Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check Engine Light - boat seems to run well

We have a 98 Response with a new (330 hp fuel injected) 350 as of two years ago. First weekend in Oct 2009 the temp went to 10 below and stayed there all day.

The new engin has run fine for three years, but the Check Engine light has started to come on about 20 seconds after you start the engine if you are just idling or putzing around. If your engine is warmed up and you take off in a sprint the light will not come on until you slow to and idle or are putzing again.

The dash instruments show the oil presure at 80 lbs, the water temp at 160 and the alt is making 14 volts and the boat runs well. I called the boat repair place that replaced the engine to see if they had a clue, they didn't. I wondered if maybe the ox sensor was bad but they said my boat didn't have one (not sure this fellow knew any more about what he was talking about than I do).

An additional bit of info is that we use the boat to fish with about as much as we ski behind it anymore. To fish we drop a couple of 5 gallon buckets behind it and idle. Still a little fast to troll but we catch an occasional deranged trout.

Any ideas??

Also, how do sensors work?? my boat is old and I don't think there is much in the way of error messages. Can I locate which sensor is either bad or working by pulling the lead to see if it no longer comes on???

Thanks for any info you may have

Edited by wtrskier

We would need the code to help with diagnosis. ODB2 scanner is needed to read the codes. You should be able to rent or borrow one from a local parts store.

Thanks!! Looked at the Indmar owner's manual. Doesn't say were to hook the scanner up but I assume there is a port by or under the Engine Control Module. Do you know if Indmar has a website that could help with this.