Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will all the new MXZ models spell the end for VLX, VTX and LSV?

oceanbu

So I have been reading on here that the MXZ will be offered in a 20ft and 24th version in addition to the 22ft version in the future.

Do you think this means the eventual end of the VLX, VTX and LSV boats? Or will Malibu become like Mastercraft and have like a billion different models? I mean just the X-series boats alone, it seems like there are 20 different models...Xstar, X2, X3, X30, X55, X10, X7 etc...okay I just counted and there are 11 different models. Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference between an X7 and X14 or 15 for that matter. I always wondered if Mastercraft really has that much demand that warrants 11 different models in that niche?

Currently Malibu has 5 wakesetter models. I guess you could say 7 including the Vrides.

So in the future do you think everyone will just buy an MXZ now because they have a size for everyone instead of the VTX, VLX or LSV. If you were buying a new boat next year what would you buy? Picklefork or traditional bow?

From initial reports it seems like the best surfgate wave is behind a VLX so I don't know if that will factor in. At anyrate it will be interesting to see what happens. Kinda have a soft spot in my heart for the VLX and would be sad to see it go or will I just forget all about it once I get in the MXZ?

Reason they other boats won't go away:

- VTX is a true crossover...different market.

- V-ride series are entry level boats using former hulls and are more basic. Fills the need for that, though I could see the 23' V-ride going away.

- Not everyone likes the pickle-fork nose. I prefer it and if I were shelling out the cash for a new Malibu it would be for an MXZ, but not everyone is me

- MXZ seems to be the most expensive of them all (imagine that) for the sizes offered...that will factor in as well.

Malibu will just be like Mastercraft and offer a bunch of differnet models.

Friend of mine has a 2012 MXZ and to be honest with you I much prefer the layout of the 23 LSV

Lol, I guess its all about preferences because a friend who recently bought a 2010 LSV just ordered a 2013 MZX 24

not that it is related, but Malibu did dump the sunsetter line.

I would say that the VLX is being squeezed out. I look for the VTX to stay and the 23 LSV to stay, but the VLX to go away in the next couple years. Some dealers have not ordered VLX for this next year, opting for VTX and MXZ. Just look at the 30th anniversary boats - where is the VLX. The VLX helped to build the legacy yet it does not get the special package.

I would say that the VLX is being squeezed out. I look for the VTX to stay and the 23 LSV to stay, but the VLX to go away in the next couple years. Some dealers have not ordered VLX for this next year, opting for VTX and MXZ. Just look at the 30th anniversary boats - where is the VLX. The VLX helped to build the legacy yet it does not get the special package.

You mean sunscape? yes, they did. Dumped sunsetter years ago.

This is not from Malibu, is just an observation, the VLX is the most recent boat to have received a refresh. Why then have an anniversary model of that? The anniversary models are new takes on "old" designs to spur some interest and...sales. VLX ain't goin' nowhere! Factory is crankin 'em right now.

I would assert that most Malibu owners are a tad more traditional than the other top wakeboat owners, hence the cringing and screaming you see on here about the edgy MC designs and styling.

I remember a year ago on here when the MXZ22 was being released...you would have thought Malibu stole their first born child and that Malibu betrayed all of us somehow by turning to the dark side.

I think I remember one guy posting that he'd rather sink to the bottom of a lake in his current Malibu than spit in the direction of a pickle fork. Yes extreme :) . I like the pickleforks.....but I'd bet the regular bow design is steadfast in the business plans of Malubu for the foreseeable future. :cheers:

I just wonder. Now that Malibu has the MXZ22 isn't the VLX kind of redundant? I just wonder now, even though they may be pumping out VLX's at the factory, for people purchasing new boats given the choice between the VLX and MXZ why wouldn't they choose the MXZ if they pretty much fill the same need. Why make two boats like this that are both aimed at the same market?

Also I have noticed a big thing with guys that buy new boats all the time seems to be to have the latest and greatest. It's kind of a status thing. So wouldn't most new boat purchasers want the latest and greatest for the "look at me" factor?

