Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing a Slalom Course - None on the lake yet

Toronto Boater

I am contemplating buying a lake house on a lake in Ontario Canada (Lower Buckhorn Lake, in the Kawartha region near Peterborough) which does not have a slalom course currently. Can anyone provide some guidance as to how to go about this? ie, whose permission would I need (municipal, as well as local cottagers), whether I install a temporary or permanent one, how do I choose a site, what is the cost and how much work is involved etc. Any suggestions from someone who has done this in Ontario and would be familiar with the local routine would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure how it works up there in Canada, but down in Nevada, we have to get a permit from the Department of Wildlife to have a portable course. I recommend a portable course then you can decide if you want to pull it or leave it based on your laws. Leaving it in be prepared to replacing bouys; the jet skiers like to find the course and tear them up. Other people will go through and cut balls and you may do the same. There are a couple of portable course companies out there. I also recommend skier-to-skier.com. They may have some used courses for sale. Try to put the cours in a cove if you can. Something to keep out the boat wakes and also consider the wind direction. You'll want to have the course as protected as possible for maximum enjoyment! That's my two cents!

jkendallmsce

ski-it-again has used courses.

Ya folks, specially those pesky wave runners/jet skiers like to play dodge ball with the course. Too bad there is not some kinda hunting season and a limit on jet skiers and wave runners!!

They also make the sinkable ones...just a thought.

I made my own out of rope, pvc, eye bolts, zip ties, and some clamps for the rope. Ended up being half price of a new one. If I did it again I would buy used but only at half price. Mine is in 6' water on sandy bottom and is in the southern corner of a lake. Bunge rope is 5' long and I ancored every outside boat gate, and turn bouy with an earth ancor that screws into the sand. It stays perfectly straight with the ancors and no problems except missing bouys every now and then after 3 years. It has stayed at the bottom of the lake since I put it in and I just take the bouys out when needed. This has worked great.

Check with the lakes rate payers association and then the ministry etc. I would highly recomend the foam boat guides for durability. If you do get it in, educating the general public can be a challenge. The more people you get using it (for waterskiing) the better though. You would be wise to place it somewhere protected from the north west wind. .

My understanding is that in Ontario, you actually don't need a permit. However, the Ministry can ask you to take it out if-and-when someone complains. So build some rapport with your neighbours first. And then let me know where you are so I can come take a set once you've got it in :)

Also, you might want to check in @ Buckhorn Marine and ask around... I'm pretty sure there is an active ski community and a course somewhere on Buckhorn. Always more fun to ski with a gang.

Edited by andjules

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I will try to get in touch with local skiers on the lake to build a consensus and go from there.