Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Injury in over 20 years...What to do..

Wakesetter67

So I guess the my luck had finally ran out, I had my first real injury in over 20 years, One of the Kids we were pulling Crashed and broke her collar bone, Unfortunately she is from another country and had not gotten her insurance set up yet, So my question, Do I turn in a claim on mine, She was with a group from a local college that asked me to take the group Boating, we do it every year, I would think they could use the college ins but the guy in charge ask me about mine, So what do you think, Should I turn it in or should the college turn it in, I will ask my agent in the Morning but wondered if any of you have had a similar situation??

Edited by Wakesetter67

Some countries have reciprocal health agreements with others. Search your government health website to check.

eg: The Australian Government has agreements with New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Italy, Belgium, Malta, Slovenia and Norway. These agreements mean:

• Australian residents can get help with the cost of essential medical treatment when visiting these countries
  • residents of these countries can get some essential medical treatments while visiting Australia.

What no waiver was signed!!! I always have a waiver for guests on my boat.....Just kidding

:cheers:

I would say who's at fault the girl or the driver..?? If it was her fault then it should her insurance. I know you would get a slew of answers on the crew.

OZfabs.....the US does not have a public health service like we do in Australia and all those other countries you listed... there won't be a reciprocal agreement.

We often forget how lucky we are to have public healthcare here in Australia.

What no waiver was signed!!! I always have a waiver for guests on my boat.....Just kidding

:cheers:

I would say who's at fault the girl or the driver..?? If it was her fault then it should her insurance. I know you would get a slew of answers on the crew.

She was on one of those 6 people water rockets and some of the guys thought it would be fun to tip it over, well I guess one of the guys fell on her, I was only pulling them at 17 MPH and going straight,

My wife got thrown off a 3 person tube while being pulled. 2 hernias. Got one fixed last year, the other is still small so nothing done yet. I pull my daughter and her friend on it now but it kinda scares me. Plus it kills gas mileage. Luckily they're getting into surfing and wakeboarding (yeah, injuries possible there too), I just hate whipping them around the boat on the tube.

So I guess the my luck had finally ran out, I had my first real injury in over 20 years, One of the Kids we were pulling Crashed and broke her collar bone, Unfortunately she is from another country and had not gotten her insurance set up yet, So my question, Do I turn in a claim on mine, She was with a group from a local college that asked me to take the group Boating, we do it every year, I would think they could use the college ins but the guy in charge ask me about mine, So what do you think, Should I turn it in or should the college turn it in, I will ask my agent in the Morning but wondered if any of you have had a similar situation??

What do you have to turn in? did you take her to the hospital and sign her in? I am thinking that the hospital will be looking for whoever signed up. So patient should have the primary responsibility. Boat owner/operator may face a liability claim, if someone makes one, turn that over to your insurance.

All depends on your coverage. you could have med pay coverage on the boat in which case fault is irrelevant and its there no matter what happens (slip and fall, etc.) However, whether it would apply to someone who is behind and not on the boat is probbaly clarified well in the policy.

I will check with my Ins Today, But I was talking to the Guy who organized the event and he said it should fall under the College Ins since it was a group of incoming Freshmen and that it was organized through them, I guess if it was a person that had regular Ins it would be no big deal, But because she is from Korea, and she has no Ins It's a little Tougher, And the Host family took her in and right now they are on the hook for it, And I feel somewhat responsible because it happen on my watch, I do not want the host family stuck with the bill, Even though this has not happened in 20 years, Make you think twice when you pull someone else's kids....

....Make you think twice when you pull someone else's kids....

I understand the caution, but that is why we are insured, a good insurance policy allows you to enjoy your boat. 20 years is a good safety record, but life is dangerous and accidents will happen despite your best efforts.

67- sorry to hear about your troubles. I am too moreso on the cautious side, esp as it relates to tubing and kids. lots of injuries slinging kids around on tubes....skulls, teeth smashing etc etc.

if I am going hard, its 1 on the tube at a time. However, I will give stranger kids pulls wakeboarding who ask if its convienient or we are already doing it, because I know what its like to grow up with nothing like this... and its a real thrill to get a pull behind a premier wakeboat. Tracking.

