Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nasty Falls name of the wakeboarding game?

Indyxc

This whole post is amusing. I've been riding a long time and every season I still get 2 or 3 falls where I get totally and unexpectedly worked. Sure you can be conservative and learn the basics before trying new tricks. But every once in a while you're still going to get your a$$ handed to you, possibly even on a trick you already know. If anyone could have told me how to not have a double ejection and slight concussion the first time I tried a Moby d*** I would love to have heard it. Sometimes no amount of trampoline training or anything else can help what happens when you actually sack up and try something that scares you.

Alright, just my opinion. Time to go rollerblading with a full spinal protector, wrist guards, and shoulder pads.

This whole post is amusing. I've been riding a long time and every season I still get 2 or 3 falls where I get totally and unexpectedly worked. Sure you can be conservative and learn the basics before trying new tricks. But every once in a while you're still going to get your a$$ handed to you, possibly even on a trick you already know. If anyone could have told me how to not have a double ejection and slight concussion the first time I tried a Moby d*** I would love to have heard it. Sometimes no amount of trampoline training or anything else can help what happens when you actually sack up and try something that scares you.

Alright, just my opinion. Time to go rollerblading with a full spinal protector, wrist guards, and shoulder pads.

want to hear something ironic. I was trying to learn 360's just by hucking them and kept slamming my head seeing stars. Did a little research and found I 'should' learn with baby steps to avoid getting hurt. Handle pass 180s, 360 off one wake, etc... So there I am practicing 360 slides on a fun box (landed many many many times I might add) as a baby step leading to w2w 360's and bam...Mid foot fracture, season over. So like you said, bad falls can happen any time.

Edited by augie09

My experience is that my worst falls are when I get a bit tired and my "muscle memory" - the ability to somewhat subconciously be in the right position, or have the strength to keep correct balance - goes away. In other words towards the end of my session. I am totally sold on helmets as the saying goes, if you have nothing to protect, then you don't need a helmet.

If you see stars, you need to be done for the day at the very minimum. Helmet or no helmet. A concussion on top of a concussion, even mild, can cause brain swelling and kill you in short order, and that would certainly keep you from progressing.

I have come to the conclusion that I am way better at slalom than I will ever be at wakeboarding, though the one trick I still want to stick is the 360. Have landed it withough the handle, have crashed with the handle, just can't put them together. As an earlier poster suggested, I need to work on getting my axis oriented correctly.

As for bindings, I have used Wiley binding on both my wakeboards and slalom. They aren't high tech or super cool looking, but I have always come out of them when I need to. Very few times have I come out of one foot on my board, usually both or none.

Edited by MalibuTime

My worst falls are because I loose focus trying to understand why my wife can not drive a straight line, she does it for everybody else but when I get behind the boat a snake pattern comes out.. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something

My worst falls are because I loose focus trying to understand why my wife can not drive a straight line, she does it for everybody else but when I get behind the boat a snake pattern comes out.. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something

That's great man. Last season, first season on the water, I felt the same way about my gf. I was always thinking what the hell.

I appreciate everyone's advice. The general consensus is big falls hurt. I was just wondering if I was a wuss, or if that was the norm. Seems to be the norm.

I did take everyone's advice and scale back my 360 attempt. I tried to do a one wake inside outside, and landed it twice. Once the handled slipped out of my hands, the other time I missed the pass. I'll get it soon. I can consistently land ts fs 180s wake to wake, can do surface 360s sliding (no jump) in both directions, so I do have the fundamentals there.

I do agree with the advice on learning all the other stuff wakeboarding. A lot of people think a good rider is someone who can do a bunch of hs fs tricks. The rest of the game is harder. I have invested in switch, and somewhat toe side. I can land toe side w2w occasionally, so definitely need to keep working at that.

Keep working at those basics Indyxc...it all comes back to them.

For example...a TS FS 720 requires the same blind landing as a TS FS 3 and a Switch HS BS 180...so if you have the easier two tricks well under your belt you wont get beaten as hard trying to add that last 180 to the 5. This concept pretty much applies to just about any trick, because once you learn the basic move you will start adding 180's and 3's, to them etc.

• 7 years later...
On 8/29/2012 at 6:19 PM, JAXONBOATS said:

Losing focus is what has gotten me dinged up twice now.  Worst one was just doing a simple switch and caught both toes into full face plant.  $6k dental surgery and 8 months looking like a toothless hillbilly taught me to pay attention and wear a mouth guard while boarding.  I've played rugby and hockey for years but that was the worst head shot I've ever experienced.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Cap305 said:

Losing focus is what has gotten me dinged up twice now.  Worst one was just doing a simple switch and caught both toes into full face plant.  $6k dental surgery and 8 months looking like a toothless hillbilly taught me to pay attention and wear a mouth guard while boarding.  I've played rugby and hockey for years but that was the worst head shot I've ever experienced.

What did you hit your mouth on?

I wear a mouthguard while boarding now.... messed up a HS FS 3, knee hit chin, tongue was out, went to ER for stitches in my tongue..... Mouth guard at least helps me keep my tongue in my mouth.

5 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

What did you hit your mouth on?

Did a full on scorpion and my lower jaw must've hit the water first and slammed it into my upper teeth.  Mouth must've been open when I hit.  Split a canine all the way down to the root and blew off the enamel.  Bone grafting, dental implant, then crown.  

Y'all sound like you have some decent experience. I've been reading helmet threads and was curious whether you guys go for hard or soft foam... Or maybe no helmet at all

2 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Y'all sound like you have some decent experience. I've been reading helmet threads and was curious whether you guys go for hard or soft foam... Or maybe no helmet at all

Helmet 100% for me. Keeps my eardrums from hurting!

3’s are hard to learn but easy when you get them down.  Flipping is wayyyy easier then spinning though.  It’s very easy to get off axis and take a hard fall trying to spin.

Edited by t a

I def don't do spins anymore at 45 years old, I've had some of my worst falls on those.  When I started learning Raleys/911's back in 2003 I was indeed knocked out several times, but finally got'em down.  I would wake up in the water after seeing stars then zip right into darkness, once I came out of it I went into a panic as I didn't know how I got there.  Nearly started making myself drown due to it.  I will still do them from time to time and still working on inverts like whirlys, but i'm very comfortable with the 6 or so inverts I know I can land.

my days of being pushed hard and learning were from the big crew out in Hawaii where I sort of fell into the lap of competition land.  The Hawaii Wakeboard Pro/Am comps were about 3-4 times a year and I had serious motivation from the quality riders.  Heck half the Pros would come there in the winter and ride with us all, they would push you as well.

• Like 1

I opted to purchase a longer board and go a bit slower this year on the boat. Hopefully it is a worthwhile trade off 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, dalt1 said:

Helmet 100% for me. Keeps my eardrums from hurting!

But my ribs sure are sore from the pot hole I slammed into on my foil this weekend! Actually probably saved my ear drum.