I am not really sure why, if you were in the market for a new boat, and had to choose between the MXZ and VLX, you would choose the VLX over the MXZ?

Edited by oceanbu

Still love my VLX, and I don't care for the picklefork design on any boat. I do say that it does grow on you, as there are more of them on the rivers and lakes every year.

I like the idea of more room in the bow, but the Nautique G23 or Centurion FX22 Hammerhead bows looks way better IMO. If Malibu could accomplish the same seating room, without the picklefork angles in front, i'd be all for it.

I am not really sure why, if you were in the market for a new boat, and had to choose between the MXZ and VLX, you would choose the VLX over the MXZ?

The MXZ is priced higher. Thats one reason.

Personally, i don't need pickle fork because I enjoy more room in the cockpit, but that is the market.

The 30th anniversary VTX is a refresh, if I am not mistaken?

The VTX, anniversary and regular, got a new dash. Nothing else, and its the only new dash across the line.

There will always be those of us who prefer traditional designs therefore manufacturers will supply both styles. I myself would like a closed bow VTX. I don't really use the bow seating much, and would prefer storage, ballast and a closed deck up front, to create a racy looking boat with the v-drive seating configuration. :cheers:

There will always be those of us who prefer traditional designs therefore manufacturers will supply both styles. I myself would like a closed bow VTX. I don't really use the bow seating much, and would prefer storage, ballast and a closed deck up front, to create a racy looking boat with the v-drive seating configuration. :cheers:

Put the windscreen in, put on a snap on tonneau bow cover, and shut the windshield and there ya go. :)

• Like 2

I like the new MXZ but the dealer in my area is not having much luck selling them. VLX's and LSV's go out the door as soon as he gets them. I am sure someone knows the numbers sold MXZ vs. LSV,VLX. I would be interesting to see.

CB

I could see the V-Ride series and VTX-VLX-LSV Wakesetters being combined.

Food for thought: The local dealer here says traditional hulls are still way out selling the MXZ. We are in a cooler climate so only a couple months a year where being in the bow of the boat is pleasurable.

I could see the V-Ride series and VTX-VLX-LSV Wakesetters being combined.

Food for thought: The local dealer here says traditional hulls are still way out selling the MXZ. We are in a cooler climate so only a couple months a year where being in the bow of the boat is pleasurable.

Well lets see, 6 models compared to one...I would hope so!

Personally after owning a VLX and a LSV, the VLX any day of the week is easier to create a great wake. However the comparison between those two models and MXZ could be an interesting one!

So if the VLX is outselling the MXZ and works better with surfgate maybe it will be the other way around? Any possibility the MXZ will be model that doesn't survive down the line?

You gotta think they must be selling a fair amount of MXZ's to go ahead and introduce two new MXZ models for next year.

I'm leaning towards getting a Surf Gate boat. I love the VLX and MXZ styling, the LSV looks kind of blah to me but I haven't ruled out getting one.

The 24 MXZ has me most intrigued, but haven't seen a good Surf Gate wave on an MXZ yet so I'm still not sure.

I think you'll see all the models stick around for at least another 3-5 years. At that time the numbers will tell the company which models to drop and which to keep. Maybe they will just keep them all. Personally I really really dislike the MXZ or any picklefork design. I think they are ugly and and you give up wayyyy too much cabin space for a bow which will carry one extra person. Doesn't make sense to me. But a lot of people really like them. If they didn't, every manufacturer wouldn't have at least one model.

1) who said vlx outsold mxz last year? And 2) You don't give up space in cabin to have pickle.

It would be neat to see some numbers on this or have a dealer chime in. I haven't been in an MXZ but I had heard that the cabin was smaller? Not true?

I never have people in my bow as it really obstructs my vision. My kids are too young to go up there by themselves and my wife says the wind wrecks her hair! Besides I want most people weight in the back anyways to help with the wake. I would personally rather have a bigger cabin.

Still don't see why Malibu would keep the VLX and the MXZ. I could see it going away and maybe just being rebadged as the new Vride.

Anybody know why the MXZ is more $$ than the VLX?