Yet another reason for folks like us to have an umbrella ins policy... because we own boats and we are all rich and all (joke)... or at least thats the impression.... makes us targets....esp had this been a much more serious injury.

Will be interested to see who you have for boat insurance and what they say.

I know my homewoners ins liability would also cover on this, although, not looking to get my rates jacked sky high.

A boat operator, in my state anyway, is not "strictly liable" for an injury that occurs. "Negligence" is still required. If operator was pulling someone in a "negligent" way which caused the injury, then liability coverage will apply. If not, a boat operator is not liable simply because someone got hurt. However, the operator (supposedly also the owner) could have some supplemental no-fault coverage like "medpay" about which I already spoke where negligence is irrelevant but would nonetheless apply. In some sitiations, both could apply. ryan, I'd suggest you confirm what you say about homeowners, especially if you're with USAA (like I am). A basic tenet of homeowners policies is that all other underlying exposures are covered under distinct policies, same for umbrella policies. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that would be odd. Notwithstanding the above, each state can handle things differently when it comes to legal standards of fault and this is not legal advice, simply an explanation of how one state (though its not an anomaly) would handle.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I have progressive, One of there better policy's, I will hear back from my agent today to see what they say, I also have an umbrella policy but that is for my car ins, Don't think that would apply here, But we will see, I hope i don't have to put in a claim, but this is a great reminder to check our policy's and make sure we are covered and covered well... When We Put on Wake The World Oregon we were covered under a wake Boarding event coverage, that was provided through Wake The World, This was just a friend who works at this college and set up this event, Maybe we have Ins Waivers next time like we did for WTW

I would think the guys on the tube that thought it would be funny to throw her off would have some liability in it. If you were driving straight, and she fell due to getting "thrown off", then they were at fault. Of course you would need one of them or a witness to the event

I would think the guys on the tube that thought it would be funny to throw her off would have some liability in it. If you were driving straight, and she fell due to getting "thrown off", then they were at fault. Of course you would need one of them or a witness to the event

Ya they felt really bad, Looks like the School will take care of everything, I do have a 1000.00 for minor injury's and can be used for co pay etc, But looks like I wont have to turn in a claim, Fortunate this time, I think this is a good time to really look over our Ins policy's, On the Big events we are always covered, Its taking our friends kids out that worry's me...

....... Its taking our friends kids out that worry's me...

Buy the umbrella policy and be as careful as you can, then stop worrying and have fun. You are paying the insurance agent/company to be there when you can't shake the black cloud. Like 85 Barefoot mentioned you are not strictly liable (automatically) if you are acting like a reasonably responsible adult. If you are being careful you aren't anymore at risk pulling the neighbor kid behind the boat than you are taking them in the car to pizza hut or letting one of them spend the night with your kids and having one fall on the rip stick in your driveway.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

Vince, do you have a umbrella policy? I took a 1.5 million policy out just for this reason. Everyone is your friend until they get hurt... We take a lot of kids on our boat.

Sorry about your injury, I hope you can get it resolved.

Vince, do you have a umbrella policy? I took a 1.5 million policy out just for this reason. Everyone is your friend until they get hurt... We take a lot of kids on our boat.

Sorry about your injury, I hope you can get it resolved.

Yes I do, And I talked to my agent and I would be well covered, Glad I added that policy it's only 13.75 Per month but looks like well worth it, So far no Claim but it's good to no!! Edited by Wakesetter67

Just remember the umbrella will generally require underlying amounts of insurance. Make sure you don't have any gaps between the primary policy and the umbrella or you will have some exposure. The umbrella policy sould state the required amounts of underlying policy limits.

x1000 on the umbrella policy! If your reading this and don't have one, you owe it two yourself to look in to it. Like a previous poster noted, the correct primary policy needs to be in force for the umbrella to work, but it is piece of mind to have one in case the unexpected happens.

• Like 1