Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I get a Tower?

Levi900RR

So ya'll might know, I'm on the 2 year boat refresh plan and am planning to upgrade to a early VLX some time in 2014. I'm running an extended pylon right now and am quite happy with it. I have been debating on upgrading to a Star One Tower but don't really know if it will be worth it at this point. The Pylon work great, and I already have the racks for it. I'm thinking if I do upgrade to a tower, I'll have to get a new bimini, new racks and I'll have to get my Evolution cover modified so I'll probably have close to 2G's into the upgrade.

Question is, will I get any of that money back when I go to sell the boat?

Probably not.

1) The Start One towers rear legs are pretty far back, so you may lose some interest by slalom skiers, warranted or not.

2) There are some boats that I took off my list when buying because of the tower they had on them. Just because many of the people on here like the brand and use them does not mean everyone does.

It's hit or miss really, but you won't see that investment back. If anything it'll be a bonus for some to buy yours over a similarly priced boat, but for others it will be a negative.

Leave it as is. Save your money in a way that you'll have it for sure next year, not maybe.

Leave it as-is.

- Pylon serves your purpose, and seems to look fine on your boat

- You won't get your money back come re-sale time

- There is a group of buyers who may not buy your boat if it has a tower, as many looking for your boat are dedicated ski people. Tower could hurt resale or limit your market.

That was what I was thinking. I have been trying to keep my boat so that if a die hard skier wanted it I could pretty much put it back to stock trim. My crew is growing fast and I am having to manage 4 wakeboards, a surf board, Skate, and a knee board on a regular basis. That was the real push, but I can deal with it another two summers (or maybe one if I'm lucky). I do like the look of the boat "Naked" when the bimini and pylon are down.

This was the first day I had it out

post-7837-0-98559700-1346085222_thumb.jp

While I agree that you probably wont see any ROI on a tower I think it would expand your market. At least around here a boat with a tower is much more marketable than one with out. You have a boat that will more than likely be someones first inboard. Which probably means the buyer is not die hard anything, So the more options the better. Your market may be different though.

Since you already have the pylon, I'd stick with that. If gear is too much of a problem, mount a couple of items under the canopy of your lift. You can have something hanging down from the frame, attach the gear to that and it will stay neatly tucked up under there out of sight. When time to switch riders, cruise back to the lift and swap out the gear. Then unload it all off the lift/boat at the end of the day.

Also, $2k is probably like 10% of your new boat budget...that's too much to blow on a tower for a boat that you will sell soon. You'll be hoping to move the Skier quickly when you make the move and I'm sure you won't get the $2k back. On the flip side, $2k is also probably like 20% of the asking price of your skier. If your boat is really for a first time inboarder, they would gladly take that 20% discount and make do with the pylon.

I'm in a similar pickle with adding PP to the Echelon. Do I redo that dash and all (like AdeL), or upgrade? I don't really want to upgrade...but I also don't like my beat up, outdated dash.

Since you already have the pylon, I'd stick with that. If gear is too much of a problem, mount a couple of items under the canopy of your lift. You can have something hanging down from the frame, attach the gear to that and it will stay neatly tucked up under there out of sight. When time to switch riders, cruise back to the lift and swap out the gear. Then unload it all off the lift/boat at the end of the day.

Also, $2k is probably like 10% of your new boat budget...that's too much to blow on a tower for a boat that you will sell soon. You'll be hoping to move the Skier quickly when you make the move and I'm sure you won't get the $2k back. On the flip side, $2k is also probably like 20% of the asking price of your skier. If your boat is really for a first time inboarder, they would gladly take that 20% discount and make do with the pylon.

I'm in a similar pickle with adding PP to the Echelon. Do I redo that dash and all (like AdeL), or upgrade? I don't really want to upgrade...but I also don't like my beat up, outdated dash.

Good call, I would say the same back to you on the dash. Put that $ in a box and save for a VLX

Levi900RR

Leave your boat as is....save the money and INVEST it in your NEXT boat.....

michiganboarder....talk to me about your beat up dash....can give you some inexpensive options...