boat to run in the chop that is heavy as all get-out but you still have wood stringers in Tige` until 2004 when they switched out to ALL composite construction...

JMHO

JB

Correct re wood in sangers, though my understanding is that they use some form of non-rotting composite? I've never read about a sanger stringer rebuild?

I agree about Sanger hull and stringer build quality, but he said no wood....

I myself am not afraid of wood, I have it in my Tige` V-drive....and some of the best and most expensive boats in the world still use it....pound for pound, wood is stronger than steel....

But some manufactures don't protect their wood very well and some boat owners think their bilges should be like a swimming pool....LOL....if boat owners are not going to maintain a packing gland and keep an eye on their bilges, they better get a "dripless" packing gland installed...or get boats without any wood...

I suggested a 70-75 Century resorter...

I spent the first 19 years of my life skiing behind a Century Resorter. What a great boat!

I think if they truly want a DD cruiser than it will be tough to beat a '96, '97ish CC. Great boats all around and of the big 3 boat makers I think the CC's handled chop best in that era. The low freeboard is easy to get in/out and they're classy looking/sounding boats. I always loved the CC's with the long swooping N down the side. Also, if you suddenly have a hankering for a great slalom pull, it's a helluva slalom tractor.

jkendallmsce

Lots of boats out there that fit their requirements. even my peppy little bayliner!!

Although probably outta the 10-12 range, but a 1997 or newer Nautique 196...built like a tank, FE, will handle rough water better than any other DD...although not the most economical on the fuel: or an approx. 2000 LX would be great too, solid, speedy and nimble....not sure what Malibu made back then that was a V drive. Not sure how much room they need...just the 2 of them??

Heck save up a few extra bucks and get one of the newer Malibu Corvette boats. great cruising boat, solid, ...I have seen a couple that sold in the 35-40 range. ANd they should hold their value.

Personally your dad should pick up the Mac daddy 2013 247 Wakesetter and use the other Wakesetter as a get around boat. That way YOUR boat will be the bomb and probably get you to the lake house more often. Dad could spend his time waxing and polishing verses fixing.

Edited by JAXONBOATS

There is a reason most people on a lake eventually end up getting a pontoon, especially if you have people over. I'd strongly consider one unless he just wants a fast cruiser for solo or two person blasts around the lake. We bought a pontoon this year and I'd say the enjoyment factor is on par with the Malibu.

There is a reason most people on a lake eventually end up getting a pontoon, especially if you have people over. I'd strongly consider one unless he just wants a fast cruiser for solo or two person blasts around the lake. We bought a pontoon this year and I'd say the enjoyment factor is on par with the Malibu.

That's crazy talk! :p

Based on the suggestions I really do think the CC is the way to go. Most of the time it will just be my parents so space is not a huge issue and if they needed room the Wakesetter wouldn't be too far. A nice fuel inject 196 Ski Nautique would be sweet and can be had for a reasonable price. I'd love a 247 or Vette boat but that is just way out of the budget.

I"m thinking pontoon too. Party machines. Nice big bimini. Get one with a nice swim platform. Little late nite romance.

If I got a 2nd boat, it'd be a pontoon for sure.

Steve B.

I would love to have a pontoon boat! All of those weekends when the wallys are out and water is crap, take the pontoon boat out to float and swim. BBQ up some food, take a nap, enjoy the onboard crapper...sounds pretty awesome!

• Like 2

I would love to have a pontoon boat! All of those weekends when the wallys are out and water is crap, take the pontoon boat out to float and swim. BBQ up some food, take a nap, enjoy the onboard crapper...sounds pretty awesome!

This is exactly the reason we own a pontoon, albeit an old one that needs a little TLC. It gets a bit neglected so the hoist baby can always be taken care of! However I'm ready for a bu upgrade and the wife wants a toon upgrade..... :crazy::dontknow:

Edited by inlandlaker

I have to go PONTOON on this as well.

Come out with IndyXC and I on our lake on any busy day, we aren't on our Ski boats, were on the party barges. (I probably put triple the hours on my pontoon than my ski boat every year)

There is no stigma with pontoons being only for old people anymore especially when 3/4 of my friends would rather go on the tooner than the ski boot.

Awesome factors....

*You can bring everyone.

*if you hit a stump, your out 50 bucks, not 500

*Sip gas

*outboards are the simple to work on

*handle rough water well

*More room than anything else

*Cheap to fix

*Simple Simple Simple

*lifts are cheap if you go that route for docking

Now, I guess it matters how big your lake is, but a pontoon is the best. they are very close to maintenance free. if you want to go fast, just get one with a descent sized motor.

This thread is making no sense to me. You have a wakesetter and parents want a second boat to just put around the lake in and not have to worry about covering, putting on the lift, etc. Everyone is saying pontoon and you say Nautique 196 sounds like the way to go. I don't know how a direct drive ski boat fits the category of what you're looking for. It's going to require much more maintenance, cost more, and do much less than a decent pontoon would. I'm confused.

This thread is making no sense to me. You have a wakesetter and parents want a second boat to just put around the lake in and not have to worry about covering, putting on the lift, etc. Everyone is saying pontoon and you say Nautique 196 sounds like the way to go. I don't know how a direct drive ski boat fits the category of what you're looking for. It's going to require much more maintenance, cost more, and do much less than a decent pontoon would. I'm confused.

They have no interest in a pontoon. My dad wants the sound and feel of a V8 inboard and I asked of the older inboard options that are out there which is the best. I realize it sounds weird to go buy another inboard when you already have one but there is a reason to the madness. We have discussed the pros and cons of another inboard or pontoon and feel an inexpensive inboard would be more enjoyable for them.